General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Learning without a license?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 12:33 PM
dmercer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Learning without a license?

Hi all, I'm in a bit of a bind as far as getting my license. I picked up my bike last Tuesday and stashed it safely in my garage. I'm a South Dakota resident, but I live in ND while I finish school. The nearest SD DMV is just over an hour away, which isn't bad, but I'd have to drive an hour home to get the old man's pickup and trailer in order to get my bike there, as I'm guessing the state examiner wouldn't be too happy if I rode my bike to take the exam.

I've done a massive search through the forum and found lots of stories of people failing the test the first (several) times because
a) they weren't prepared for the type of driving the state wanted to see (lots of slow speed stuff)
b) they decided their bike was too big / too top heavy / etc

Obviously I'm going to have to ride some before I'm comfortable enough to take the test. I've driven dirtbikes and some smaller sportbikes in the past when friends have owned them, but the Sportster is quite a bit different than those. Further, It's not like learning in a car where you can have someone that knows what they're doing riding shotgun. How much did you all ride before taking the test, and what was the DMV test like in your state?

I have the option of waiving the DMV test if I take a state approved saftey course, but the nearest one is a hair over 2 hours away, and they're typically run 3 weeknights in a row for 5 hours each, which is a real pain. I'd love to take the course, and will in the future if I don't know, but it's just a huge inconvenience with school and work.

What would you recommend? Drop the cash for gas and the course? Ride around some quiet neighborhoods until I feel confident and trailer the bike to the DMV?

Old 04-27-2008, 01:48 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Learning without a license?

Some people recommend borrowing a smaller bike to take the test.
Tom

Old 04-27-2008, 01:55 PM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most states if you take the safety course the test is waived. I'd say take the course if there is anyway you can swing it. It'll be an inconvenience to you...but well worth it in the long run. Me thinks you'll be glad you did when it's over.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:56 PM
Rusty70
Advanced

In NC they give you a permit after taking a mutiple choice test. The permit gives you around a yr or so before you need to take the road test. Is it not the same where you are at?

Old 04-27-2008, 02:00 PM
dmercer
Cruiser

Are there any other restrictions on that 'learner's permit', Rusty? South Dakota does the same thing, but they require you to ride along side another fully licensed biker, and I don't know of anyone in town, so the best I could do is take my chances with the ND LEO's and hope they don't know about that restriction. If I knew of someone with a smaller bike I'd throw it in my trunk and be on my way

Old 04-27-2008, 02:02 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

The smaller bike idea is a good idea. Sounds like you're really a victim of your local geography. Personally, as much as it is a PITA for you, I'd recommend biting the bullet and taking the riders course. You may become more comfortable riding the bike in a local neighborhood but that won't necessarily prepare you for the drivers test. The riders course really is a better option and since you stated that you intend to take it in the future anyway, go ahead and get it over with.

Good luck in whateveryou decide!
Steve R.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:05 PM
Arc1
Novice

Find out what SD uses for it's test and lay out the course in a parking lot and practice. If it is anything like ND it is pretty simple, I passed on my FXDC no problem.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:07 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Likewise, Florida gives you a 'learners' permit after answering multible choice
questions...allowing you to ride for something like, sixty days before taking
"THE test".
You should be able to turn your bike in whatever radious your states requires....
swerve around some cones and stop 'quickly' in alloted distance without skidding
your tires.
Ask you motor vehicle testing site for the particulars. But most people fail when
they have to do a u-turn......and they drop their feet.
For the price..if you can, take the course. I have never heard of anyone failing it,
I guess if you were to crash/burn and get carried away in an ambulance........
you might have to retake the course.
Also....taking the course may qualify you for a reduction in insurance.

Chuck

Old 04-27-2008, 02:11 PM
Rusty70
Advanced

You just cant ride with your girl on the back. When your ready to take road test you just roll in the DMV and get er done. Sometimes this restriction comes in handy when I want to ride solo up to bike night without the wife.Ive had my permit for over 2 yrs. My first permit expired so i renewed it. I need to take a day off and get the real deal. In my town you have to get to the DMV by 1.30.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:18 PM
dmercer
Cruiser

Thanks for the replies everyone! Maybe the test won't be so bad, it was mostly the "Staggered Cones of Impossibility" that made me uneasy. I have a class A CDL and have driven clutch vehicles for years, the Sporty's clutch was no different, just takes a lot of feathering to get it to crawl along at slow speeds. U-turns don't bother me much either, did a few of them at a snail's pace in some cul-de-sacs on the way home from the dealer just to get the feel of the bike.

Quick Reply: Learning without a license?