General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Share with us the story of your first Harley ride.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 08:18 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Share with us the story of your first Harley ride.

my story doesn't go back that far.... just to May this year. I "borrowed" a Street Bob from El Cajon HD - and spent the next 2 hrsonthe mountainous, twisting roads of Southern Califonia - everyone knew I was hooked when I got back. so.... I'm now the proud papa of an '08Fatboy.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:37 PM
madden23
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First ride was a '78 shovelhead, not mine a co-worker let me ride his( I had a 650 Triumph at the time, and funny thing was he never let anyone near his bike, let alone ride it I was really surprised when he tossed me the keys and said try it out.) Well, kept the Triumph for a few more years but I knew I'd buy a Harley someday, ain't nothing like it! Peace.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:51 PM
Slick02
Tourer

It was in January and 26 degrees, I looked at that bikefor 3 days and couldnt wait any longer. The tarp over it on the trailer was covered in ice like an igloo.( I put the tarpover it when I got home becausethe forcast was rain turning to ice.) After the ice on the roads cleared, I peeled off the tarp, started her up and rolledoff the trailer and down the road I went. Damn it was cold but I rode MY Heritage...is that just cool or what? I still feel that way every time I swing a leg over it

Old 09-27-2007, 09:30 AM
BWLucky13
Road Master

In 1963, I rode my first Harley--an Italian 250cc. It was a good solid bike that performed well for its' displacement. I don't remember it as being anything to write home about. The Triumphs were real head turners back then. But, it was a buddy's Zundapp that was most impressive to me. That bike couldn't have been half as good as I remember it to be--smooth as silk, powerful, and rode like a limo.

The St. Augustine Concours (Riding Into History) brings back a lot of memories andis absolutely incredible each year. The collection of bikes around a half mile oval is something every biker should experience. It blows your mind to see every bike you've ever ridden represented--many of them in mint condition.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:12 AM
BluePotato
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine was 4 weeks ago when I went to pick up my '06 Sportster (in signature below). The seller let me take it down the road. I had only been on lighter, smaller bikes before. The power was phenomenal.

I was so nervous, though, that it took me over a minute to do a turn around on a gravel driveway I had pulled into.

The ride home was heaven. I had heard from many people that they "couldn't wipe the grin off their faces," and I thought it was just a figure of speech. But, I certainly did have a huge smile my whole ride home. I was hooked.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:18 AM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice story, remarkable narrative, you should write.

I remember seeing those "old cool motorcycles" from a brand that I could not even pronounce or keep in my memory... one thing I could tell right away, and that was if the bike I was seeing was "one of those" bikes or not, every single time, those old looking cool bikes where Harley Davidsons. Later on I recall acknowledging that those bikes were not selled directly in Mexico, you had to purchase 'em in the US and import 'em on your own. Obviously there were no spair parts and Harley Davidson gained a reputation of being mechanic shop bikes, since they spent more time on the shops than riding.

One day coming home from college, I saw a gorgeous Blue/White Road King and was back thenwhen I knew why was it that I was in college, Iwanted to make decent money to have nice toys, I wanted an HD, without a doubt. My father had been a motorcycle enthusiast his entire life, so I knew how to ride one, from dirt bikes to crotch rockets...

This isday one exactly on my first and brand new Harley Davidson. This picture is from the first day my bike saw the street. Worths every penny spent...

Mimo.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15316/F4CF5029C01E42F5A24AF9491047D69C.jpg[/IMG]