General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traffic Lights..

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 05:12 PM
ccmd2b
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traffic Lights..

I've heard that you can put a strong magnet on the bottom of your bike that will trigger the traffic lights. Do any of you have any details on that or any other solution to getting lights to change?

Thanks

Old 12-04-2007, 05:19 PM
ae4782tt
Road Master
Default RE: Traffic Lights..

I have a magnet under my bike (installed by the orig. owner). Rarely does a lite not trigger for me. I have been told that stopping yer motor and starting it will work too. Something about the electromagnets in the starter.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:27 PM
WaterHog
Road Captain
Old 12-04-2007, 05:55 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trouble with magnets is you pick up all the metal trash from the roads and parking lots.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:57 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

You mean like nails and screws and stuff? Yup, that's why I don't a magnet on my bike...

Old 12-04-2007, 06:31 PM
wallyn
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if one of the Filter magnets that attach to your oil filter would create a large enough Magnetic field? Might as well kill two birds with one stone.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:49 PM
Mikeeeeeeeeee
"Moderator & Connoisseur of Ice Cream"
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Pull up directly over the crack in the asphalt.
Swing your kickstand down over it, and back up.
If that dont work, shut down and restart.

One of the two will get it.

Or do what i do........................Left on red when it is clear.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:57 PM
bcox
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Some lights around my way are stubborn also. Sometimes you can try pulling right overtop the magnet or rocking a little to get the light to change. I also have put my kickstand down on the strip and that has also worked sometimes.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:27 PM
Gasket
Cruiser

Finally a question I can give an answer to.this is one of the jobs I do as a "heavy-highway electrician". To answer you'r question, yes a magnet will work. Look for what is called a RARE EARTH MAGNET. It is just a fancy name for a really F-ing strong magnet. You don't have to put it the verry bottom of you'r frame, if you are scared of picking up a nail or whatever. I have one on my bike just below my tank. If you dont want to get a magnet, pull up to the light and stay 2 ft. from the side of the lane markers( white, yellow lines). This will put you on the top of what is called a "TRAFFIC LOOP". A traffic loop is usually 6 ft. wide, centered in the lane. Some times they are installed in the finish grade of the asphault and you can see them. If you can see them pull ontop of them.It will look like a big box cut in the road, with a tail going off to the side.It is designed to pick up automobiles that set on them, a motorcycle does not interupt the feild verry well if it is not setting rite above the cut. Inside the cut are 3 or 4 wraps of #14 fine strand wire that create a "feild" that tells the traffic controll center( the big stainless box on the corner) that a car is waiting to go.When you are detected you'r lane is put on "CALL" and you are the next in line to get the green in that phase.I try to make a habit of pulling up to the top of the lane(WHITE STOP LINE) so a car behind me will park ontop of the loop. At a decent sized intersection these loops are 6 ft.X20 ft. I hope this help's you, and all who read this. Just so you know I am a foreman for my company, and I have installed over 1000 traffic loops in my 11 years of working with electricity. I am not pulling you'r legg. If you have further questions on TRAFFIC LOOPS look them up on a search engine. There is tons of sights giving info on understanding them and why they make controlling traffic flow so much better. There are a different kind of traffic detection units called micro-wave detectors.These are a motion-detection type unit.Not manny left out there, they are kinda old school. hope this helps.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:41 PM
Kolni
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mikeeeeeeeeee

Pull up directly over the crack in the asphalt.
Swing your kickstand down over it, and back up.
If that dont work, shut down and restart.

One of the two will get it.

Or do what i do........................Left on red when it is clear.
That's what I do.

usually works.

Quick Reply: Traffic Lights..