General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MoCo's Q1 2024 numbers not so bright and shiny.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2024, 08:12 PM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,076 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
They had a profit of 1.5 billion dollars
Which was less than 5% same period last year. I am not sure how much crying you want to do over 5%, when making 1.5 billion. Harley will be scrutinizing. Businesses always want to grow. But they made 1.5 billion. And are 5% less than last year, you could dissect 5% loss any way you want.
$1.5B sounds impressive until you put it in context.

Here's some figures from the 12/31/23 Balance Sheet (Fiscal Year Ending in December) *Figures are millions.
Total Assets Chart for Total Assets annual trend. 12,141 (That's $12.1 billion.)
Total Liabilities Chart for Total Liabilities annual trend. 8,888 (That's $8.9 billion.)

For 2024, analysts estimate HOG will generate revenues of $4.6B, a decrease of 20.37% over the prior year's results.
For 2024, analysts estimate
HOG will earn $4.40 non-GAAP per share, a decrease of 9.63% over the prior year's non-GAAP results.

The analysts are folks that do investment research for a living; they are number crunching, market analyzing types - guided by neither passion nor prejudice.

Sneaker Boy answers to a Board who answer to shareholders. Some where distantly removed from that arena are those of us who just like the motorcycles. We judge Sneaker Boy and his decisions with our purchase power. Some of his decisions, at the touch point of the dealership experience leave some less than enthusiastic some places sometimes.

Last edited by Jehu; 05-03-2024 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-03-2024, 08:54 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,943 Likes on 1,530 Posts

1.5 billion for the quarter down 5%, your numbers are for the year I believe. As I said big companies always increase no matter how much they make. I realize it is about stock price and getting people to invest. I am just not panicing HD will go under.

My other point, is Honda is no where even close. As I suspect the other Japs. BMW I believe has strong global sales outside of US.

My concern whether doing good or bad, would be a foreign company buying them, if the dollar was weak. Look at Bud and Miller, Chrysler.

Old 05-04-2024, 08:08 AM
stratplexi
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,027 Likes on 532 Posts

What this report tells us is what everyone knows….a slow but continual slide of the brand. Everything using the Rev Max is continuing to slide and the Live Wire has been a money pit from the start. The Live Wire may prove to be the most expensive mistake in Harley’s history. Hundreds of million pumped into this giant loser.

Harley needs another traditional engine that is smaller…like a baby M8. The Rev Max was too much of a departure from the crown jewel that makes Harley what it is….45 degree twins, single pin crank, stroke longer than bore size, firing timing, etc.

They can keep the Rev Max for the Adventure crowd and those who want the absolute best performance but the market is saying it doesn’t want it at Harley’s price point or with all the substandard fit and finishes ar that price point. We know they dropped the pice on 975 Sportsters for 2024 by around $2K to help but I don’t think its going to work. There is still way too much plastic on those bikes and it is way too cluttered overall. The design has no mechanical beauty. The sound and soul is gone.

I say try again…a baby M8 that is oil cooled like the Softail lineup but in smaller and lighter Sportster. Make it a solid mount like the Softail lineup so the frame is lighter and less expensive to make. I believe a 975 and 1275 M8 like this would sell. Fit and finish would need to be back to what Harley is known for…just like the Softails. And pricing would need to be less than Softails and competitive for their size.

The good news from this report is the Grand American Touring bikes seem to be in demand and keeping things healthy. I think the new design has been well received and demand should continue forward as riders look to move off of rushmore bikes and get on an M8. A lot of those bikes are either going to need an engine overhaul or replaced.

Last edited by stratplexi; 05-04-2024 at 08:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tngarren (05-05-2024)
Old 05-04-2024, 08:45 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Electric vehicles are stumbling, for sure. But they are a big part of the future, Will livewire pay off in time, I don't know. If they would have put it in something bigger it might have done better. Bags, windshield. Not a touring bike, but something useful. Though people buy little cruisers still.

You need to cater to the dying demographic, but you still need to look the future. Maybe panamerica, a bike with technology, when worked out, might play a part. Have enough boomers died that something buelish might sell?

