General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A book by it's cover

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 06:16 PM
mistermooster
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A book by it's cover

There have been several threads about how we (as bikers/riders/motorcyclists) arelooked at by others: how some people avoid making eye contact;how theygive us plenty of space;even about how wescare kids. I had an experience afew years ago that went the other way.

I rode into a gas station one summer's dayto tank up. It was hot, I was sweaty, and not in a particular good mood. I had been going through a hard time. I hadn't shaved for a few days, Iwore a faded black T-shirt, ragged jeans,thick boots, gloves, shades... you get the picture. I'm 6'2", 240 pounds, and even when I'm in a good mood, my wife says I look mean and scare people. It's just my face I guess, or maybe I've learned to look that way from working around inmates 12 hours a day.

I had just dismounted and was getting ready to pump my gas, when I heard a woman's voice frombehind; "Excuse me, can you help me, please?" I turned, expecting to see a homeless woman asking for a buck or two. It happens all the time here. Instead, there stood a nicely dressed woman... 80, if she was a day. She proceeded to tell me that her husband had just passed away a week ago, and he had always filled their car. She had no idea how to use the pump. She didn't even know where to put the credit card. I thought of my mother.

I took the card that she held out, got the pump going, and began filling her car. As we stood there, I looked around, noticing that there were a dozen other people around that she could have asked for help. They all looked more approachable than I did. As I screwed the gas cap back on, and hung up the nozzle, she said, "Thank you." And then, "My husband used to ride a motorcycle, and he was a nice man, so I knew you'd be nice, too." The smile she gave me had sadness around the edges, but it was a smile just the same.
"You're welcome," was all I could manage.

Admittedly, her logic was flawed. But it worked out for her, this time. And it did my heart good to run into someone that looked beyond outward appearances. It was a good day after that. Maybe I had needed her help, more than she needed mine.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:21 PM
CarolinaDoc
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A book by it's cover

Kinda brought a tear to my eye. I'm sure that made your day.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:26 PM
officespacedout!
Banned

Yup… I think she just had the ability to see through all the B.S… she saw all those other people and new they have the “I’m to important disease” you were the only real person there in her eye’s.
And besides I haven’t met one bikerthat wouldn’t stop and help an old lady…

Old 09-10-2007, 06:33 PM
akenaten
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That was a good thing you did. Good Karma.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:34 PM
gmanegc
Cruiser

Thanks for sharing, man. You represented a lot of us that day, and you did it with a lot of class.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:39 PM
DanDeuce
Road Captain

I learned a long time ago looks can be decieving . As a 23 year old on a very hot strenuous job I got a terrible nose bleed , always have as a child and still do at times . Well , one of the biggest , meanest , toughest bikers I ever saw stopped and helped clean me up and make sure all was OK . Over the years I've grown to look pissed off at the world , ALWAYS MAD !!! , as friends would say . Not so , probably tear my arm off and I would not squeak , emotionally a big softy . You cannot tell a book by it's cover and that goes for everybody regardless of race , creed or color .

Old 09-10-2007, 06:42 PM
onephsyco1
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: gmanegc

Thanks for sharing, man. You represented a lot of us that day, and you did it with a lot of class.
+1

Jack

Old 09-10-2007, 07:11 PM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: onephsyco1

+1

Jack
+1 more.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:21 PM
lbjohnson1
Road Master

Couldn't agree more, Thank goodness there are some wise people out there like the elderly lady you helped.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:46 PM
Cynic
Road Captain

Great story!....... I'd say she had a pretty good reason for picking you out of the bunch.

Quick Reply: A book by it's cover