General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Paint Color for Wear and Tear

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 09:54 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Best Paint Color for Wear and Tear

ORIGINAL: biz44

ORIGINAL: hdpearson13

black shows everything white shows the least
IMHO the best color for hiding dirt and imperfections is the flat silver (H-D pewter denim), but it does have quite a bit to do with the quality of the paint used.
I have to agree. It always looks the same (great) unless just heavily covered in mud or something. That's just another one of the thingsI really love about my bike and it's pewter denim paint.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:06 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i am currently looking at an 81 ironhead thats got powdercoated everything i plan on getting hd blue denim in a spray can on the tin and some dual sport tires if it all goes as planed ill let you how that will do with dirt dust and scratches

Old 10-24-2007, 12:05 AM
nighttraingirl
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Silver.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:24 AM
Twolf
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As stated, black shows EVERYTHING!

I have a white truck (shows NO micro scratches), but I chose a two-tone on the scoot. The "pewter silver" shows nothing, and the blue is a cool combo.

Any ol' hot rodder will tell ya that any of the lighter shades will look better over the long haul. Primer gray with some flames and a lotta clearcoat could be cool! LOL!

Old 10-24-2007, 05:59 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 467 Posts

Rustoleum Hammered Black. It's sorta textured, tough as all get out, especially considering it's in a $5 rattlecan, and has stood up to spilled gas quite well for about 2 years without waxing, and it's done better than THE MAMA's Nightster factory paint against the log truck debris. But then I'm cheap when it comes to paint. It's a lousy investment on a bike that does 20 -30,000 miles a year in my neck of the woods.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:28 AM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vivid blackmight show everything.But it looks so good against the chrome that it will stop traffic--for the first half hour after you wax it!

Old 10-24-2007, 06:57 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got vivid black too and wouldn't have any other stock color, personally. Well, maybe there are a couple I could live with but I prefer glossy black. However, it's maybe the worst color as far as showing things. It was no time before I could see swirl marks and hairline scratches in my tank just from riding and cleaning it. I use HD scratch remover and HD glaze and it works for a while and they come right back...

Old 10-24-2007, 07:08 AM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member

White is the best

Old 10-24-2007, 08:32 AM
powdercoater
Road Captain

The light colors will hide everything the best and if it's durability your after you can't go wrong with getting the tins powder coated, since powder coat won't chip or crack like liquid paint! Gloss levels range from super flat to as glossy as a new car and the color selection is virtually endless. High gloss powder coat can be buffed out just like a liquid paint job so if you happen to get a few scratches on them down the road you can polish them right out. The down side is ya can't skim coat with bondo if the metal isn't perfect. There are some metal fillers out there but are very limited to thickness.

Check out the web site below for pictures of some of the things I mentioned.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:45 AM
commander112
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I am VERY festidious and keep all of my stuff in pristene condition. My blue/white Deluxe is so much easier to keep clean and scratch free than my wife's blue/black Sporty. The black tank panel shows everything. I keep it well protected with a good layer of wax and tell my wife to keep zippers and such away from it but it still shows everything. I WILL NEVER OWN A BLACK BIKE. By the way, my black cars were never allowed out in the rain for the same reason.

Quick Reply: Best Paint Color for Wear and Tear