Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   American Flag Patch (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/146468-american-flag-patch.html)

Chief40al 09-01-2007 05:30 PM

American Flag Patch

I want to sew a flagpatch on my vest on the upper front sholder..
What side is proper, right sholder or left sholder and what way should the stars be facing?

WVICEMAN 09-01-2007 05:39 PM

RE: American Flag Patch

It goes on the left side above your heart.

snakeinthegrass 09-01-2007 05:50 PM

Left shoulder Stars facing forward (stripes to your back) Opposite for right shoulder. Just had mine sewed on at local military base. Theyare supposed to knowwhere it goes. They make left and right shoulder flags. Hope that helps. Check out your local NG or Army Guard Unit. Check out pictures of GI's in uniform on the internet.

Arizona Flash 09-01-2007 06:13 PM

Everyone above is basically correct. There is an official flag code, "United States Code Title 4, Chapter 1", that the government officially follows. But it does not get into specifics about where to wear a flag patch, except in saying that the field of stars should be closest to your heart. It is generally accepted that if you are going to wear a flag patch on your chest, it is on the left side and the flag has the stars on the left side of the patch as you are looking at it. If it's on the shoulder, the position of the stars is such that it looks like it is waving as you are moving forward. However, this is only the generally accepted method. When it comes to the government, it is up to the organization on which way the flag faces when on the shoulder.

hdpearson13 09-01-2007 06:17 PM

we were it on right shoulder stars forward the way it would be if we were running forward. Symbolizes alway forward or never retreat

Spicy McHaggis 09-01-2007 08:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Chief40al

What side is proper, right sholder or left sholder and what way should the stars be facing?
put it wherever you please.

Scuba Steve 09-04-2007 03:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Spicy McHaggis

Unlike most things, there is proper etiquettein the presentation of our flag. If you cannot display it properly, please do not display it at all.

wisemx 09-04-2007 03:16 PM

Thanks for checking to make sure it's displayed properly Chief.

Here's a good site for future ref:
http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagetiq.html

cadillac 09-04-2007 03:17 PM

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagetiq.html

bob

47Norton 09-04-2007 03:38 PM

Better back your truck upa little bit there spicy. There are a lot of us here that wouldn't appreciate that sentiment.The man is trying to do the right thing and show respect.

usmv16 09-04-2007 04:11 PM

Some of my friends and I had to "educate" a young man once...he showed up at a rally and there were a lot Veterans there... this youg man had the purple and orange spiked hair, piercings galore, those spiked cuffs, he had a vest on with all kinds of interesting things on it, but what caught our "attention" was the flag on the RIGHT side of his vest...
UPSIDE DOWN !!!

He was corrected and duly sent on his way.....

mdewberry 09-04-2007 04:47 PM

In reference to the flag flying the right way. In military words, the only way the american flag flies upside down is to indicate a fort or base that has been overtaken by hostile enemys. Communication is the first to go down on a base overtaken. Upside down means we need HELP!! As a vet, it makes me proud to know that you want to wear Ol Glory and wear it correctly!!! In todays world, alot of people are embarrassed to wear the flag. The only time people get patriotic is when the country is delivered a blow from enemy's foreign or domestic, or when mother nature reeks havoc.

Chief40al 09-04-2007 07:20 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.
I had it sown on the left front top edge of my vest with the stars to the center of my body.

PS I dont have strange color hair and a lot of piercings.
I do have a tattoo of old glory on my forearm, and proud of it.[sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=biker2.gif]

mchildree 09-04-2007 07:33 PM

Great thread, and very timely....my wife is firing up her sewing machine as I read this, and we were wondering the same thing a couple of days ago when we bought our flag patches.

MNPGRider 09-04-2007 10:53 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.
I had it sown on the left front top edge of my vest with the stars to the center of my body.

PS I dont have strange color hair and a lot of piercings.
I do have a tattoo of old glory on my forearm, and proud of it.[sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=biker2.gif]
You did it right. Thanks for asking. It does make a difference to many veterans.

Don't put anything above it on your vest. There should be no higher patch or pin. Here's a link that was just completed (or still being working on)-about flag etiquette. This is a group of Mn disabled veterans who have compiled this after much research.

http://home.att.net/~militarysalute3/index.html

Chief40al 09-05-2007 04:42 AM

Thanks for the great info.[sm=biker2.gif]

Obi68 09-05-2007 05:05 AM

good info. thanks.

Obi

Blackisfast 09-05-2007 07:38 AM

Note that laws change...veterans, in or out of uniform, are now specifically authorized to render a hand salute.