Old 05-04-2024, 09:34 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,648 Likes on 3,103 Posts

The Live Wire Charging station at Tobacco Road Harley in Raleigh has been Out of Service since I can remember. With an additional 117 bikes on the road Q1 (nationally?) I suspect that won't change anytime soon.

I pay attention to financing offers from automotive and motorcycle manufacturers as an indication of sales health. It seems everyone is offering special financing. It's not just Harley looking down the road.

Old 05-04-2024, 05:17 PM
panheadache
Road Master
Received 665 Likes on 323 Posts

deleted curmudgeon response. why bother

Last edited by panheadache; 05-04-2024 at 05:24 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by panheadache:
back again (05-06-2024), Calif Fat Bob (05-07-2024)
Old 05-04-2024, 11:17 PM
Ingramite
Road Master
Received 1,269 Likes on 545 Posts
Default I flipped my patch in 1972

In 1999 I stopped wearing the bar and shield altogether.
Today I wear no branded gear whatsoever.

Harley Davidson stopped supporting my motorcycle and I stopped supporting their company.
Their company, not mine.

The following users liked this post:
Petesstreet (05-16-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 04:44 AM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,516 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Harley gets credit on Wall Street for sticking to their 5 year strategic plan they announced in 2021 i.e. improve their margins by focusing on their core products i.e. touring bikes/trikes, large cruisers and keep promoting adventure bikes.
They beat both sales and eps estimates for the last quarter and reaffirmed their forward guidance. The overseas segments were very weak with the exception of Latin America and the North American market was solid. The very strong US Dollar will be a drag on exports for multinational corporations for the time being. Analysts are estimating EPS growth of 13-15% for the next 3 years and the average rating is a buy on the stock.
Harley sales are not showroom sales but channel sales and they purposely slowed down the dealer inventories last quarter and they are picking up again.
My personal opinion is they stumbled in their transition from the 2022 touring platform to the 2024 but the new touring bikes are being well received now and should help going forward.

Old 05-05-2024, 08:27 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ingramite
In 1999 I stopped wearing the bar and shield altogether.
Today I wear no branded gear whatsoever.

Harley Davidson stopped supporting my motorcycle and I stopped supporting their company.
Their company, not mine.
I've gone slightly the other way. When I started riding, I wore little harley stuff. Harley riders could be dicks to jap riders, now most came from there. Plus you got the guys who wear it top to bottom, and the guys who don;t ride, which may be part of more than one category. After years, I realize i have a bunch of them, and have to face facts, I like harleys.

I got a bootleg $5 hat. But rule is no more than one branded item on at a time. Don't wear it often, but I faced facts, I do own harleys.

Old 05-05-2024, 01:36 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,482 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Originally Posted by kojak
Harley gets credit on Wall Street for sticking to their 5 year strategic plan they announced in 2021 i.e. improve their margins by focusing on their core products i.e. touring bikes/trikes, large cruisers and keep promoting adventure bikes.
They beat both sales and eps estimates for the last quarter and reaffirmed their forward guidance. The overseas segments were very weak with the exception of Latin America and the North American market was solid. The very strong US Dollar will be a drag on exports for multinational corporations for the time being. Analysts are estimating EPS growth of 13-15% for the next 3 years and the average rating is a buy on the stock.
Harley sales are not showroom sales but channel sales and they purposely slowed down the dealer inventories last quarter and they are picking up again.
My personal opinion is they stumbled in their transition from the 2022 touring platform to the 2024 but the new touring bikes are being well received now and should help going forward.
Well something isn't adding up IMHO. March 2024 stock price was a high of $43.94 per share, today it's $35.03 per share. To me that a drop of 20% since they announced the 1st quarter sales, so someone sure thinks its not all rosie at HD. While I do not believe their going to close the doors, I'm sure there is going to be more tighten of the belt so to speak at HD.

The following 2 users liked this post by Steve Cole:
Jehu (05-05-2024), panheadache (05-06-2024)

Quick Reply: MoCo's Q1 2024 numbers not so bright and shiny.