General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 Best Mods for First Time Harley Owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2024, 11:37 AM
Black Ultra
Road Captain
Received 547 Likes on 283 Posts

I tend to agree with the engine guards for bikes that don't come stock with them, particularly for new riders. There are 2 kinds of riders, those that have layed a bike over and those that will.

Old 01-19-2024, 11:53 AM
MXJunky
Cruiser
Received 323 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by bduds65
I would agree with most of that. However, yeah, I would list the engine guard as last. I would also combine grips with the handlebars - just because you are already there. Everyone has their preference. Mine is the HD Get-a-Grip since they are ergonomic and rippled so you do not slip if you are caught in the rain. I have them on both of my bikes. Those grips were a deal-breaker for choosing my bars.

Other than slip-ons, I would say stage II or III would not make the list. Nothing is cheap and this is all about getting you down the road comfortably. Not sure about y'all but my bike came with some mods but I did the bars and grips before I took delivery. Last year was the engine guard and lights. This year will be the seat. Basically it's a 5-year plan for my essentials. I would guess an 8 year plan overall to get the bike I wish I would have found at the dealership.
One of the first mods MXJ did to his Street Bob was installing a pair of Hart Luck full-waffle grips to make it feel more like a dirt bike.

Old 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
1185Wak#her18
Road Captain
Received 319 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Ultra
I tend to agree with the engine guards for bikes that don't come stock with them, particularly for new riders. There are 2 kinds of riders, those that have layed a bike over and those that will.
The first thing I did to my 2018 Heritage was add engine guards.
More for putting highway pegs on for comfort but is nice to have if a tip over would occur.

In 63,000 miles it hasn’t happened yet.

I just jinxed myself.

Old 01-19-2024, 08:30 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 5,628 Likes on 3,081 Posts

Everything in that list gets changed on mine, too, but that is not my top 5 (now that the chopped EG comes on the touring bike, I would not have to change that)

1. Aftermarket camshaft
2. Aftermarket exhaust
3. Air Cleaner upgrade (SE actually has decent ones in this category)
4. Aftermarket tuner and dyno tuning
5. Suspension