General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey! Where's Roger DeCoster?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 09:41 PM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Default RE: Hey! Where's Roger DeCoster?

I'mshowing my age now, cause I remember Roger D. racing a open class Suzuki with a down pipe (anybody remember the Suzuki TM's, they were before the Rm's came out). Anyway, it ressembled a TM400MX. (Around 1972) All the international guys were there. Roger took 1st with a 50 yr old German named Adolf Weil, on a Maicoplacing 2nd. It was a Great battle, Roger by a front wheel. I was so eat up with dirt racing of all kinds, I raced local MX and dreamed of becoming a U.S.A. ISDT rider.
Terry, take it easy, get well soon!

Old 09-29-2007, 09:55 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

OMG!!!.....the Maico's[&:]..........man I forgot about those.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:15 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mikey 1450

I'mshowing my age now, cause I remember Roger D. racing a open class Suzuki with a down pipe (anybody remember the Suzuki TM's, they were before the Rm's came out). Anyway, it ressembled a TM400MX. (Around 1972) All the international guys were there. Roger took 1st with a 50 yr old German named Adolf Weil, on a Maicoplacing 2nd. It was a Great battle, Roger by a front wheel. I was so eat up with dirt racing of all kinds, I raced local MX and dreamed of becoming a U.S.A. ISDT rider.
Terry, take it easy, get well soon!
I certianly remember the TM's.... I think they lastedthru the 75 season & RM's (no more down pipes!) hit in 76. I had 77 & 79 RM125's. I remember adding air fork (screw on caps w/ valves) & Fox Air shox on the 77. The 79 cam with air forks.

I remember watching Frank Stacy practice before a local Trans-AMA event behing a local Honda shop. He was on a blue Maico.

Anyone remember Roger Dtesting that funky front suspension that kindaresembles some of the abstract BMW stuff on the street today.

From a different scene... anyone rememeber Terry & Teddy Poovey - flat track guys? As far as I know they are still around our area. One of the guys I practice with now, grew up w/Terry & still talksoccassionally.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:29 PM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

The funky front ends were called "leading link". I remember seeing them.DKW's and Monark's and some Pugh's.. Looked too heavy to me. I remember Ceriani forks were the best of that day. Man, Those were good days!

Old 10-03-2007, 08:52 PM
tallboy56
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to a stadium motocross back in the 70's in Fulton county stadium Atlanta and saw Bob Hannah and a bunch of the top guys race. It rained so hard that the mud covered all of the riders in one lap and they all looked the same. They could get off the bike and it would stand in the mud by itself because they sunk in so deep
ORIGINAL: Comfortably Numb

Made me think of Gary Ellis....
You meant JIMMY Ellis, right? Can-Am factory rider in the good ol' days. Those guys were sure fast, eh? They were rapid in practice and turned it up a bunch more once the flag dropped for the Motos.

I have pics of Roger, Marty Smith, Bob Hannah, Tommy Croft, Gerrit Wolsink,.......oh, he**, all of 'em, from waaay back in the Trans-AMA MX Series (Euros versus U.S.A.) at Puyallup, Washington. I have a bunch from several Nationals at Washougal, WA, Canadian Nationals, and Seattle Supercrosses. I was really into it at one time.
I've been meaning to pull a bunch of the Trans-AMA pics out to get a few of them re-done. I had the original color slides converted to internegs and they are slightly under-exposed. With today's technology I'm sure they can be played with and brightened up a bit. (the slides look perfect; the internegs resulted in 8 x 10s that were a bit dark)

CN