General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bobber or Chopper?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 08:39 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Bobber or Chopper?

Gumby, you forgot the "3/4" rake that produced ~45*. Worked great if the springer was set up right. One of my buds back then had a farm implement welder just cut the neck off at an angle, flipped it over,welded it upand ended up with ~45* running 12" over springer w/slug type extension. It was a 61" that fortunately couldn't run over about 60 mph max. Creative days then!

Old 02-28-2008, 08:56 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: DeJavu

Gumby, you forgot the "3/4" rake that produced ~45*. Worked great if the springer was set up right. One of my buds back then had a farm implement welder just cut the neck off at an angle, flipped it over,welded it upand ended up with ~45* running 12" over springer w/slug type extension. It was a 61" that fortunately couldn't run over about 60 mph max. Creative days then!
Oh, trust me, DeJa, I "forgot" a lot of chit. Some of it REALLY good, too, dammit. I'm 55, the belts are starting to slip a bit, THAT's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:01 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member

Hey Gumby, you need to switch out the belts for chains, keep 'em adjusted and they don't slip.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:15 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: DeJavu

Hey Gumby, you need to switch out the belts for chains, keep 'em adjusted and they don't slip.
Damn, ne'er even gave that a thought. SEE, told you I forgot some REALLY good chit.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:22 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member

Not to worry Gumby, I got your back!

Old 02-28-2008, 09:51 AM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 138 Likes on 57 Posts

I know this isn'ta HD, but it's what2 buddies and I are currently working on. not sure if you would call this a bobber or a chopper, got some of each in it... don't really care either, as long as we like it...lol.

[IMG]local://upfiles/22008/B13B665509384631AFAEA8BD16E662F8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-28-2008, 10:00 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member

The Honda 4 is a classic chopper, lots of choppers made from Hondas, BMWs, Triumphs, BSAs, etc. Harleys just were the easiest to chop and became the standard in the '70s.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:11 AM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

steveh236,

Nice. I always liked the look of a hardtail honda 750. I've seen a bunch and have always admired there builders for creating a nice looking ride. Looks great and coming along fine. Girder over springer?

Old 02-28-2008, 11:51 AM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 138 Likes on 57 Posts

thanks...

the 3 of us doing this have never done anything this involved before, but 2 of us have done all our own stuff up to this point and were ready to take this next step. I built a fairly nice mild custom out of my Yahama Roadstar before I got my roadglide, which included me doing the motor work to take it up to 108"/100hp/125tq and changing just about everything else on it.

the girder came with the roller we got. if we had had a choice, we would have gone with a springer. but as it turns out, it'sa Durfee girder, and apparently it is supposed to be a nice one, so maybe we lucked out... won't know till we see how it actually rides. Building this thing has been a real blast, and has got me fired up to do another one just for me. I have been looking at rollers, I think I have the confidence to tackle one myself now. I will probably sell my roadstar to finance it. I just keep looking at this new EPA crap for non-compliant bikes, and I may need to end up shopping for some old iron to start with instead of a new roller, to get around those new EPA regs.

this 750 is gonna be so light when its done, I think it will scream. we're trying to finish it to ride to NC in June for the Smokeout.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:50 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: steveh326

I know this isn'ta HD, but it's what2 buddies and I are currently working on. not sure if you would call this a bobber or a chopper, got some of each in it... don't really care either, as long as we like it...lol.

[IMG]local://upfiles/22008/B13B665509384631AFAEA8BD16E662F8.jpg[/IMG]
Honda 750 power plant? If so, there were "bunches" of those running around in the late 70's early 80's. FASTER than f*ck, they are. Hit Craigslist for Mpls/St Paul, there always seems to be one or two ol' Honda chops onthere.
Also, if it is a Honda, check these guys out:http://www.cyclexchange.net/index.html
They have and make some COOL chit.
Never matter minded me, what someone else rode, as long as they liked it. I've owned Hondas (have a 750 Nighthawk in the grudge right now), Limeys, Kawis, even had a Moto Guzzi one time. I have had HD's since 74, stick with them cuz my Dad was a Harley man in the 30's and 40's.
Good luck with the project. DeJavu has been 'round chops a lot, too. So, keep checking in as you go. There are a couple other guys round here, just not quite so "visible". "Closet chopper fans"

Quick Reply: Bobber or Chopper?