General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bobber or Chopper?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 08:02 AM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Bobber or Chopper?

ORIGINAL: JB

You're right these new ones you're seeing that are being sold off the show roomfloor aren't choppers they are customs a chopper is a stock bike thats been modified.
Ive had to use the dremel, stripped anything i dont likeand bolts that fit with a little force does that mean i got a chopper? I just thought i had the result of a few beers,pain meds and bad taste.Itshould be called thehang-over

Old 02-27-2008, 11:40 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

You sound a little old school to me.My feelings are the same.The one chopper I built you could ride hard,it was more than just a cruiser.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:13 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

99octane made some good points. I built my chopper to my personal taste, modeled it off a '56 pan I had in '70. I run a soft Conti Blitz on the rigid rear and a well padded seat for comfort. I don't do 500 mi days, just cruise the country roads around my place in the boonies. It suites me just fine and everyone in the county knows me and my red chopper.

[IMG]local://upfiles/36103/A13D0AE126B443718FC1A1F47CF03D5A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/36103/1B7EE7E4EB194AF89C9261AA89C63B0F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-27-2008, 01:15 PM
meanbite
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate customs. Can't stand 'em. I appreciate the work that goes into them but would never own one.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:51 PM
ChiliPepperGarage
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, I love the old school stuff. Then again, I seem to be stuck in the 70's with no desire to get out! You guys have some good responces on here and I can tell you've been around. I don't like the new customs so much either. At first they were cool but after about 10 years of seeing the same style, I'm sick of it. Tribal flames, long tanks, spears, b a r b e d wire, etcI could puke!

I do like the rat rod (I a hot rod guy too) and bobber revival. Here is a little bike I'm building. I call it a bar hopper 'cause it isn't really a chopper or a bobber. It's going to have a solo seat and no back fender or a small fender mounted to the swing arm.

[IMG]local://upfiles/53772/1E44257DD4FB44FF93ECF26547E5FA39.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/53772/E83209269B7442318158160A73364876.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-27-2008, 08:37 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 624 Likes on 388 Posts

ORIGINAL: BadBoyFLSTC

I would love to build a chop with one of these front ends http://www.sugarbearchoppers.com/index.htm
One of the best front ends on the market.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:55 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

GOOD thread. Have N JOYed sitting back, reading the posts and following along. Has brought back memories, most good, but some not so good. Bobbers were the "original" choppers. "CHOP" anything off it that is not required to run it. They painted the wheels, cuz $$$$ was short (rather buy brewskis). Then someone discovered Model "A" radius arms worked GREAT for replacing the legs in a springer front end. Strong and light (relative to other forms) Cut the neck, jack the rake out, reweld. "What rake you got on yours?" "3/8" What that meant was after you cut the neck, you put a 3/8" bolt in the gap created, and welded her up. 1/2" was likewise a 1/2" bolt. there was no 38*, 40*, 45* then.
Geometry - that was something you failed in high school while you were day dreaming 'bout riding. Not something on a chopper. Here's where the "bad" memories come in. It is called rake and trail and how a motorcycle rolls, or worse, doesn't roll down the road. It was a "deadly" learning experience for many. And close for the rest. We attributed a lot of the "problems" to beer and reefer, not the handling.
Had my first one in '75. Ol' Iron head Sporty, 14 over springer, most ill handling POS I ever owned. Actually didn't own it, they let me use it after I sold my 52 Servicar and was waiting for a 76 XLCH to arrive in Hawaii.
I've had them "most" of the33 yrs since.The one we have now, started life in Az. It was a "molded" chopper. But the bondo was cracked and falling off. Looked pretty sad when we flew to Tuscon to pick itup. But it was mostly there. It has been an 8 yr project. ALL major components are vintage 70's items. It didn't start out to be a "Cap'n America". That happened when I decided to get involved in Viet Vet projects. And glad it turned out like it did. I run a girder instead of the extended wide glide front end. Put on some miles, and you'd know why. I run 16 -18# in the back tire forthat "cushy" ride. NO front brake and the old juice drum in the rear. You have to ride with your head and look "WAY" ahead. It is not a run in the traffic bike, unless you are slightly shifted, like me.
I can, but don't like to, make 450 in a "long" a$$ day. Momma's back gives out after 200 or so. But for the last 4 yrs, since we sold the Ultra, it has been our only ride. "Run what ya brung"
I have ridden the "new" ones, and you can have all of them you want. Just not my cup of tea.
I have friends that build the new ones,Ron at Chopper Concepts, Harris, Mn, Stack and Kim at Stacks Creative Customs, Forest Lake, Mn, and Larry (formerNatl Pres of http://bondslavesmc.net/
Forgiven Custom Cycles, Milaca,Mn.
If you really enjoy looking and reading about the OLD CHOPS, check out Denver's Choppers.
http://www.denverschoppers.com/main_mondo.htm Mondo was one of the "original" chopper guru's. And they are still in business. They are the one's who built the Flyin' Hawaiian. Had a 44 or 48 over springer, and was over 12' long and ran like the proverbial "raped ape".
Anyway, some great posts on here, and it is REALLY great to see and hear some ppl are actually still interested in them. Bobbers are making a GREAT comeback lately. I am not a bobber fanatic. possibly because I am 6 1/2' tall, and I look "stupid" on them. The chop is built to fit me, but I still act "stupid" on it. Would I sell the ol" boy? Ask the kids, last I heard, they planned on burying it with me. , So, no.
There are more pics over in the "Panhead" secton of the FORUM. Look for "Viet Vet Pan"
OH, and I can't forget, Momma looks "good" on the "Cap'n", too GUMBY

[IMG]local://upfiles/49714/4C2EFEF4CE0A4CB48

Old 02-27-2008, 10:07 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: whaap

To me Captain America was a chopper and Billy's bike was a bobber.

Funny, too...everytime I see those bikes, all the guys are standin around the Billy bike goin' "I could RIDE that SOB"...me too...

Old 02-27-2008, 10:12 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gump, thanks for the denverschoppers link, I haven't seen anything about Mondo for way too long...

Old 02-27-2008, 10:17 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: *NIGHT TRAIN*

Gump, thanks for the denverschoppers link, I haven't seen anything about Mondo for way too long...
GREAT, glad someone could N JOY it. Sometimes a guy just has to rattle the right cage, huh?

Quick Reply: Bobber or Chopper?