General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW AND NEED A BIKE !!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 02:29 PM
austiny
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW AND NEED A BIKE !!

Hey Guys and Gals, just found your great site and need some good advice!

I am 62 getting ready to retire, and always wanted to do some riding.

I have been looking at the bikes for sale on the net and really like the style of the V-Rod.

I had a Sportster about 20 years ago, but sold it after two years as it scared me riding in the big city, but am in the country now.

I have been a little apprehensive about the weight of these bikes, but yesterday I was driving behind a long haired guy, on a large Harley. All his hair was totally white and hung down below his helmet, when I pulled up next to him at the stoplight, it turned out to be a 70 year old lady. I decided that if she could do it, so could I.

I am in pretty good shape but am a long time smoker, no wind much, but am not sure if that matters.

I will not be doing any long trips, or off road, just tooling around the local country side.

I am sure you have been ask these questions many times here, but how about some constructive advice. Are there any of you about my age?

What do you think about my choice of bikes?

I will be looking for a used bike under $10,000.
Austin

Old 08-31-2007, 02:34 PM
pkenyon1
Road Captain
Default RE: NEW AND NEED A BIKE !!

welcome

great to hear from you and its about time you did what you really wanted!

Get your bike, choose the one you fancy the most, clearly seating position and weight will have a lot to do with it.

I would suggest you try a new bike with ABS for obvious reasons

Im from the UK so dont know the US pricing but this you should find something in the price range you need, or at least close to it.

You get one shot...mae the most of it.

Good luck and let us know how you get on..

Welcome to our BIG family, you wont regret it.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:35 PM
bgismo20
Road Warrior

Unfortunately $10,000 wont buy ya too much. You can get a New Sportster for that much, or you can get a Mid 90s softail. Im not sure what used Vrods run, but i doubt $10K will be enough. There are deals everywhere though. As far as what you can ride, take a MSF course, itll help get your skills back in par & get you comfortable on a bike again,

BG

Old 08-31-2007, 02:38 PM
SpeedsterX
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the a Forums Austin!!!

Now go get that Harley and ride!!

Old 08-31-2007, 02:38 PM
Cynic
Road Captain

Hey, austiny
You'll be glad to be back in the wind on any of the new bikes.
Either the V-Rod or the Dyna would be much more user friendly and more confidence inspiring than your old Sportster was. Have you considered the new rubber mounted Sportster too?

I'm 57 with some skeletal issues from a few nasty spills, but nothing a good ride doesn't cure.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:51 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

theres alot out there for 10 grand check around you can probally find a low milage superglide thats a couple years old. softails to me have the best center of gavity and feel the most balanced because of seat hieght and position you can pick up a used softail for that much easily. vrods feel the lightest to me and are very easy to drive your just limited on handle bars which can make or break a comfortable ride. you can always get custom bars but that can be expensive. My person favorite is the FXRs and you might be able to get lucky and score a Sreaming Eagle FXR for around that price which is what i have been seeing lately thats the best deal there is in my opinion

Old 08-31-2007, 03:17 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the boards. In my opinion, at 62, a V-Rod would kill your back as you have to lean forward. I'd get a bike with buckhorns or mini apes. Just my opinion, though.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:19 PM
Fat Henry
Road Warrior

Welcome back to the riding side of life. I am 57 and last month I did a 1400 mile jaunt on a blockhead Fat Boy. I love this bike, it is so much a part of me I could never get rid of it, but I rode 14 hrs coming home only stopping for fuel and food. When I got home I was afraid I'd have to have the OL help me off because my hips were frozen. If you think you you might do any seat time over two hours or so I would recommend looking at a touring bike. You can lower them and set them up to you with-out much trouble or expense. Just my .02 worth. What ever you do I'm sure you will love it.

Old 08-31-2007, 04:59 PM
DocHarley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say a Fatboy, not to heavy not to light, great for long trips or just around town. Try looking on flee... I mean Ebay forstarters.Good luck to youand.... WELCOME TO THE CLUB!!!!!

Old 08-31-2007, 05:17 PM
ZeroFiveFour
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Austiny,

You should be able to get a fairly recent,Super Glide or Super Glide Custom with extremely low miles for around 10k from the right seller, basically a new bike. After a very quick search on ebay I spotted a 2006 and a 2005Super Glidefor very close to 10k. Here is a link to one going fora bit over 10k, with extremely low miles.

If you find the right bike and right buyer you could get a really nice almost brand new bike for nearly 10k, I wouldn't settle for less if I were you. Lots of guys buy these bikes on impulse and either dont ride them,or cant afford them. Their loss can be your gain. Congratulations on retirement and Good luck.

Tom/054

link to ebay auction below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...spagenameZWDVW

Quick Reply: NEW AND NEED A BIKE !!