General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Watch your MIRRORS !!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 10:16 PM
Nightrider2
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Watch your MIRRORS !!!

Went for a ride today, and ended up heading to the local HD shop, via nice county blacktopped road. As i'm ridding, i see a school bus approaching from the west heading east, also see a car ahead on the left sitting on a side road. I 'm thinking the bus is going to stop and let some kids off. So, i pump the brake a couple of times to let a car behind me know i'm going to start slowing down. YOU know where this is going?? lol. Well the yellow bus lights come on, I'm slowing down so that i can stop when he does, he hits the REDS, and i pump the brake a couple more go to full brake, and stop. All the time watching my mirrors off and on. All of a sudden i see LOT"S of blue smoke, and hear tires squalling hard, and i watch a blue sports car come out of the smoke, right toward me. I start to slip the clutch and move ahead , planning to blow the red light stop the bus has made, IF the car keeps coming. It does, so i go about 10-15 feet more, finally the car stops. The bus driver and i are about 25 feet apart by now, he smiles, wipes his brow in acknolegment to me, and clears the red lights. I take off shaking my head, and put some distance between me and the car behind me. Yes, i thanked GOD for giving me the cool head and the plan to get out of the way if i had to. It could have been ugly quick. lesson learned, ALWAYS, ALWAYS keep your eyes on the mirrors. Yup, it was a good day to ride in Oregon[8D], with a lot more to come.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:29 PM
HOGinit
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Watch your MIRRORS !!!

Great Post Thanks for sharing and Thank God you left yourself an out. Always leave room for a bail out and always watch your mirrors.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:36 PM
azhole
Road Master

Maybe it shoulda been an ugly lesson for dipshi+ to learn. Not only was your safety in jeopardy, but so were the kids. No excuses for that crap, that I'm aware of anyway.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:42 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 621 Likes on 386 Posts

I typically keep one eye on the rear view while waiting to make aleft turn. People just don't see bikes.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:29 PM
bcox
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Glad to hear you made it out unharmed. I also frequently check my mirrors as you did. Great tip to exercise.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:35 PM
mnvikingsfan
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fvckin idiot cagers!!!!!

Glad you are OK!

Old 02-16-2008, 04:44 AM
noname
Club Member
Received 989 Likes on 541 Posts

It's never a bad thing to be aware! Glad it was only a close call. Noname

Old 02-16-2008, 05:28 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Another inattentive driver!! Thank God no one got hurt.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:42 AM
oldgoat
Advanced

Saw a car behind me with bald tires. When we came to a stop light I saw blue smoke coming from his tires but he wasn't slowing down. I whipped into turn land next to car in front of me & watched hem rear-end the car. A COP CAR. The cop saw what was going on to cause I could see him bracing for impact. I looked at the cop & asked if he needed me to stay as witness & he just said "NO-This ones Mine."

Old 02-16-2008, 07:33 AM
justablurr
Intermediate

Nightrider, excellent post!!! People really need to be aware since there are so many different ways that motorists can be distracted! I travel about 25-30 miles each way on a main interstateto go to work, and can't believe my eyes when I actually see people with newspapers or books perched right on their steering wheels, reading while driving! It's no wonder so many motorists get killed everyday!
I'm glad that you made it out of your situation and thank you for bringing this important message to other motorcyclists. Take care and beware!

Quick Reply: Watch your MIRRORS !!!