General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

too much oil in transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 09:20 PM
jakedog
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: too much oil in transmission?

Yep, my manual says to check it on the jiffy stand. Remove threaded filler dipstick, wipe clean then reinsert and do not thread back in. Extract and check level.Pg.148.....

Old 12-31-2007, 09:29 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: too much oil in transmission?

Well, that's at least one thing that'll be easier to do than the previous method! Thanks for the clarification.

I wonder how many people who have traded up for a new one have realized that change?

Old 06-17-2009, 04:28 PM
chucks9999
Intermediate

I have a question that most of you will call me a DS (take a guess). I just did my first tranny oil change with HD syn (in all 3 holes). My problem is I cannot tell the level on the dip stick (its the factory chrome one) ands its impossible to tell the oil level on the stick since the new oil is so clear and my eyes are so bad. Does anyone have a trick I can use? BTW, since it is probably still overfilled, I have a whining noise that is noticable around 20 mph and the noise decreases to 0 as the bike stops. This is new since I did the tranny oil change.

Last edited by chucks9999; 06-17-2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:26 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,366 Likes on 2,374 Posts

I have found that if you wipe that dipstick dry and put it back in then when its pulled out if you hold the dipstick horizontally and rotate it just a little the light can show where the oil is or is not, yea it's a little difficult. Good luck.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:34 PM
tombeving
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
to tombeving, my 05 owner's manual calls out for 26 ozs. for the capacity in the primary case, did theMOCO change something?
My manual calls for 20-24 oz. in the transmission and 32 oz. in the primary. For the transmission it should be checked with the bike in the upright position with the dipstick resting on the threads. For the primary, just pour 32 oz. into the primary and close it up.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:32 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

You guys actually check it?

There is 32oz in a quart. Drain tranny completely, open a new bottle and pour the whole thing in, put the dipstick back in and go. I can't remember ever checking it but then again, I'm not too **** about the tranny. If there are no spots on the garage floor or under then vent tube, then it's still full.

I do use a measuring cup for the primary since it's a wierd amount on the 08. 38 oz if I remember correctly off the top of my head.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:58 PM
codyshop
Tourer

When you drained it, did you remember to get on the bike and hold it upright (even a touch past vertical to the right) to get the last few ounces out? Otherwise, you'll have enough left in there to show overfull when you fill it correctly with 24oz (32oz for six speed).

Old 06-18-2009, 03:18 AM
1peter
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chucks9999
I have a question that most of you will call me a DS (take a guess). I just did my first tranny oil change with HD syn (in all 3 holes). My problem is I cannot tell the level on the dip stick (its the factory chrome one) ands its impossible to tell the oil level on the stick since the new oil is so clear and my eyes are so bad. Does anyone have a trick I can use? BTW, since it is probably still overfilled, I have a whining noise that is noticable around 20 mph and the noise decreases to 0 as the bike stops. This is new since I did the tranny oil change.
Put Redline Oil in it, it's red in color which means it's easy to see on the dipstick and it's great oil, a bit expensive though + if you get a tranny leak you will know where it's comming from.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:22 AM
petefwa
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I've never bothered to check the oil levels. For a service I put a quart in both the primary and the gearbox and three quarts in the engine. I know the engine is slightly overfull but it's never blown anything out the breather or given any other problems. If there is no oil on my shed floor, I know there are no leaks.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:43 AM
BlackRob
Tourer

I have used a big McDonalds straw to dip in, cover the hole, and draw out a few ounces at a time until you get the correct level. Easier and cleaned than cracking the drain plug back open.

Quick Reply: too much oil in transmission?