General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LIGHT YOUR BIKE UP...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 10:31 PM
Tmoney
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LIGHT YOUR BIKE UP...

Thinking of puting some lighting on my roadking have a few questions, first any problems with
them,and how many do you have on your bike probably need (switch installed for them to im
guessing if you want to leave them on and not drain battery)

Old 01-06-2008, 10:54 PM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: LIGHT YOUR BIKE UP...

Are you talking about those LED accent lighting? If so, yeah, I have them. I have a set of electropods. They work great, I am very happy with them. I run them when I ride at night, haven't been pulled over, yet.. You should be able to leave them turned on when the bike is off for a few hours, but I wouldn't know. I just turn them off when I stop. You can get them with a switch that you can mount just about anywhere. they also sell some with a remote control. A pretty cool feature. I had them done at a rally. The lady that did them let me watch her, and she showed me how I could add more, and where the best locations would be, and where to run the wires. It is very simple. I could have done them, but I got them done the same time her OM was doing the pin stripping on my bike. I got the stripping, and the LED's for $200... not bad, IMO... BTW, you are going to hear a lot of "those are gay" comments... I say fu** them... it is your bike, if you like the look, go for it... just sayin'...

Old 01-06-2008, 11:19 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I know LED lighting!!! I leave them on basicly all night... it is only illegal if there is direct light facing forward or back (if they can see where the light originates from) and they can not flash or are flashing, solid light only and you are fine, (i have been to court.... it was a unrelated charge but the cop brought up the lights wheni got off on the speeding and the judge ruled i was legal)you have to leave them on for multiple days to run down a battery, Unless your battery is old then your bike has to sit for about 15 hrs without running and it will drain the battery, 15 hrs is a long time. full bike takes 15 pods (each pod has 5 high intensity leds in it) at least the ones i use.... I have tried ALOT of others and these work the best and are the easiest to hide... best of all they are safer... draws attention to your bike at night, be that when you are on the road or your bike is sitting in a parking lot, i have seen people not back into my bike cause it was glowing... i think that they look sick and make a custom bike POP... ooh ya make sure you USE LED not NEON or you will go though a ton of batterys. if you are using single LED make sure you have the correct resister (for headlights)... i do a TON of bikes with these kits... the bottom pic is a 10 pod kit, just around the motor, the rest of them have the rear and front tires lit up... depends on what you like

[IMG]local://upfiles/26534/476ED22D044B4684ADC6BE52A0872270.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26534/BF4DFA43D32C40EE9B281D3D3F43CB20.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26534/FFF9D2941DFB4D1D87981C6C4B01B40D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26534/728BCEABD6964CA3A79BF8722E9A098B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26534/EEFDB1A7C4D749D886EE20CB2C12DFD9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-06-2008, 11:26 PM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member

Looks good. I went with green. I have a long 24 (?) LED under each side of the tank. A six pod under the carb, and a six pod under the horn, and another six pod under the seat (On the cross support). I want to add a couple of more, and I would like to do both wheels.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12433/7D6BDB33CABA45EFAFE51C92AAF498C0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12433/D25CDDA5118B49E0A11CCEC0269137E8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-06-2008, 11:32 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

papa it is all about how the LED is aimed... you want the beam to bounce... that will give you the best results... just re aim them in the dark to get the look you want... on a rocket i have very little room and look how much they glow here is only a 10 pod kit on a BMW that is green... here are some vid's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_GRojN0mBQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da6QHCLnSw8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB1aXaySgcQ

Old 01-06-2008, 11:36 PM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member

They look good. What I am going to do it buy some of the chrome do dads, to create more lighted areas.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:29 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wired LEDs on the last two bikes I had and I really liked it. On the first bike I wired them with a small switch mounted under the tank. I only had 6 LEDs pointing to the engine so it wasn't that bright. As noted, it is all about how you mount and point them, so you can adjust to some extent the brightness.

The 2nd bike had 15 LEDs, and that seemed like plenty to do the engine pretty decently.

Wiring the darn things can be a real pain in the butt if you're not into that sort of stuff. I've been looking at the "kits" sold by this fellow at Ebay ...

http://stores.ebay.com/Motorcycle-LED-Accent-Lights

He's got a 20 LED kit that is prewired, so if you're not sure you want to do all the wiring yourself then check this one out. He also has a tri-color system with remote for under $60, plus a fairly nice looking setup with PODs (4 lights together in one housing) and individual lights for more intense lighting. I can't decide which one I'll try, but chances are I'll go with one of these this week.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:55 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,104 Likes on 1,024 Posts

I got lights all over my 02 Ultra. No problems with battery drain. Go for it! By the way, the info ya got above, it is GREAT!

Old 01-07-2008, 11:31 AM
cwilks
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: PapaTravis

Are you talking about those LED accent lighting? If so, yeah, I have them. I have a set of electropods. They work great, I am very happy with them. I run them when I ride at night, haven't been pulled over, yet.. You should be able to leave them turned on when the bike is off for a few hours, but I wouldn't know. I just turn them off when I stop. You can get them with a switch that you can mount just about anywhere. they also sell some with a remote control. A pretty cool feature. I had them done at a rally. The lady that did them let me watch her, and she showed me how I could add more, and where the best locations would be, and where to run the wires. It is very simple. I could have done them, but I got them done the same time her OM was doing the pin stripping on my bike. I got the stripping, and the LED's for $200... not bad, IMO... BTW, you are going to hear a lot of "those are gay" comments... I say fu** them... it is your bike, if you like the look, go for it... just sayin'...

Well that's just GAY.....just sayin

Old 01-07-2008, 12:13 PM
rockabillygrl
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Electropods.....wiring was a pain, and some of the pods have fallen off. I need to get some more double stick tape. But I love the way they look!

Quick Reply: LIGHT YOUR BIKE UP...