General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At what age did you let your kids ride on back?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 10:12 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: At what age did you let your kids ride on back?

A guy I road with took his grandson at age 3 to ride with us. He used a belt to tie his grand son to him. The kid was so usest to riding that he fell asleep on his grand fathers back. The belt came in handy to keep him up right when he tilted over because he fell asleep riding. It was a cold day and the boy was so comfortable with his grandfather and loud pipes till he fell asleep on his back. That was a great experience I had watching them two. The kid has a wonderful grandfather that is very experienced from what I could tell on how to ride a kid and secure him so he doesnt fall off. No he couldnt touch the pegs.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:20 PM
HDSmith
Advanced

My oldest daughter was 12 when I got my bike last summer. My younger daughter, 10,loves to ride too. We do the neighborhood yard sales and ride to the next town for a coke.

[IMG]local://upfiles/38209/A6B05696C8364A87932536C70F42193B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-11-2008, 12:03 AM
Bluerose

18 1/2 but I didn't have a bike until then

Been wanting to take my 9 yr old nephew for a ride but my brother just won't have it....sigh.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:05 AM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 48 Posts

My oldest daughter ( 10 ) rides with me all the time. She's a great passenger & has been ridding with me, since she was 9.

My youngest daughter just turned 5. For her Birthday, I took her for a ride through our neighborhood, nice and slow. I strapped towels on top of the saddle bags so she could rest her feet on them, & I have a passenger hand rail for her to hold on. This was in November, and she still talks about how much she enjoyed it.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:17 AM
kjriv
Road Warrior

My boy started riding on the back around the time he started dirtbiking..when he was 6....big enuf to reach the pegs, old enough to understand to stay away fromthe pipes (from personal experince off his PW50)..just put the detach sissy bar on and off we went (to the Mrs dismay)...

He's loved it since..2 yrs later,now he comes to me with the lids in hand for a ride.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:12 PM
bearc.paw
Tourer

I have Three Sons and one Daughter. My youngest Son will be the only one to have a Harley one day, Currently He is in College. I had him on my bike when he was a wee one, I 'd pick him up from the babysitter on the bike. Its definately in his blood. I've given them all a ride when they were smaller. My daughter has ridden with merecently. I thinkages to start riding when they can fit safely on the bike. But, of all my kids, myyoungest Son has ridden with memore, and shows more interest. But will admit I haven't always adhered to the fitting safely part. The youngest was still in diapers when had his first ride.( An infant)......Ride Safe and Often......BearC.Paw......

Old 02-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Desert_RK
Advanced

I took my daughter on my Honda (In front) when she was 4. Rode all around town with her like that, every weekend. She loves riding. She hasn't been on the HD yet as it isn't really great for her to be in front, and I don't know if she's confident enough to ride behind. She's still only 5.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:29 PM
Dennydp
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends on size,etc but both boys were around 6 when they started going on long rides with me.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:34 PM
nilro
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: wallyn

The rule I gave to my kids was "Your feet need to be able to be firmly on the footpegs sitting correctly on the Back seat." They have been happy with that rule. My 10, 8, and 6 year old can ride with me but my 5 year old is patiently waiting. If they act improperly or dangerously then they will lose the privelage of riding on the back.
Good rule of thumb wallyn. Don't they also need to know when to wave? Oh wait, shouldn't have said that.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For riding on the back, I used wallyn's chain of thought. But both my boys rode with me by the time they were 3. Fashioned a li'l set of clamp on pegs for their feet, and they rode in front of me. Short runs, < 5 miles to town and back. They had a Honda 1103 wheeler by 6 & 9, and a Yamaha Mini 80 at 10 & 13. Youngest is now 24, on a Honda 750 Nighthawk and oldest is 27, on a Goldwing. Ya, I know, where's the HD, $$$$$$$$$$$$, that's where. Both likkin' their chops for the Ol' Geezr to ante up or croak.
And they had that "waving" thing down pat on the 3 wheeler as ppl drove past our house.

Quick Reply: At what age did you let your kids ride on back?