General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

too much oil in transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 10:18 AM
AK47
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackRob
I have used a big McDonalds straw to dip in, cover the hole, and draw out a few ounces at a time until you get the correct level. Easier and cleaned than cracking the drain plug back open.
Turkey baster works good too!

Old 06-18-2009, 10:47 AM
softail04
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what some would consider a dumb question but..
why do you guys change your trans oil all the time ??
I know mine has oil inside because it has not leaked out and it is not exposed to combustion and such so it raarley gets dirty oil does not wear out so why change it ?? how many of you change the oil in your car trans ever?? just curious ... yes I have changed mine once and I have 45 thou. on the bike and trans works great...oh yeh it has 20/50 syn in it

Old 06-18-2009, 11:00 AM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Overfilling your gear box will cause the oil to foam. Bad juju.

When it's foaming it's not lubricating. I am in complete agreement with the other posters, use gear oil in a gear box. Syn 75W140 or Dyno 85W140.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:46 AM
ckgdrums
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by chucks9999
<snip>Does anyone have a trick I can use? BTW, since it is probably still overfilled, I have a whining noise that is noticable around 20 mph and the noise decreases to 0 as the bike stops. This is new since I did the tranny oil change.
I put a thin piece of blue tape on my trans dipstick only long enough to check the level, then take it off.

Also, does your tranny whine only in 1st and 5th gears? If so, that's pretty normal for H-D trannies.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:44 PM
Gutman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
to tombeving, my 05 owner's manual calls out for 26 ozs. for the capacity in the primary case, did theMOCO change something?

Well, they went from a 5-speed to a 6-speed with a completely different transmission case. that is why they are different.

At the start of your post you stated you had a 2007. That requires you to completely drain the transmission with the vehicle in the upright positiion, replace the plug with new o-ring, torque to 14-21 ft lbs. Fill the transmission with 32oz of Formula + or Syn3. Check the level with the bike on the sidestand and dipstick resting on the threads (not threaded in). If the level is a little over is fine. The difference between fill and full is 3-4oz.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:12 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Vinnie85FXWG
Just don't start your bike. You start it and you'll blow all your seals.
No you will not blow the seals,the oil may blow out of the overflow tube.With that little bit over you should be Okay.Best to have the level correct then no worry.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:57 AM
1peter
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The manual for my 09 model softy does not say if you have to check the tranny oil hot or cold ?? Can anyone shed some light, it doesn't seem to make any difference when I check it but on my 06 it stated you had to check it hot ??

Old 06-19-2009, 03:42 PM
chucks9999
Intermediate

the whine seems to only happen in first gear i think...

Old 06-19-2009, 06:21 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

If you drained the oil out when it was cold and not at operating temp (at least warm to hot) you more than likely didnt get all the old oil out unless you let it drip for an hour or so. Cold oil doeesnt flow too well, and if you drained it on the jiffy stand that will leave some in there too. If youre in doubt drain it out and do it again, its only $8 for another quart.
The whine could be the extra oil in there being churned up at start, then as the gears are turning there is less of a pool of oil in the case.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:34 PM
codyshop
Tourer

Originally Posted by softail04
what some would consider a dumb question but..
why do you guys change your trans oil all the time ??
I know mine has oil inside because it has not leaked out and it is not exposed to combustion and such so it raarley gets dirty oil does not wear out so why change it ?? how many of you change the oil in your car trans ever?? just curious ... yes I have changed mine once and I have 45 thou. on the bike and trans works great...oh yeh it has 20/50 syn in it
Most likely, a car is driven daily. For many of us our bikes are put up for half the year due to winter and never are run enough even monthly to evaporate the water out of the tranny lube. It's the only lube system on the bike constantly exposed to atmosphere.

Quick Reply: too much oil in transmission?