General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Harley Boutique

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2024, 11:04 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,922 Likes on 6,260 Posts

My friend's shop is very professional until 6PM on Fridays. Then the parking lot looks like a bike show, and the stereo gets turned up, People show up with more beer.
Once in a while, someone fills a rubber glove with pure oxygen or acetylene from the cutting torch, goes outside and lights it. In the summer, all 8 bay doors are open.
Sometimes a bike gets worked on, with advice on how to do it from about 10-12 guys.

The following 3 users liked this post by RHPAW:
profmlb (04-02-2024), tar_snake (04-03-2024), WorkForIt (04-05-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 12:55 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,867 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Harley corporate doesn't want to deal with a small mom and pop dealer selling 5 bikes a year. They want the large conglomerate with several large dealerships selling hundreds of bikes per year. That's why dealerships nowadays are huge buildings with 50+ bikes in them, a huge merchandise section and a large parts department.

Don't think this is limited to Harley either. I know of two small John Deere dealerships that are no longer in existence because JD corporate didn't renew their contract.

Yes, I loved the dealerships of 30 years ago also but we aren't living in those times anymore. My world is the same. The days of Marcus Welby, MD are long gone. Your corner family doctor that makes house calls with their office in the basement of their house is a memory. Now, you go to a doctor's office that has ten doctors seeing hundreds of patients per day. You wait an hour to be seen for 5 minutes, pay your $20 copay and then leave with a smile and the KY jelly still dripping out of your *******. A few weeks later you get your EOB from the insurance company explaining why they paid the doctor pennies on the dollar and that you owe the doctor 90% of the bill.

The following 5 users liked this post by Bone Doc:
Calif Fat Bob (04-03-2024), Goose_NC (04-03-2024), pyuchem (04-03-2024), smitty901 (04-02-2024), Walter White (04-03-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 01:11 PM
HiDrag
Road Captain
Received 298 Likes on 156 Posts

You guys spend too much time at dealers, and not enough time riding.

The following 3 users liked this post by HiDrag:
Buelligan666 (04-02-2024), davekp (04-02-2024), Tommy C (04-02-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 02:11 PM
profmlb
Cruiser
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubba Zanetti
I remember the old days. You'd walk into a dealership and right away you saw stains on the floor and the air smelled like motor oil and gasoline combustion, there was usually some old greybeard behind the counter smoking a cigarette, there was a rack with some shirts (mostly all black) hats and leather jackets. There were a few motorcycles for sale.

There was a guy in the back named Butch or Buzz, or something like that, turning wrenches, he was probably missing a finger or two. He might have been missing some teeth too. If you asked this man a question about a part or how to install something he knew exactly what he was talking about when he answered you.
There were rows and rows of parts for sale, some new and some used.
You could hang around and have a beer. There might be a party or a bike night event going on. Maybe a band. Ah yes, I remember the old days...
Boy that does bring back some fond memories. I remember going to the largest Harley dealer in Portland and was looking at one of the six bikes on the showroom complete with dirty display cases with almost nothing in them. The wrench/owner/sales guy come out of the back and asked if I was interested in a new Harley, and then said he was ready for a ride just pick one of the bikes out and lets go. He rolled down the garage door, lock the side door and we went for a couple hour ride, OH YEA.

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (04-03-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 03:53 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,879 Likes on 1,480 Posts

Originally Posted by CaffeineBuzz

boutique

noun

bou·​tique bü-ˈtēk
often attributive
Synonyms of boutique
a
: a small shop dealing in fashionable clothing or accessories
b
: a small shop within a large department store
: a small company that offers highly specialized services or products
boutique wineries
an independent investment boutique
boutiquey
bü-ˈtē-kē
adjective

nothing about a dealership is like a boutique....a small mom and pop motorcycle shop, ya know, the kind that are going away....those are actually a closer depiction of what an actual boutique is all about
I am going to disagree. Have you been to harley dealer? Get your wife some nice shoes, maybe a purse to match her new blouse. Get yourself ring, to match belt buckle. Sneak in something to put on wall of living room. I like the new metal eagle and bar and shield myself But most of the clothes are to causual friday yuppie for me.

GOGOBECK (04-05-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 04:02 PM
CaffeineBuzz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,468 Likes on 4,148 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
I am going to disagree. Have you been to harley dealer? Get your wife some nice shoes, maybe a purse to match her new blouse. Get yourself ring, to match belt buckle. Sneak in something to put on wall of living room. I like the new metal eagle and bar and shield myself But most of the clothes are to causual friday yuppie for me.
the 80's called, they want their term for boujee folks back....c'mon....who still refers to them as yuppies?

Calif Fat Bob (04-03-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 04:14 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by CaffeineBuzz
the 80's called, they want their term for boujee folks back....c'mon....who still refers to them as yuppies?
You don't hear it. But it is what us peasants call the people on CVOs.
Have you heard the names for the new colors? An interior decorator came up with them.
Pick your wife up a nice bracelet and get the infinity necklace with earrings go with it. Maybe the signature earrings and clutch to put them when you go riding

Old 04-02-2024, 04:16 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Get some fuzzy slippers for after the ride, no one will ask why they are size 11.

Old 04-02-2024, 05:59 PM
profmlb
Cruiser
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Riding is where it's at

Originally Posted by brakeless
Going back maybe 30 years or so I remember the "It ain't about riding anymore, it's a friggin fashion show" saying on lots of things. It started a long time ago. Motorcycle sales fell and the dealerships discovered they were selling more of the clothing line. I can't recall the latest % but that's what's keeping HD afloat. There are clothing and memorabilia stores only in several places. I remember stopping in a some only to discover you couldn't even buy a quart of oil!
I will proudly admit I'm going back more than 30 years ago, back when asked why I owned and rode a Harley my reply was always "if I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand". Some people get it and ride, some people have garage queens and will never understand.

From the movie Wild Hogs: Damien Blade : Why do you think I don't wear the colors, Jack? Why do you think I ride alone? 'Cause you don't know about it anymore. I think you all oughta get back on your bikes and go out and ride the highway until you remember what riding's all about.

Red : Let it go, Jack.

Jack : [turns to face the four, then to Damien, pats his shoulder] Ok, Pop.

Damien Blade : [shakes his head, smiling] Takes after his mom.

[Jack gets on his bike and leaves, the Del Fuegos follow]

Old 04-02-2024, 06:32 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,800 Likes on 2,727 Posts

I heard a couple of years ago, (have not fact checked) that the Moco has more revenue in tee shirt sales than Indian does in motorcycle sales.

The following 2 users liked this post by gonemad:
brakeless (04-03-2024), Goose_NC (04-03-2024)

Quick Reply: The Harley Boutique