General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What sort of tent for bike camping?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 11:49 PM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: What sort of tent for bike camping?

I'm currently using the blue tent. It's a Coleman I got from Wal-Mart for $50 about 10 years ago.
It's about at the end of it's usable life. Zipper problems.
I've had more expensive tents, but this one has worked great.

I tested the Big Agnes Big House 6 but returned it.
Too big and the vestibule for the bike doesn't work and really is unnecessary.
I got it from a local supplier, Trail and Ski Shop. I know the owner and he lets metest things out.
I do want a small vestibule, forgot toadd that to the list.
A vestibule really helps in the rain getting in and out of the tent. Also let you store some we or dirty items you don't want in the tent.
Here's what I've found so far.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:12 AM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What sort of tent for bike camping?

I am getting old and no more camping for me. I'm done with that. Nothing better then putting in 3-400 miles and then hitting a warm shower and a air conditioned/heated room with a bed. Its a plus if there is a house bar. Now I have done my share of camping. Me and my wife both. You meet some of the nicest people camping. And if it wasn't for her I would probably still be camping. She exposed me to the finer things in life.

When I was camping I used2 old US Army snap together shelter halves and 2 army sleeping bags.I found aOD green buckled canvas bag to put the shelter halves,pegs and a hammer in. Between the sleeping bags and the tent it didn't take up too much room on the bike.

Oh baby am I spoiled for space on the ultra w/ sidecar. I can add to the space by putting a luggage rack on the tour pack and tie a roll bag to it.

I cheated this trip. My daughter,grandson and sig other came along in there 4 wheeler as support services for grammy and grampy. They had a portable hand held CB for communications. It was extra handy as it took the work out of when to stop. Kept it off channel 19 (truckers own the hwy and that channel) and on another channel. I am proud of my wife who never, despite the rain, at times nerve racking traffic and other things ever asked to ride in the car. And I can tell you it was scary driving over Black mountain with the sidecar too.