General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAD Dealers and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 03:29 AM
RGJeeper401
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pikes Peak H-D can suck my a$$. I bought my Road Glide there used, and although I got a smokin' deal on it, the finance guy almost got socked. The sales guy did great; kudos to him. But I get to the final "sign the title to your trade" and he tells me, "Gee, I can't let you take the bike off the lot without insurance." I tell him, "my old insurance will cover it." He says, "If I don't have a card or a binder for your new bike I can't let you take it." I tell him, "I have a ride with the Patriot Guard tomorrow and it's Saturday." He stands firm. I say, "ok, I'll take my old bike, I haven't signed the title yet, it's still mine." He says, "well, they already took it in." I said, "give me my bike or rip up the papers, I'm done." Finally lets me take MY old bike until Monday when I can get insurance papers.

Enter the 10K service 11 months later. I normally do all my own work, but I figured it's a new bike, I'll let them do it. I wanted the CB module and antenna I bought online (correct parts) installed at the same time, and the oil switched to SYN-3. I was very specific about everything when I dropped it off. A week later, I get a call...the CB module didn't work. It was new in box when I got it. Turns out the newb tech working on my bike had no clue how it was supposed to work...I turned the squelch down and voila! So I go to pick it up a week later, and the knucklehead put dino oil in it and didn't even change the filter or grease the neck. I checked that **** over with a fine toothed comb and saw the filter was never changed, the neck wasn't greased and the belt wasn't adjusted either. They say "No problem, we'll fix it." The service tech came out and said, "They told me regular oil and I was in a hurry to get it done because of the problems with the CB. I've never installed one before." He switched the engine oil but not the primary. What the eff ever. I get a call later the next day and go to pick it up, and the windshield was scratched all to hell from taking off the outer fairing to install the CB. I call the service manager out and ask WTF! The tech comes out and says he's sorry and he thinks there's a new windshield in back. I tell him I don't give a eff if he takes one off a brand new bike on the showroom floor, I'm getting a new windshield because it wasn't like that when I brought it in. They throw a new windshield on and I will NEVER take my bike back there again. At least they gave me a $50 gift card "for my troubles."

Old 03-29-2012, 09:46 PM
nevrl8
Cruiser

The Barn in Des Moines Iowa-I had hail damage all over the 05 Fatboy LTD with gold plated badges. They were to replace the tank, front and back fenders, headlight, cow bells, and front lowers. I also had them do a service on it, since it was already in the shop for repairs. When I went to pick-up the bike, the invoice had a charge for $75.00 for buff/wax of paint. I asked the service guy why would they charge me this on "brand new" parts (Harley Davidson required the original parts be sent in before they would send replacements out, due to not wanting the '05 LTD paint to be copied, and would not give out the paint code to the dealer)? We go into the shop to look at the bike, and they had done the maintenance and replaced all the chrome parts, I ordered a flush-mounted gas cap kit for the new tank too. The old tin had really taken a beating at Sturgis, and the shop guys put all new chrome front end and maintenanced the bike, but they put all the hail damaged parts back on it and then proceeded to "buff/wax" it!!! So I'm more then pissed, but I want my bike to be taken care of, so I keep cool and say- just fix it, and all will be well. I wait over a week with out a call,so I finally call them. They tell me they had originally ordered the silver parts, instead of the black color ('05 LTD came in two color options). The factory would not send black parts until they got the silver returned to them, (more loss of ride time). When I finally get the call to come get my bike, it was back in the corner under a rack, I had them pull it out so I could see it, and it was dusty and ****. I had them clean it up and noted a 4 inch scuff on the top of the new tank on the right side starting from the gas cap trailing towards the seat. I was done with the hopes of getting my bike back like should have been. I told the servass guy, to call me when they had cleaned the bike as best as they could possibly get, and if it did not look as if it were brand new and off the show room floor, I would never take it out of their shop and would seek legal action. They call the next week, and when I picked it up it was a 9 out of a 0-10 scale (much better that I had expected). I took it home without a mention/word from anyone of any sorry or discount, and I sure as chit was not going to wear any of their t-shirts....Me thinking I would make them right their wrong, I took the bike back a little over a year later due to the ring fell off of the right tanks gas cap. I explained how since they had put it on the old hail damaged tank, that they should replace it for free. I had to wait a few weeks cause the part was on back order (they had two kits on the shelf that contained a ring in them, but they would not let me use one of them). Anyway they used several glues to try to get a replacement ring to stick, and ended up getting glue on the tank. Then had to grind the glue off (mind you this is the new tank from the factory a year ago) the tank. They refused to replace the tank, but gave me a hand written note that they would paint the right side of the tank for free at the end of the riding season. I sold the bike to another dealer with full disclosure and gave him the voucher. My fingers are now numb from typing, gonna go finish my beer before it gets any warmer.

