General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd Annual Pacific Rally - Location/ Date Poll

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 06:46 PM
marcss
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2nd Annual Pacific Rally - Location/ Date Poll

I would love to see Lassen Volcanic National Park (my goal is to ride to or through all the National Parks west of the Mississippi). In the most direct route (I-5) it's about 540 miles from Los Angeles. But would be going through major cities and probably major traffic. Would probably prefer to goa day earlier and take 395 and stop over in Reno and from there go to Lassen (or Mt Shasta if that is what everyone wants.) Just got to make sure the Northern folks commit 'cause last rally was mostly Southern folk.Since we are talkin mountains, we should go in the warmer months: late July, August, or early September. From Reno, Mt. Shasta is a four hour ride. Lassen NP is a 3 hour ride. There are places to stay in Chester (south of Lassen) or city of Mt Shasta for Mt. Shasta, or ???

Old 01-23-2008, 10:37 PM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: marcss

I would love to see Lassen Volcanic National Park (my goal is to ride to or through all the National Parks west of the Mississippi). In the most direct route (I-5) it's about 540 miles from Los Angeles. But would be going through major cities and probably major traffic. Would probably prefer to goa day earlier and take 395 and stop over in Reno and from there go to Lassen (or Mt Shasta if that is what everyone wants.) Just got to make sure the Northern folks commit 'cause last rally was mostly Southern folk.Since we are talkin mountains, we should go in the warmer months: late July, August, or early September. From Reno, Mt. Shasta is a four hour ride. Lassen NP is a 3 hour ride. There are places to stay in Chester (south of Lassen) or city of Mt Shasta for Mt. Shasta, or ???
That's the spirit!!!! I'll be thinking of places. Have a book with some rides and will probably check out Pashnit.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:45 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Lassen is great riding but state park so fairly slow going. Last summer there was a lot of road construction leading into the park from the north.
Miles of gravel and/or dirt. Shasta is expensive anymore. I go on a golf trip there every June and it's over $120 per night for cheap rooms.
South side of park, i think it's hwy 32 is really great for spirited riding. I lost a bunch of floorboard and exhaust pipe there

There is always solvang and the motorcycle museum. Lots of good riding in the area between the mountains and the coast.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:48 PM
GADawgs
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I watching to see what happens. I'm not to far but N Cally is a long hump

Old 01-23-2008, 10:56 PM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

Lassen is great riding but state park so fairly slow going. Last summer there was a lot of road construction leading into the park from the north.
Miles of gravel and/or dirt. Shasta is expensive anymore. I go on a golf trip there every June and it's over $120 per night for cheap rooms.
South side of park, i think it's hwy 32 is really great for spirited riding. I lost a bunch of floorboard and exhaust pipe there

There is always solvang and the motorcycle museum. Lots of good riding in the area between the mountains and the coast.
Actually Lassen is a National Park. If we end up north I will do some leg work to find reasonable accomodations.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:32 PM
Crushertx3
Road Warrior

the labor day and Shasta thing sounds great I know the headliner band that is playing at the Shasta Rally

Old 01-24-2008, 01:09 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

OK Natnl park. My point is that a lot of the roads are 15mph and 20mph...

Nowhere to stay for non-campers. There is a B&B right by the north entrance and they let me stay there once, but had to hide the bike around back [&:]

Old 01-24-2008, 01:48 AM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 48 Posts

marcss ,

If you're going to do national parks & you're as far as Shasta, you might want to consider taking an extra day to two and checking out Crater Lake.
If you've never been there, it's really something.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:50 PM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

OK Natnl park. My point is that a lot of the roads are 15mph and 20mph...

Nowhere to stay for non-campers. There is a B&B right by the north entrance and they let me stay there once, but had to hide the bike around back [&:]
You funny....

Been looking at doing what we did with Yosemite....ride through but not stay there.
If the roads are in disrepairI am sure there are other rides in the area.

We rode just over 200 miles for the Yosemite run. That gives me all kinds of places to pick Would I let you down?

Old 01-24-2008, 11:09 PM
marcss
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: greg09997

marcss ,

If you're going to do national parks & you're as far as Shasta, you might want to consider taking an extra day to two and checking out Crater Lake.
If you've never been there, it's really something.
Thanks for the tip! I noticed that on my map program. Looks like there is a really nice ride around that lake! Sweet!

Quick Reply: 2nd Annual Pacific Rally - Location/ Date Poll