General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which bike for long distances and poor roads (and extreme conditions)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 03:56 PM
Vinnie85FXWG
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which bike for long distances and poor roads (and extreme conditions)?

This seems like fun. I've heard the roads are worst there than in Mexico. Here is a few pics from a few days ago on the EDR.

Pot Hole Carnage: Photos courtesy of JJ crew.

One of the lucky ones...

And the not so lucky...

Don't let your guard down for a second!

Old 04-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Vinnie85FXWG
Tourer
Default RE: Which bike for long distances and poor roads (and extreme conditions)?

Oh, and bike wise, I would go with this!

Or this!

Old 04-23-2008, 04:57 PM
kb
Intermediate

I think I would choose a Heritage Softail or Street Glide.I have ridden a Heritage for up to 600 miles in one day. Never ridden a street glide but the options on that bike are certenly very impressive.Regardless of you're choice have a lot of fun and a SAFE ride. KB

Old 04-23-2008, 05:28 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,731 Likes on 1,552 Posts

Yeah you could never do any of that on an Electra Glide...
The suspension is just not made for it...
You MUST buy a KTMBMWKLR.

Take a look cuz. This guy has been touring the world - forever - on a Glide. In ALL conditions.

Point is, it can be done.

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/forwood/mytrip.shtml

lp

Old 04-23-2008, 05:35 PM
kickstart pan
Road Master

Rigid Pan, then you can come back here and say you've done something.
Let's face it if you want to take a Harley over an Enduro, your going for poser points.
So if your taken a Harley - take a real one

kickstart

Old 04-23-2008, 05:42 PM
rwagon57
Tourer

People ride Harleys to Alaska from the lower 48 all the time.A few years back a single woman rode a Yamaha XT225 from Canada to Tierra Del Fuego. There is a couple from Australia that have been on the road for something like 10 years and visited almost 300 countries while racking up over 300,000 miles on a Road Glide. Back in the early days of this sport several people rode hardtails coast to coast over mostly poorly maintained dirt and gravel roads. In 1974 one of my father's co-workers rode his rigid 18-inch over springer no front brake shovel head chopper from Long Beach to Fairbanks and Anchorage and back.

Ride the bike that fits you, lets you be comfortable, and can carry your stuff.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:55 PM
nomad billy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

cheapest dyna you can buy,build from there.Aluminum panniers,aftermarket windshield,sundowner solo seat,road pegs, not extended controls.Go any where you wish.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:56 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

For the wife and I it was an easy choice, a RK with pillow top seat and Progressive shocks

Old 04-23-2008, 06:03 PM
Tralfaz
Road Master

ORIGINAL: 61panhead
The KLR650 is tailor made for this purpose.
It is a 650cc single cyl thumper.
Another similar option, if you don't mind something a bit "newer", is the Kawasaki Versys. I've not ridden one, but the've been out in Europe for a couple years and hit here recently and every review I've ready is pretty favorable. It looks better than the KLR and is fuel injected. The downside is that the tank is smaller and I imagine it will be harder to find aftermarket parts to tweak it.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:17 PM
DesertSpeed
Account Suspended
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buell Ullyses or the BMW 1200GS. To be different, the VRSCR with different tires should also make the trip very well.
Who said 650 thumper? I have a thumper. It's only a 500. Not my choice for long rides again. There's a reason they're called thumpers.

Quick Reply: Which bike for long distances and poor roads (and extreme conditions)?