Last edited by nevrl8; 03-29-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:53 AM
tino7689
3rd Gear

Laredo, TX well I purchased a new 2012 Iron in San Antonio Texas on a Sat. instead of Laredo because San Antonio was giving me a better deal. (by the way I live in Laredo) On Monday I went to school and half way to school my battery and engine light turn on. I get to school and call the SA dealership to let them know whats going on and they tell me Laredo's dealership can take care of me. So I call Laredo and they tell me its probably a part (i forgot which one) and they will be getting some by Monday, to take it in then. The following day I called Laredo's dealership again to see if i can take it in that same day because there going based on a part and they haven't even checked the bike. So the guy I spoke with tells me that instead to bring it in on Friday because they work on appointments and they should have the part in by then. So I end up taking it in on Friday and speak with the same guy and he tells me it is going to take 7-10 days before its ready because they have to order the part. So I told him you haven't even checked my bike and your telling me its that part and second I told him you told me that you were getting in the parts on Friday. So he tells me "yea that's why I told you to bring it in that same day, because were already installing the part in several other bikes and we have to reorder more" at this point I'm like WTF you did not tell me to bring it in that same day, the guy literally told me to take it in on Friday. Now I have no choice but to play there game because I'm not going to SA anytime soon and there's only one dealership in Laredo. And iv now had my bike for 2 weeks but only drove it for 2 days and I'm still waiting for the Laredo dealership to call me that its ready.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:48 PM
KrazyKrout
Stage III

Bad dealer; Rubber City Harley Davidson, Akron
Ohio.
Just bought a 2011 Street Bob, and requested a left to right conversion for front brake and a rt to left for the clutch. Why on earth would I want this LOL.
Im a Disabled vet from Vietnam era. Have a gimpy left hand, it locks up and malfunctions in cold weather or when riding. Ridden for 38 years. Is there a conversion kit for the dual front brakes. Stock lines to hard to bend may break, or foul out!
This dealer whined like a sissy about attempting it.
Last resort abandon front brakes or at least 1 side.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:55 PM
springer3
Tourer

I think you could do a couple of things what if you ran a second brake peddle for front brakes and no lever on right side? double peddle would work fine once you got use to it!!I think i could convert the left and right no problem it seems it might take a hour or two to do it the problem would be finding a resevor for right side!! But as many cnc machines that are out there i would think finding the right part would be the hardest thing!!!

Old 04-02-2012, 08:12 PM
springer3
Tourer

Ok so many problems with dealers at least ill say a good owrd for one Adam Smiths Texas HD!! I know buying a bike there they wont give you a break but the parts guy are second to none!!! I have delt with them for years not only do most of them know what there talking about but instead of just looking at computer they will go pull part set it aside for me and they treat me like they want me there!!!

Old 04-05-2012, 04:58 PM
Sportrider79
Cruiser

Sauk Prairie WI HD. I had a oil leak ( at the time I didn't know were it was coming from on my Sporty) Called the dealership and talked to someone about it. Took the Receptionist 3 tries to get someone to answer the phone in the service department. I finally get someone and there answer was. well you can drop it off and eventually someone will get around to looking at it...I don't think so!

