General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 Reasons Why Harley-Davidson Expects a Rough 2024

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 01:36 PM
Jed Clampett
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,078 Likes on 890 Posts

Originally Posted by panheadache
I've always said HD needs to have a tiger team that visits local runs and rides and see what the masses are doing and produce a product that has mass appeal. ..
I can't count the number of times that I saw Willie G at an event back in the day. He even said himself, one reason he went was to see what folks were doing to their bikes and how he could incorporate those things into factory models.

The following users liked this post:
Old New Rider (03-08-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 12:51 PM
Old New Rider
Road Master
Received 310 Likes on 248 Posts

Very few Indians around here in their home state - Minnesota. Riding around the Twin Cities Metro for 3 years, I've only noticed one or two. All the rest Harleys, with an occasional Suisaki.

Minneapolis St. Paul are Harley Towns, similar to Milwaukee. Polaris doing ok at overpriced dune buggies, not so much motorcycles, having failed once already. Their snowmobiles were always crap, and it doesn't snow as much anymore, they're not selling.

This said, new management at Harley ain't makin' it, either. IDGAF about 'woke' or whatever the cultural warfare term of the month is, but I do care about morphing into your poor competitor. Shows management doesn't know what they're doing. Again. AMF II

Last edited by Old New Rider; 03-08-2024 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-08-2024, 12:58 PM
Old New Rider
Road Master

Originally Posted by Mr.Softy
You can always take a saw to them.
JFC - that thing looks like something from a movie future thing......Rollerball or Mad Max.

Old 03-08-2024, 01:08 PM
Old New Rider
Road Master

Originally Posted by downzero
I was there last year and the only ones I saw came off the demo truck. There were more Japanese motorcycles than Indians from any era.

I demoed the Chieftain and was hoping to like it but it was terrible. The transmission was clunky when cold and it had the check engine light on and a cylinder misfire even though it only had 150 miles on the odometer. The guy suggested that I should ride the other models that had a radiator, to which I told him hell no (water cooled motorcycles are against my religion). I really wanted to give the "other" American motorcycle brand a chance to impress me and instead the bike left a sour taste in my mouth and rode like a giant pile of crap for being a brand new motorcycle that costs as much as a Harley-Davidson.

As much as I am not a fan of H-D and some of their corporate decisions, I find it hard to believe that the revived Indian motorcycles are any real threat to them at this time. The real problem is that the population who wants a conventional Harley-Davidson is aging, and my generation doesn't have the income to buy durable goods like motorcycles. Wages/salaries have stagnated for the last 40+ years (depending on where you're at in the income bracket). We make less on average than our parents did when inflation is taken into account. It's hard to sell a premium brand to people who are the first generation to make less money than our parents. Maybe 10 years from now, those of us who chose not to have children will be able to splurge on expensive things like new motorcycles.
Yes. I couldn't afford a Harley until I retired at 61. Rode a couple of Hondas prior. But I do a lot more than bike, and corporations the last 40 years worked the **** out of us. Little time for R&R. If all I did was bike, I likely could have afforded a Harley.

Think about it - post WWII vets came back and lived the good life, union jobs, decent work hours, no electronic gizmos. You rode your bike.

I'm enjoying the **** outta the Harley today, and wouldn't have bought anything else, but yeah, younger generations have a million other distractions that we didn't have growing up, and don't get paid as well as we did relative to the price of things today. Pretty obvious what was gonna happen, no?

Old 03-09-2024, 10:21 AM
downzero
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by Old New Rider
Yes. I couldn't afford a Harley until I retired at 61. Rode a couple of Hondas prior. But I do a lot more than bike, and corporations the last 40 years worked the **** out of us. Little time for R&R. If all I did was bike, I likely could have afforded a Harley.

Think about it - post WWII vets came back and lived the good life, union jobs, decent work hours, no electronic gizmos. You rode your bike.

I'm enjoying the **** outta the Harley today, and wouldn't have bought anything else, but yeah, younger generations have a million other distractions that we didn't have growing up, and don't get paid as well as we did relative to the price of things today. Pretty obvious what was gonna happen, no?
Bought my first Harley-Davidson at 23 years old. I'm 40 now and still have my second and third. I have never had a new one. I suppose I could buy a new one tomorrow if I had to have one, but it looks like Harley-Davidson is not committed to keeping the air cooled simplicity forever so I may never have a new one. To me, riding a motorcycle with a radiator is like riding a fat girl or driving a Korean car, it's a level of personal insult that you won't see me doing. I can only hope they oust the shoe boy so they realize that if I wanted a Gold Wing, I'd buy one.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle G. (03-09-2024)