General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best time to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 11:02 PM
houstonhellbilly
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best time to buy?

Noob here.....and yes I did actually search the archives first but couldnt find anything that addressed this.

when I started looking (2 years ago now) I was talking to a salesman here in Houston (Republic HD) who said to wait til January to buy. He said that even though we dont have real winters in Houston that selling does slow down and better deals can be made. (I was talking to him in a December). Ok now fast forward to today time. I'm planning my purchase to be in mid December. Does anyone know if waiting til Jan/Feb will help me get a better deal?

Also any reccomendations or warnings about the Houston area dealerships is appreciated. I've searched the archives for their names and didnt turn up much.

thanks!

Old 09-27-2007, 11:05 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Best time to buy?

Best time to buy an '08 is Aug. 2008, best time to buy an '07 is now

Old 09-27-2007, 11:08 PM
gunner065
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yip, the best time to buy is now if you want an '07. The dealers are getting in the '08 and want to get rid of the '07. You should be able to get a better deal now than waiting till the holiday season.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:16 PM
phat96
Road Warrior

Somebody, was offering 3.9% on the 07's if you want one now or if you can wait till Aug, then go for the 08. Depends on what you read on the 07's or if you are into the ABS then maybe the 08. You are more patient than I would be.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:21 PM
chopperz71
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

Right Now! 07,08, or 1903. The few hundred bucks saved will never replace the miles of smiles for the next few months. Now, go get it and report back ASAP!

Old 09-27-2007, 11:26 PM
doc_cj
Road Warrior

Two days before Christmas ...

But chances are the '07 you want will be gone by then, so unless you're buying an '08 I'd go for it now. While there are still plenty of '07s on some dealer floors the chances are they won't be exactly what you want, so you'll either have to settle or buy something else.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:57 PM
Twolf
Road Master

Chopperz has the right idea, GO GIT THE BIKE!

My fever hit right when it turned cold last Oct, so I got a great deal from hungry salesmen. Nothin' like a blast of cold to kill bike sales! LOL!
ALSO, if ya wait TOO long, you will NOT have a lot to choose from, deliveries slow down in the winter.

I saw the color I wanted in my model, so I went for it! Coulda held off fer the better deal, but I didn't want to wind up with a color I didn't like.
I'm tired of black Harleys. NO offense, y'all! I've had 2 of them.

Even a thousand bucks will not equal the crazy rides we did last winter, the worst one in 50 years. We would start out in decent weather, then it was a race against a sudden snowstorm. Aw, the stories we have to tell. It was F'ed up out there, but it was LIFE in the way it was meant ta be lived!!! A pure and simple adrenaline rush! If I had waited to buy until Jan or later, I would not have those memories.

Buy a bike. Time's a wastin'...

Old 09-28-2007, 12:29 AM
houstonhellbilly
Novice

wow what a quick response! Thanks for the advice so far. Without getting into deep finances, the reason I'm waiting til Dec is that I expect to have some $$ arriving in then. Not enough to buy the bike without any financing but the payment will be lower then with the more money down.

I'm really looking for the 08 Night train over the 07. I just prefer the new features. Good ideas about the 07 closeouts though.

I guess what I was specificly looking for was day of the month, particular month of the year, etc. Is there any advantage time other than the end of the model year?

Old 09-28-2007, 06:43 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

In the whole scheme of things, you're not going to save much at any specific time. Year-end closeouts are your best bet for saving anything. Refinance the loan when you get your money. Doesn't cost anything to refi' a bike loan.IMO

Old 09-28-2007, 07:04 AM
NightBob
Advanced

I read somewhere that between 2:30 pm and 3:00 pm is usually a pretty good time. There are some dissenting opinons on this, and a lot of discussion about an industry-wide shift to maybe 10:45 am to 11:15. I think that's true: thatthe industry has been moving in that direction, but so far, Harley seems somewhat insulated from that shift. Eventually, that trend will probably findits way into the heavy bike sales, but as of now, the majority opinion isthat the 2:30 pm to 3:00 pm slot is best for a Harley purchase.

Unless you were talking about a V-Rod. Were you? That's really a different market...

Quick Reply: Best time to buy?