General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stoplight Etiquetee

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 07:44 PM
TxDeuce
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stoplight Etiquetee

You're coming up toa stoplight and there's a Harley in front of you with space on the side. Do you?

Old 04-16-2008, 07:46 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: Stoplight Etiquetee

There is a similar thread on here somewhere. It was pointed out that in several states, it would be illegal to pull up alongside.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:47 PM
TxDeuce
Tourer

Does that mean if you're riding with somebody it is illegal to stop along side them at the light?

Old 04-16-2008, 07:53 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Many (if not the majority) of states allow 2-up riding in a lane, meaning 2 bikes can share the same lane, so if you are riding with a buddy of course it's okay to pull along side of them at a stoplight.

But if there is a stranger on a bike stopped in front of you don't take any of their lane, as many don't appreciate that at all.

Depending on what part of the lane they are in, stop behind them where you can be seen by them in one of their mirrors.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:01 PM
grimreaper169
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went to the lawn mower shop last week and parked tight to the right in my parking spot knowing how I would be leaving. When I came out there was a f350 half way in my spot. Well after going back in the mower shop and finding out who drove a peice of sh#$ ford f350 I informed him that was my space weather or not I was useing all of it or not. I feel the same way about the red light (unless you know me then it is ok). Oh and I did insest he move his peice of sh#$ truck before I would even get on my bike.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:05 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member

I never pull beside a bike I dont know, I'll stay behind them and acknowledge them if they bother to look.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:12 PM
sharkeydude
Road Master

Always stay behind for me. I had a guy do that the other day and it scared the **** out of me. I was watching the light and thinking of something else then I heard RUUMMMMMMM and saw them next to me...some kid on a Honda. Aggrivated the hell out of me but, I was nice. When the light turned I let him go first cause I had no Idea if he was turning or not. That's the main reason I don't crowd a biker in front of me I'm not riding with; I don't know where he's going.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:20 PM
Lyfer
Tourer

Ran into that situation again tonight. (In my state (Iowa) it is legal for two in lane)He even pulled over to the right b4 stopping. I stayed behind him. Maybe if I'm "motioned" up I'd go up to talk with the rider, but otherwise, no. Can't really read things into other's actions good enough to know if you're intruding or not.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:26 PM
big_al
Elite HDF Member

stay back if they look back at you maybe nod other than that just dont invade their space...

Old 04-16-2008, 08:30 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I only pull up along the people I'm riding with. I know I wouldn't like someone pulling up next to me so I don't do it to any one.

Quick Reply: Stoplight Etiquetee