General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Different helmet law thread - Georgia

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 11:49 AM
Black Lion
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Different helmet law thread - Georgia

Wear them or not, it's always the same thing; people who don't even do something are always making laws to regulate people who do.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:14 PM
old95
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

"I know itsa fine line and the ticket would get thrown out of court," aaaaa I really don't know where Senoia, GA is, but neither of the headwear you mentionedup here north of Atlanta is going to be considered "protective gear" by the police or judges & you are going to get a ticket and pay a fine. At this point I must assume Senoia is reallynot located in the same Georgia I live in.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:20 PM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Uhh, I got a $700 ticket for 90 in a 70. I think my answer is pretty clear.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:22 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: old95

"I know itsa fine line and the ticket would get thrown out of court," aaaaa I really don't know where Senoia, GA is, but neither of the headwear you mentionedup here north of Atlanta is going to be considered "protective gear" by the police or judges & you are going to get a ticket and pay a fine. At this point I must assume Senoia is reallynot located in the same Georgia I live in.
Senoia is South of Atlanta by about an hour off of I-85 and Hwy. 16 -- South of Fayetteville and Peachtree City, and for the most part is still very rural.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:03 PM
old95
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh thanks for the location info perhaps those items described in his thread are considered as "protective head gear" down there,

Old 01-15-2008, 03:13 PM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh thanks for the location info perhaps those items described in his thread are considered as "protective head gear" down there,
Well, I'm sure its all subjective.. I shouldnt have said "I know" as I obviously dont, hence the thread.... My point is, the law is so vague, that a decent atourney should be able to get you off, though it would be cheaper to pay the fine.. The only person I have heard of personally getting a helmet ticket in the state of Ga., tells me he got it thrown out because he had a hat on.. Again, not sure, but he's not known as a liar.. Oh, BTW, that was in the mountains of Ga.

Anyone with personal experience??

old95, from your wording, I wonder, are you on the side of the law speaking or speaking form experience?

Old 01-15-2008, 03:18 PM
HGM
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: GAGirl

Senoia is South of Atlanta by about an hour off of I-85 and Hwy. 16 -- South of Fayetteville and Peachtree City, and for the most part is still very rural.
Yep, we're not quite that far out though.. Senoia is about 15mi east of I-85 on 16, I'm about 8..The Airport is about a 30min drive..So, we are pretty rural, but most folks around here measure it by the fact the can be at one of two WalMart's in 15min...

Old 01-15-2008, 03:19 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: HGM

Yep, we're not quite that far out though.. To Senoia from I-85 is about 15mi east on 16, I'm about 8..The Airport is about a 30min drive..So, we are pretty rural, but most folks around here measure it by the fact the can be at one of two WalMart's in 15min...
I know what you mean. We live in Newnan and commute back and forth to Hwy. 41 and Kennesaw every day.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:26 PM
jeffl0924
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would check with your Insurance company...a ticket might not be the only issue....if the law reads protective headgear, and your insurance interprets that as a DOT helmet, and you arent wearing one. You may find a clause in there that says they dont have to pay....I know some policies are that if your state has a helmet law and you go to a state without a helmet law and wreck, without a helmet, they wont pay. Because your bike is registered and insured in a state with a helmet law....just a thought....

Old 01-15-2008, 03:31 PM
HGM
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: HGM

Yep, we're not quite that far out though.. To Senoia from I-85 is about 15mi east on 16, I'm about 8..The Airport is about a 30min drive..So, we are pretty rural, but most folks around here measure it by the fact the can be at one of two WalMart's in 15min...
I know what you mean. We live in Newnan and commute back and forth to Hwy. 41 and Kennesaw every day.
You too, huh? I go to Marietta every day...

Quick Reply: Different helmet law thread - Georgia