Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Why Is HD So Cheap (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/170994-why-is-hd-so-cheap.html)

Redmondp 11-25-2007 06:52 AM

Why Is HD So Cheap

$20,000 MC and this is the best they can do. What have other's done to make this area a little better looking.

[img]http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...ckung/pix2.jpg[img]

tobyhd1 11-25-2007 06:57 AM

RE: Why Is HD So Cheap

Your link isn`t linking!!Toby

Redmondp 11-25-2007 06:59 AM

Now it is. What can I put there.

06train 11-25-2007 07:04 AM

Your balls..geeewiz!!!

DocHarley 11-25-2007 07:05 AM

"Why isHarley Davidson so cheap". Now that's a good question to ask in a HD forum. [:o]I would try the metric forums for a better responce. [&:]

Redmondp 11-25-2007 07:08 AM

ORIGINAL: 06train

Your balls..geeewiz!!!
Very intelligent. Another great answer.

BadBoyFLSTC 11-25-2007 07:08 AM

I have a machined "button" that I bought from Pomona Valley HD. Really looks good. I don't think it's a Harley part though. Give 'em a call.

Redmondp 11-25-2007 07:11 AM

ORIGINAL: DocHarley

"Why isHarley Davidson so cheap". Now that's a good question to ask in a HD forum. [:o]I would try the metric forums for a better responce. [&:]
So Doc, your saying that it does not look cheapish, and yes, another great answer. I don't think I see a Metric in my sig. Why do you respond if you don't have anything intelligent to say. I was looking for ideas to make this area a bit better looking. I mean a philips head screw over a very large washer. Go figure.

tobyhd1 11-25-2007 07:13 AM

You might want to get a little leather pouch that you can keep some trinkets in (change,cookies,whatever),or check the aftermarket catalogs and see what`s out there.I`m sure your not the only one who has this ugly dash hardware,bummer.I`m sure someone will chime in with their solution.Toby

Redmondp 11-25-2007 07:14 AM

ORIGINAL: BadBoyFLSTC

I have a machined "button" that I bought from Pomona Valley HD. Really looks good. I don't think it's a Harley part though. Give 'em a call.
Do you happen to have a pix. I guess it's something I just have to search for. Thanks for the reply.

reefrider 11-25-2007 07:18 AM

94753-99 is the Harley part number for their console washer cover. Just another 19.95.
There are also aftermarket clocks available on ebay to cover this area.

100thRK 11-25-2007 07:20 AM

I went this route with a aftermarket temp gauge. It comes in handy at Sturgis in August!
http://goatlocker.org/pics/rkdash.jpg

electaRICK 11-25-2007 07:21 AM

if thats all you got to bitch about , you'll do ok!!

tobyhd1 11-25-2007 07:23 AM

Did you buy the bike new and it came like that?That isn`t very professional looking from the moco.They could of at least left the fins all the way and drilled the hole with a countersink and matching screw so it could be flush.Toby

Redmondp 11-25-2007 07:23 AM

ORIGINAL: 100thRK

I went this route with a aftermarket temp gauge. It comes in handy at Sturgis in August!
http://goatlocker.org/pics/rkdash.jpg
Thank you, very nice add on. I like all those other add on too. Very nice.

tobyhd1 11-25-2007 07:28 AM

If you stick a guage in there ,what will hold the dash down to the tank at the seat?Toby

Redmondp 11-25-2007 07:28 AM

ORIGINAL: tobyhd1

Did you buy the bike new and it came like that?That isn`t very professional looking from the moco.They could of at least left the fins all the way and drilled the hole with a countersink and matching screw so it could be flush.Toby
Brand new off the showroom floor. I think they could of done a better job in that area also. Did they get rid of it on the 08's. It must of been something new for the 07's.

Nick 11-25-2007 07:33 AM

well if everything was perfect you wouldn't buy upgrades then would you...?

kyroger 11-25-2007 07:40 AM

$19.95 "BullsEye" washer. Sorry, I don't have a part number, but it does look better than the pot metal stock washer.

100thRK 11-25-2007 07:45 AM

If you stick a guage in there ,what will hold the dash down to the tank at the seat?Toby
The gauge holder has a threaded bolt on the back of it just like the stock screw. The guage holder comes with a clock and a temp gauge. Either can be used.

tobyhd1 11-25-2007 07:54 AM

That`s cool.Redmondp,get on the HD website look up dashes/consoles.Not to kick dirt on you,but the satin finish dash isn`t doing anything for the looks of your bike.Toby

06train 11-25-2007 08:24 AM

ORIGINAL: Redmondp

ORIGINAL: 06train

Your balls..geeewiz!!!
Very intelligent. Another great answer.
Sorry dude,,just kiddin..I had a simmilar problem when I picked my scoot up at the dealer..The scew that holds the seat on was offset from centre..Upon checking other bikes @ the dealer we found there were a lot with the same issue..Gotta wonder????

easyglider 11-25-2007 08:31 AM

CHEAP! Where you shoppin'?