AN ACT

To amend title 4, United States Code, to prescribe that members of the Armed Forces and veterans out of uniform may render the military salute during hoisting, lowering, or passing of flag.[ul] Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,[/ul]SECTION 1. CONDUCT BY MEMBERS OF THE ARMED FORCES AND VETERANS OUT OF UNIFORM DURING HOISTING, LOWERING, OR PASSING OF FLAG.[ul]Section 9 of title 4, United States Code, is amended by striking `all persons present' and all that follows through the end and inserting `those present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Citizens of other countries should stand at attention. All such conduct toward the flag in a moving column should be rendered at the moment the flag passes.'.[/ul]Passed the Senate July 25, 2007.
It feels *good*.

stillwater 09-05-2007 10:43 AM

It's a "free" country, right?

Unamed 09-05-2007 11:19 AM

ORIGINAL: stillwater

Yes the United States of America is a free country. Free because Brave Men and Women fought, died, and sacraficed all they had to give to make it that way. If anyone thinks its too much to ask to honor those Courageous Souls who gave all, then they can catch the first bus outta here in my opinion. Of course whether you do or dont they will still continue to die for you and keep this land safe and free.

Old Glory strikes fear into the hearts of our enemies when they seeher flying, because they know who is marching below that flag. Then it gives hope to people who have been downtrodden by a dictatorship or communist government, because they know who is marching below that flag.

Tom Ricci 09-05-2007 11:30 AM

Great post, says it all!

MNPGRider 09-05-2007 11:34 AM

Flag etiquette used to be enforced, until the Viet Nam era, and our courts in their infinite liberal wisdom declared that you can pretty much do anything you want to the flag under the guise of "free speech." Hence the now popular patch: "Try burning this one, asshole ! "

LowriderFXRS 09-05-2007 11:51 AM

usmv16: I had a similar experience one year during my town's Veterans Day parade. Next to me were two kids in their early teens, wrestling around and playing grab-ass as the Color Guard came up. I asked them to please stand up straight, take off their hats, and be quiet while the flag passed by. One look at my face told them I wasn't kidding. They did like I asked and a minute later an older guy who had been standing near by thanked me for squaring his kids away. I felt like back-handing him. These were his kids and he didn't have sense enough or balls enough to make them shape up and show respect to our flag? A sorry state of affairs.

Unamed 09-05-2007 02:46 PM

ORIGINAL: MNPGRider

Flag etiquette used to be enforced, until the Viet Nam era, and our courts in their infinite liberal wisdom declared that you can pretty much do anything you want to the flag under the guise of "free speech." Hence the now popular patch: "Try burning this one, asshole ! "
I love that patch. And the one that says, "If you must burn theAmerican Flag, please wrap yourself in it first."

stillwater 09-05-2007 03:05 PM

ORIGINAL: Unamed

Yes the United States of America is a free country. Free because Brave Men and Women fought, died, and sacraficed all they had to give to make it that way. If anyone thinks its too much to ask to honor those Courageous Souls who gave all, then they can catch the first bus outta here in my opinion. Of course whether you do or dont they will still continue to die for you and keep this land safe and free.

Old Glory strikes fear into the hearts of our enemies when they seeher flying, because they know who is marching below that flag. Then it gives hope to people who have been downtrodden by a dictatorship or communist government, because they know who is marching below that flag.
No Disrespect intended at all. I too served my Country with honour. One's flag should always be given it's due regards.

Unamed 09-05-2007 03:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Unamed

No disrespect intended at all. I too served for my Country - although I was lucky and did during the early 80s where the closest one came to action was keeping the Turks and Greeks from killin' one another in Cyprus.

Thank you for your service man.

3power 09-05-2007 03:35 PM

Well, according to the link posted above, you are not following proper flag etiquette by wearing a flag - and a flag on a jacket would be considered wearing a flag:

