General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on bodily protection required. How to?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 06:05 AM
99octane
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on bodily protection required. How to?

I've bought my bike, and I'm very happy with it.
I also bought a pair of high quality leather gloves specific for riding (winter type) and a pair of rubber soled (oil resistant) riding leather boots and happened to own a Schott leather jacket and a motorcycle full face helmet I bought for track days with my car. That's all I've got.
It's decent equipment, but I'm not satisfied. The Schott was probably ok in the '70s, but now there are leather jackets specific for riding with armor plates in the elbows and shoulders and back. Unfortunately they are all extremely expensive, and I don't have the 600-800 € I'd need to buy one, so right now the Schott will have to do.

My main worry are my legs. I have just standard heavy cotton or denim trousers. These are decent weather protection but offer almost no protection in case of a fall, particularly to the knees. Since in case of a low side the first thing you'll hit the ground with is your knee, I'd like to get some protection. Riding pants are out of question as they are as expensive as the jacket. I wondered if there are some knee pads that can be worn while riding that can afford some protection in case of a fall, or some other way of protecting the knee...
Any idas / suggestions?

Old 01-25-2008, 06:12 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Advice on bodily protection required. How to?

if you are that worried about crashing you should keep your bike parked.get out and ride you can't worry about what might happen.and it may never happen so quit losing sleep.and beside all that fancy rideing gear still may not save your ***.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:20 AM
harleyxlc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Uh, no, you are smart to worry now rather than after the fact. Wearing gear is a choice, just as you should be free to choose to wear a t-shirt and jeans, you get to wear gear if you want to

You might try textile gear. One time use, not like leathers that can be repaired, but usually cheaper. Cortech and Tourmaster make some nice stuff, but there are other brands, too.

If you want to stay with jeans, there are companies that make jeans with a bit more protection in certain areas, like Draggin' Jeans. They have the option for knee armor. You could also get stand alone (wear alone?) armor to wear under your clothes, like Bohn or T-Pro, which both offer a full length pant style which includes hip, tailbone and knee armor.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:26 AM
krautrock
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suggest you check out webbikeworld's clothing review section, specifically the stuff listed under "Protective Clothing Reviews". While I'm sure they offer great protection, I don't really like the thought of armored undies ... depending on where I go and/or what the weather's like, I either ride in "semi-protective" (= Kevlar-lined) jeans or pants with built-in armor. I hate both, the power-ranger- (= multi-colored leathers) and the cowboy-look (= chaps), so I ordered myself a pair of these ...

The knee armor is height-adjustable/removable, and the pants themselves are super-comfy. And at just under $200, they're not too outrageously expensive, either.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:46 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Good quality leather chaps will help with leg protection.
If your worried about your knees,then you could always wear some motocross knee guards and Alpinestar boots but that would look funny on a street bike.
How about some rice rocket leathers?

Old 01-25-2008, 07:14 AM
99octane
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: sporty2003

if you are that worried about crashing you should keep your bike parked.get out and ride you can't worry about what might happen.and it may never happen so quit losing sleep.and beside all that fancy rideing gear still may not save your ***.
I don't know what in the world statistics have done to you guys for you to hate it so much.
I have my own opinion on the idea that since you can't protect against that 1 chance in 1000 worst case scenario, it's not worth taking measures against all the other 999 usual case scenarios, but I keep it to myself. Suffice to say that statistics works, and that's a fact.
I'll never be 100% safe, and that's a fact I'm perfectly aware of.
But improving one's chances is possible and, within certain limits, recommended.
I perfectly know that by reloading my ammo I could blow myself up, and I don't do it dressed like the bomb squad, but I wouldn't smoke while reloading, I don't do it while drunk, etc.
You think that you can go without protective gear? If it's ok for you, it's ok for me. Your choice. Mine's different.
If you can't respect that, don't expect too much respect in exchange.

Just to put things in the right perspective, I work with electric devices everyday and, for a hobby, I forge steel, weld with electric and gas welders, do trackdays, reload and shoot at the range, ride a bike and like drifitng on traffic free roads. So, since I'm actually compounding a pretty amount of different risks, I just want to make the chances I get serious injuries in each one of these "hobbies" as low as possible.
To each one his own, as they say.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:16 AM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd recommend Kevlar jeans - relatively inexpensive and they won't tear open upon impact like denim will.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:21 AM
99octane
Road Warrior

Thanks guys. Those pants krautrock posted seem ok. Now I have only to find something equivalent here in Italy, but I already know where to look. I just wanted some ideas.

1FLTRI4ME

No, I'm not much for the "Power Rangers" look myself, moreover it would be pretty excessive for the use I make of the bike, and I don't race nor try to push the envelope like most rocket riders do, so I just want something comfortable and that offers better protection than "none at all".

Old 01-25-2008, 07:27 AM
dowhat
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I wear leather in the winter, long paints and jacket in the cooler days and night, and shorts and tank top most of the summer. As far as going down, yea it may happen today but might not. It's your choice dress as you like, but you asked the question. I for one kinda shake my head when I see someone all bunded up in the middle of the summer when it's 95 or hotter outside, it's not for me. Known folks that came from the sport bike world that have all they gear but say it don't go with the Harley, so hope this helps you. Bottom line wear what you want, some will understand and some will not.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:33 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

For knee protection your going to need somthing like pants with extra paddingor guards to soften impact.
I can understand your concern and its your freewill to dress accordingly.
If I was still riding dirt bikes I would be wearing all the proper gear.On my street bike I just wear good quality leather.

Quick Reply: Advice on bodily protection required. How to?