Old 04-17-2012, 05:33 PM
ChromedomeEmeritus
Stage IV
Default MC Motorsports / Hard Core Products

Last February I ordered a set of 18x3.5 Hard Core "Rockstar" wheels from MC Motorsports in Southern California. The sales guy said 4 weeks. 8 weeks later I get the wheels. I take them to Wheel Works in Garden Grove to have them fitted with tires and mounted. First problem they find is the rear wheel is not tapped to accept the stock mounting bolts for the rotor & pulley, shorter bolts are needed. Second problem they find is the powder coating did not adhere fully to the front wheel. I tell them to mount it up anyway and I will either touch it up or wait for MC Motorsports to fab a replacement. While putting the axle into the front wheel, the wheel bearing on the opposite side is able to be pushed out by hand!!
Wheel Works explains that this will only get worse as the wheel gets used and eventually create an unsafe riding condition. At this point I give up. I tell them to remount the stock wheels with new tires. I call MC Motorsports and blow a gasket on the phone as the owner, Jeff stutters & stammers that he has to see them to be sure etc. No apology, No "we"ll make it right", Just hesitation and non committal. I was an idiot and paid him cash. Now I will try to get that back. I'm still really pissed, so I may be outta line somewhere...let me know if I am. Otherwise I'll keep this thread updated.

Update: Owner Jeff stepped up and refunded my purchase in cash! Good on Him, I really appreciate that. I kinda feel sorry for the guy, as I think his intentions are good but he just has not gotten the QC thing down yet. Reading other post in the interwebs I see where other folks have had similar QC problems.

Last edited by ChromedomeEmeritus; 04-21-2012 at 10:35 AM. Reason: update
Old 04-22-2012, 09:17 AM
casteel
Cruiser

Rt. 66 Harley Davidson in Tulsa, OK.

Younger arrogant sales associates. (Possibly due to the new management change recently). Pushy sales, and were more concentrated on sell the dealership rather than selling me a bike. The guy that "helped" me was cursing a lot and trying to be "cool with me."

I asked for a quote on a bike and some extra's to compare my quote I had got earlier from another dealer. The MSRP was the only thing the same when pricing comes. The extra's were priced much more than other dealerships, and they have a awful amount of fee's added to the price. (doc fees, destination, stock, etc.) which totalled up over $1,700. They were unwilling to negotiate with the price, and rebuttled with how great of a dealership they were, and the volume they put out.

So if you're in the Tulsa area looking for a Harley Davidson. I would suggest check out both Rt. 66 and Myers-Duren and see which one you like better. From my experiences though...I suggest Myers hands down.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:04 AM
tacoma5432
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Baltimore HD

They gave me a hell of a dealncompared to the shops in PA where i live. I was due to pick my 12 SG up on a Saturday morning and on Friday i got a call at noonfrom my salesman saying it would not be ready. He said we still have to Dyno it. I told him cool, you have the rest of today and tomorrow to do it i will come in the afternoon. So Saturday morning comes around and he calls again and says its not goingto be done i had to send your exhaust back to california the chrome was messed up. Ultimately 2 stories way off, so it set off some red flags in my head. So i got in the truck n drove there and went right to service and asked what the deal was. The service manager told me that all my parts were in but the bike just got scheuled for install the day prior by my salesman. I hate being lied to. Needless to say i MF'ed my salesmen and finally got my bike that next thursday. But when i picked it up he said its all done. Needless to say some of my upgrades werent on it. I asked if he was sure n he said its all there. Then when i said what was missing he said "oh thats on back order"... Another lie... Still havent gotten my back order parts but hey they gimme a $50 gift card and think it made it all better. Not getting no more of my business thats or sure.

Quick Reply: BAD Dealers and Experiences