General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splurging for the Gerbing heated gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 10:04 PM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 204 Posts
Default Splurging for the Gerbing heated gear

So, I've decided to get the full heated gear. Jacket liner, comfort socks, g3 gloves, portable temp control with belt clip case, and the armored over pants.

Ok, a couple of questions now. For those of you in NE North Carolina and Southeastern, VA (Va Beach), Do I really need the pants? I figured I'll get them and not wish I had them when on a long cold winter ride. I chose the armored trousers (seems more convenient) over the liner because if I go somewhere they can easily come off. If I get the pant liner, is it uncomfortable walking around in it? I'd hate to have to take my pants off to get the liner off if I need to and vice versa. Are the pants designed to fit over a pair of jeans?

I really like riding in the winter. I'm just tired of dressing like the kid from a Christmas story! It'll be nice to throw this stuff on and be on my comfortable way.

All opinions welcomed particulary those who ride out my way in the winter. I just wanted to ask before spending the big bucks! I may ride up to Morton's BMW in Fredericksburg to try the stuff on.

Thanks for the help

Should I get the portable temp control or the permanent one?

Old 09-24-2007, 10:33 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Splurging for the Gerbing heated gear

I live in Southwestern Virginia. It likely gets a little colder here in the mountains than where you are.

I use a jacket liner and gloves. I find that I don't need anything on the bottom other than jeans, chaps, and maybe long underwear depending on the temp. I have ridden for extended rides in the teens and stayed comfortable. The only time I ever use the gloves is when it is below 30*. Above that, I just use good winter gloves.

I bought both the OL and I temp controllers. She discovered the on and off switch and doesn't even use the controller. I usually run my liner wide open, and could have gotten by without the controller.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:29 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I ride in the winter in the Northeast without the heated pants, so you should have no problem. If you don't get the pants, how do you hook up the socks? Don't they connect to the pants, like the gloves connect to the jacket?

Old 09-25-2007, 10:03 AM
robandlyn
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: petemac

I ride in the winter in the Northeast without the heated pants, so you should have no problem. If you don't get the pants, how do you hook up the socks? Don't they connect to the pants, like the gloves connect to the jacket?
Yes & No .....
They come with a long "Y" cord (wire) that runs up each leg then the connectorbecomes one.
This can be connected to a controller.
See EACH sock has its own connector that you plug into the long "Y" connector I just
decribed. This way if you have the heated pants you just plug into the bottom of each leg
on the pants.
Rob .....

Old 09-25-2007, 10:04 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

You run a wire down your leg inside your pantsfrom the jacket to heat up your socks. Seems uncomfortable to me.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:52 AM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 138 Likes on 57 Posts

I ride pretty much year round in MD with just the Gerbings liner and gloves. Like others here, I find that keeping the hands and abdomen warm, I get by with just jeans, chaps and sometimes long underwear.

Last year riding to Daytona from MD tho my feet almost froze. Got a pair of gerbings socks after that (used from a buddy who moved to FL and didn;t need them anymore), but have never had occasion to try them... after that trip I got a set of HD soft lowers for the glide, and they block wind so that I don't think I need the socks now. Besides, something about those electric wires running down by my nads makes me a little nervous...lol.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:17 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't think I'd like the idea of running the wire down my pant legs. Might be better off with the battery operated socks.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:53 PM
azhole
Road Master

I just got some 'semi-chaps' that are chap legs, but not all the way up, and they are smaller folded than my full unheated chaps are, so I can carry them in the bags or tour pak. I think in terms of what if the bike dies, and how will I stay warm, in other words I won't soley rely on electric equipment.
I have wool lined boots, but just got some battery socks so I can use them if I'm off the bike also.
It's not real cold here in the lower part of AZ, but we have alot higher altitudes in our mountains than alot of states do, and need good winter gear for that riding.
I did a ride during bike week and we ran through some pretty heavy snow, fortunately not rain, and I would say that heated Gloves would have been what I wanted most, and a hood, preferable heated, cause I don't wear a helmet hardly ever. I was chilly center mass, but I had on two long underwear tops and bottoms and that worked, with my chaps and leather jacket, but my fingers, in thermafill long cuff leather gloves still got almost frozen. I was on the sporty and have since got the ultra with full upper and lower fairings, so I'm sure it'll be better next time around, but I would suggest heated gloves and maybe socks, and since you're back east the vest, but not rely on them only.
I carry air-activated pocket heaters also, and mittens for them to work in.

BTW there's full set of Large heated gerbing gear on ebay right now. Too small for my fat, white a$$

Old 09-25-2007, 05:17 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: petemac

Don't think I'd like the idea of running the wire down my pant legs. Might be better off with the battery operated socks.
Save your money on battery operated socks. They are near worthless. After all, how much heat can you expect out of a flashlight battery?

Old 09-25-2007, 05:58 PM
Rides2007Harley
Road Warrior

I just recently bought the vest and a couple weekends ago it was in the low 40's with a brisk wind when we left. Those things are amazing and I found I didn't need much thermostat to keep warm. I turned it on max at first and after about 2 minutes I was hot.

I didn't buy the gloves or pants yet and doubt if I will.

Quick Reply: Splurging for the Gerbing heated gear