General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ride to alaska

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 11:07 PM
vulture68
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ride to alaska

Wife and I took our bikes up this last summer. Roads are annoying, but not hard if you stay on the Alcan all the way to Alaska. Harley is not the bike of choice for Top of the World or North of Fairbanks.

Milepost is a must. The construction areas can get bad, but if you have time in gravel you should be fine. All the bikes with us were damaged. Trucks and RVs are jerks and will throw rocks at you. There is a long stretch of gravel prior to the Alaska border in Yukon. If you see the sweeper working the road do two things 1. When he moves to the left, don't go around to his right as he loves to turn on the sweeper as you go by. 2. Throw a big rock at the a-----e.[:@] One other thing. Check the bikes for loose fittings. The rough roads will shake stuff loose. Pegs, racks and the backet that holds the front wheel on all came off bikes on the trip.

Tire repair kit and rain gear. You will get wet. If you plan to stop by 5pm you should be ok for a room. Only place we found a problem was Whitehorse. Cruise ship people fill the place up. I would call ahead next time. Gas up every time you can. Some places only have low octane gas. If you fill up all the time, you will not have to do a full tank of low octane.

We took the ferry back to Prince Rupert and rode to Victoria. You can buy ties in Alaska rather than carry them all the way. To get to the ferry, you have to go through the tunnel at Whittier Alaska. The tunnel is a railway tunnel. You have to cross the rails at a shallow angle, then ride the whole way in the dark and wetbetween the rails. ( You have to wear a lid as rocks fall from the roof sometimes.) It is over two miles long. Did I mention the two very large fans that try to blow you sideways as you ride between the rails?? Now the reason I tell you this is so you can warn your wife before you go through the tunnel. My wife hates tunnels and really hates riding on railway bridges and tunnels, so I kind of forgot to tell her about it before hand. As she came out of the tunnel, she rode up to my bike, lifted her visor and told me that I will never have sex again. And, true to her word..................... So, just a word to the wise. Have fun.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:20 AM
spotter
Cruiser

Don't let anybody scare you off this ride. I came up on abagger in 1974 from the midwest when I was 22. Great scenery, great people , so great I have'ntleft yet. I took two months and had a hell of an adventure. You will too. Good luck. P.S. 40 below zero f. today, hopefully it will warm up before june.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:44 AM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just received my Milepost for my upcoming Alaskapade and the people here are right. It is FULL of great information about every part of Alaska...rainfall, temps, lodging, etc. Worth every penny.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:30 AM
vulture68
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: spotter

Don't let anybody scare you off this ride. I came up on abagger in 1974 from the midwest when I was 22. Great scenery, great people , so great I have'ntleft yet. I took two months and had a hell of an adventure. You will too. Good luck. P.S. 40 below zero f. today, hopefully it will warm up before june.
Agree with that. The trip is an adventure and a lot of fun. Eighty percent or better of the Alcan was fine last year. Only 20 miles of really annoying road. Rest of it was just gravel or potholes that you see everywhere else. It is not a difficult trip. Unless, of course, you make your wife mad at you.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:36 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The Alcan on a SHOVELHEAD, GOOD man. (You're a '52 baby, too) I have read every post in this thread, and I now wished my brother and I would have made this trek when we thought about it years ago. I am soon to be 56 and he, 60. I envy those of you who have made it, and I hope those of you planning, do take it. I do have to chuckle a bit at the packing lists. Duct tape, tire patch, wrenches, bug dope, reservations, gas at every chance, Preparation H, watch for gravel and animals, etc. Sounds like Momma and megetting ready to go over to SoDak (300 mi) on the panhd chopper.

I'm GUMBY Dammit

Old 02-05-2008, 10:28 AM
spotter
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Da Gumpmeister

The Alcan on a SHOVELHEAD, GOOD man. (You're a '52 baby, too) I have read every post in this thread, and I now wished my brother and I would have made this trek when we thought about it years ago. I am soon to be 56 and he, 60. I envy those of you who have made it, and I hope those of you planning, do take it. I do have to chuckle a bit at the packing lists. Duct tape, tire patch, wrenches, bug dope, reservations, gas at every chance, Preparation H, watch for gravel and animals, etc. Sounds like Momma and megetting ready to go over to SoDak (300 mi) on the panhd chopper.

I'm GUMBY Dammit
Yeah, all I had was a bota bag, a tent and some top ramen. I wanna a pan too gump!

Old 02-07-2008, 01:28 PM
wmwjr
Intermediate

thanks for the comments. Yes....Alaska Hiway. A lot to think about.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:31 PM
wmwjr
Intermediate

thanks for your thoughts. Lots to think about. will try to submit some pics etc.
thanks again

Old 02-07-2008, 01:33 PM
wmwjr
Intermediate

thanks for the reply. shouldnt be as cold as where you live. pretty mild according to all I read and hear. I will let you know. thanks again!

Old 02-07-2008, 01:36 PM
wmwjr
Intermediate

thanksfor the reply. cammo in the pic? former usmc here. we have done a lot of harley touring so should have all the essentials. from what I read and here there is no shortage of supplies along the way. but I will prepare for the worse anyway. thanks again!

Quick Reply: ride to alaska