Redmondp 11-25-2007 08:51 AM

That`s cool.Redmondp,get on the HD website look up dashes/consoles.Not to kick dirt on you,but the satin finish dash isn`t doing anything for the looks of your bike.Toby
I agree Toby. I do like the looks of 100thRK console. The black border offset the rest of it. I just got to do some shopping. Thanks

Great stuff from everyone else. Thanks for giving me some ideas. Anyhow. Cold, wet and just not a good day to ride in Germany. Weather is getting better this coming week. Ride The Wind.

Bear64 11-25-2007 09:30 AM

$20,000 MC and this is the best they can do. What have other's done to make this area a little better looking.

Man I feel your pain, I spent some hard earned money on a couple of harleys and the damn things got screws, nuts and bolts all over it, WTF should have bought a Beemer, oh wait, they also have screws and nuts and bolts all over..Bummer Whats a guy to do??[sm=boohoo.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Fenderplayer 11-25-2007 09:35 AM

The company is like any other company in corp america. It has to maximize profits and please investors. That's the bottom line. There is a fine balance between pleasing and keeping customers and making profits. Too much of one will take away from the other. Look at their line of after market add ons. We spend a ton of money adding all sorts of enhancements. They arein it to make money and keep investors happy - bottom line.

Redmondp 11-25-2007 09:39 AM

ORIGINAL: Bear64

Man I feel your pain, I spent some hard earned money on a couple of harleys and the damn things got screws, nuts and bolts all over it, WTF should have bought a Beemer, oh wait, they also have screws and nuts and bolts all over..Bummer Whats a guy to do??[sm=boohoo.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif]
Well, I do have a Bimmer but, it's a cage. Very nice one too. My other problem is if I wanted to play with the kid's on the block I would of gone to the sandbox. Why is it so hard to post a simple question here. I don't like the ****ing philips head screw looking at me and just asked for some solutions to my problem. How the **** hard is that. I am too old for all this other shit.

100thRK 11-25-2007 09:42 AM

Interesting enough it is not a satin finish but opinions are like ........, everyone has one.

nine11c2 11-25-2007 09:43 AM

Words I never thought I'd hear "Why is Harley so cheap...."

Redmondp 11-25-2007 09:52 AM

ORIGINAL: nine11c2

Words I never thought I'd hear "Why is Harley so cheap...."
Ok, so maybe I listed the topic wrong. Maybe, I should of said. Why did the ****ing MoCo think I wanted a philips head screw and a big ****ing washer looking at me everytime I ride my bike.

nine11c2 11-25-2007 09:56 AM

Actually, I understand what you meant, but in general, the Moco finishes off parts better than most. Check out the triple trees on my Deuce, one of the reasons I bought it. Fine chrome, finely finished, when virtually all competitor bikes are aluminum. The Deuce trees are actually used on customs. But yes, there are places they cheap out. One thing that always comes to my mind - why the incredibly uncoordinated combination of torx, allen, screws and bolts?

BadBobOk 11-25-2007 10:03 AM

Something like this might work. :D

http://www.anime.com/Hello_Kitty/images/circle-01.jpg

Time2ride 11-25-2007 10:10 AM

There's a couple of options available. You can inserts for the entire console and a different washer and bolt, or you can get an entirely different console for about $260.00 (part# 71306-04)

espacef1fan 11-25-2007 10:37 AM

Every bike ever made by anybody..has that "cheap" thingsomewhere onthem....if you look..you will find it...

Demkay 11-25-2007 12:00 PM

Yup, as usual;..... totally cool question. Don't worry dude.

This is the only thing Harley sells.....

http://a1276.g.akamai.net/7/1276/734...99_M_19604.jpg

http://www.harley-davidson.com/media...IEW2_19602.jpg

I think It looks pretty cool.

Oh, and before clicking the "new post" button, always good to forward your comment to your family lawyer; for checking, .........this can avoid much anguish. :D

R1Geezrglide 11-25-2007 12:08 PM

Ok, you paid $20k, but what they didn't tell you is you bought a motorcycle kit! It's up to you to finish it. That's why the accessory catalog is so thick. You see, I thought the same thing-20k should get you a finely finished machine with top notch components, brakes, suspension, etc. Well, some of that is true, but then there is the kit part-just add money and stir....A good friend and multiple HD owner finally explained it too me.;)

Cryptoboy 11-25-2007 12:34 PM

Well, I do have a Bimmer but, it's a cage. Very nice one too. My other problem is if I wanted to play with the kid's on the block I would of gone to the sandbox. Why is it so hard to post a simple question here. I don't like the ****ing philips head screw looking at me and just asked for some solutions to my problem. How the **** hard is that. I am too old for all this other shit.
So you post an agressive sounding question initially, and really don't expect to take some flak for it? What forum do you think you're on?!?! ;)

Actually I never noticed that before, but then I haven't owned an RK or Softtail (or WideGlide, now certain SuperGlides also). Was it something that changed on the 07's after all?

dynaguy 11-25-2007 12:39 PM

Man seen and heard it all. Must be a slow day for topics. When a phillips screw gets this much attention. HAHAHA

Sam 11-25-2007 01:01 PM

We're fighting over screws now???? And there's not even any snow yet...........I can't wait until we've had a couple of blizzards[sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Redmond, if you're going to go with the clock/Temp.gauge.....check ebay, there are all kinds of them on there.

Fishguy001 11-25-2007 01:09 PM

sit a hot little blonde chickadee right there