General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full face helmets that flip up

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 07:13 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Full face helmets that flip up

Got a AVG 5047 that the dealer used to sell, you can buy it threw drag specialites too. I also like to ride with the shield up. I wear WileyX sunglasses with the helment. Toward 70 and always at 80 the shield slams shut. No problem. If you have a puney neck the wind might bother you a little, but with time you neck muscles will build up. The shield is great to close when it rains or sand it in a road too.
The Nolan helment is a awsum helment too. What I like about the AVG 5047 and the Noland is they both have quick release straps and not D-Rings. If there are D Rings I do not care what the outcome is I can not fight jackin with D rings on helment straps. I want the helment with quick release from the factory, not aftermarket.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:01 AM
smudge
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an HJC modular and it is heavier than normal full face lids, however, I love it! With a windsheild I can ride with it up or down up to about 60, great for when you want a smoke or stopped at a light. I do find that the weight gets to you on a long run.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:05 AM
steel insane
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bluerose

ORIGINAL: mimo

ORIGINAL: steel insane

I like it... the bottom chin bar is removable.

Checkout this baby... I want one of this Schubert's J1 haven't found 'em in America, just websites in Europe.

Mimo.
Exactly, that is what turns it into a safe full face...

Regards,

Mimo.
This helmet has been out for a while...I wish they would offer it in the US. I wear a 3/4 because I get claustaphobic in a full face. I was thinking I could get a bit more protection and be less claustaphobic with the full window it gives.

I have a HD modular too. Hubby stole it because I didn't wear it. He tends to like the full face so is happy with the combo. He likes it because he can flip it up at stops and actually talk, drink, smoke....etc.
you can buy it overseas, but it is a pricey one...

Old 01-04-2008, 10:02 AM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member

Received 23,723 Likes on 5,248 Posts

Checkout this baby... I want one of this Schubert's J1 haven't found 'em in America, just websites in Europe.

Mimo.
You can buy that helmet, and many others that aren't yet offered in the U.S., at this web site. I've bought a couple of helmets from them, and they've been completely reliable. They have a currency converter on each page. Hold onto your socks when you see what the British pound-to-US dollar prices are.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:34 AM
jakedog
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW!, $590... I like the looks but just a bit pricey!!

Old 01-04-2008, 10:38 AM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: OldBoldPilot

Mimo.
You can buy that helmet, and many others that aren't yet offered in the U.S., at this web site. I've bought a couple of helmets from them, and they've been completely reliable. They have a currency converter on each page. Hold onto your socks when you see what the British pound-to-US dollar prices are.
Thanks for the heads-up, lemme check it out.

Mimo.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:41 AM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a KBC flip-up and I have no problems riding with it in the up position. My with wears the HJC sy-max but she rides with hers down.

Now the HJC does not go way up like the HJC. In fact the KBC is the only one I have seen so far that actually looks somewhat normal when in the up position.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:42 AM
steel insane
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: OldBoldPilot

Mimo.
Thanks for the heads-up, lemme check it out.

Mimo.
If you are really in Mexico, maybe you can import them there. Cheaper to convert dollars to Pesos than Pounds/Euros.

could bean opportunity....

Old 01-04-2008, 10:44 AM
pistole
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

- can someone pipe in with some info about these "flip up"
full face helmets , ie , that the enlarged flip mechanism which
is located just above the ears (the most vulnerable area of
the skull) can cause/aggravate injuries , in a crash?

- ie , the DOT test involves frontal/top impact , and does not
incorporate a side-impact test ?

Old 01-04-2008, 07:34 PM
K00LJerk
Road Captain

I have the Roof Boxer and have been pretty happy with it. In use though I found at higher speeds I preferred the chin bar down. It was perfectly fine around town on hot days with it up. Snell actually tested the Roof and was favorable to it although it never got an official rating. See the review on Webbikeworld.com. I think my next helmet will probably be the Shoei multitec because the exchange rate makes the Roof too cost prohibitive now and that same web site gives the Shoei a favorable review. As was stated here earlier by the others its not a good idea to ride with the chin bar up you'll find out what everyone is talking about if you try it at 50 and above. Do a web search and read all the reviews to help with your decision.

Jerk

Quick Reply: Full face helmets that flip up