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/images/red.gif Are flags on T-shirts, ties, etc., really flags?[/align]
http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/images/tieplus.jpg[/align]Yes. According to the Model Flag Desecration Law, the term "flag" was defined to include any flag, standard, ensign, or color, or any representation of such made of any substance whatsoever and of any size that evidently purported to be said flag or a picture or representation thereof, upon which shall be shown the colors, the stars and stripes in any number, or by which the person seeing the same without deliberation may believe the same to represent the flag of the U.S.
Source: Timeline of Flag Desecration Issues, see 1897[/align]
Therefore, a flag includes any representation of it of any substance, with stars and stripes of any number. This would include T-shirts and ties.
The Flag Code states that the flag should never be worn. (Section 8d): "The flag should never be used as wearing apparel."[/align]

blkdimon8 09-05-2007 05:39 PM

ORIGINAL: 3power

Therefore, a flag includes any representation of it of any substance, with stars and stripes of any number. This would include T-shirts and ties.
The Flag Code states that the flag should never be worn. (Section 8d): "The flag should never be used as wearing apparel."[/align]
You are correctthe Flag itself cannot be used as a wearing apparel ie; Using the flag itself as a robe, diaper, or towel..etc. Or taking a sheet and making a flag out of it and then using it as a sheet that is no no. Buta bandanna, t-shirt, or a sheetmade upwith the stars and stripes is a different story. It's about the purpose of any item made up with the Stars and Stripes so long as it was not designed to be used as a Flag. Having said that, alot of men and women have sacrificed for Our Flag.Andin the pursuit of freedom and liberty, men and women will continue to sacrifice and defend the rights of any individualto be as ignorant as they want to be. That's what makes America great.

Stache 09-05-2007 06:05 PM

Its a patch .. its not a flag. Wear it where ever you want.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1964762/tm.htm

P.S.

I bought a flag print sport shirt from the gift shop in a Federal Park ... Mt. Rushmore.

bosnmate 09-05-2007 06:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Scuba Steve

Unlike most things, there is proper etiquettein the presentation of our flag. If you cannot display it properly, please do not display it at all.
Quite true, if you don't wear it properly, then don't wear it.

It is quite simple, the star field of the flag has to be closest to the heart. If you want it on your right breast then you will need to purchase a reverse flag (flag looks backwards). If the flag is to be sewn on your left breast then you would use a regular flag patch. Also, the bottom edge of the flag is to be parallel to the ground as best as can be.

yomomma22 09-05-2007 07:15 PM

Very good post. I am new to this riding/patch wearing and have never heard of this befor. I knew not to put it on upside down of course but like the saying goes. You learn something new everyday. Thanks for the info and a HUGE thanks to those that stand up and protect the flag and our great country.

Spicy McHaggis 09-06-2007 08:46 PM

ORIGINAL: 47Norton

Better back your truck upa little bit there spicy. There are a lot of us here that wouldn't appreciate that sentiment.The man is trying to do the right thing and show respect.

I don't have a truck and my DD-214 and V.A. Disability percentage gives me the right to post.... "put it wherever you please."
After all, it's just a patch.

I get a bit upset with the ones that have embroidered words over the stripes and stars of the US Flag Patch.

Like the ones that say VET.

I don't go much for American Flag ties, shirts, shorts, or any of that other garbage.

That's very disrespectful.

bosnmate 09-07-2007 06:49 AM

ORIGINAL: 47Norton

I don't have a truck and my DD-214 and V.A. Disability percentage gives me the right to post.... "put it wherever you please."
After all, it's just a patch.

I get a bit upset with the ones that have embroidered words over the stripes and stars of the US Flag Patch.

Like the ones that say VET.

I don't go much for American Flag ties, shirts, shorts, or any of that other garbage.

That's very disrespectful.
I agree and don't agree with Spicey. If you are going to wear the flag patch, please wear it properly, there are prescribed ways for wearing and displaying the National Ensign. That isn't just a patch he is sewing on, it is the Flag of United States. The rest of what spicey doesn't like I agree with completely. The patch should be just the Flag with no embelishments and the flag pattern should never be used in clothing.

3power 09-07-2007 08:05 AM

ORIGINAL: blkdimon8

ORIGINAL: 3power

You are correctthe Flag itself cannot be used as a wearing apparel ie; Using the flag itself as a robe, diaper, or towel..etc. Or taking a sheet and making a flag out of it and then using it as a sheet that is no no. Buta bandanna, t-shirt, or a sheetmade upwith the stars and stripes is a different story. It's about the purpose of any item made up with the Stars and Stripes so long as it was not designed to be used as a Flag. Having said that, alot of men and women have sacrificed for Our Flag.Andin the pursuit of freedom and liberty, men and women will continue to sacrifice and defend the rights of any individualto be as ignorant as they want to be. That's what makes America great.

Umm first off, thanks for the "ignorant" comment ;) But, I think the verbiage is quite clear, unlike your interpretation. Read the whole article, it even states that a flag patch should never me used on an "athletic" uniform, etc. Personally, I don't care and I don't have any problem with anyone wearing it! But - if we are to take this etiquette as the flag bible, then we should really not just pick and choose which sections to observe, right?