General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding 30 years ago

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 03:13 PM
olddude48
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Riding 30 years ago

I grew up in Alaska. Started riding in 63. As teenagers,we rode what we could afford. I remember Cushmans,Mustangs,BSA,Triumph,Indians,AJS,Honda,Su suki and Harley.
I helped build the first Harley shop in Anchorage. They also sold Susuki,which was one of my first bikes. We did alot of Dirt biking and trail riding but had to have one that could also be ridden on the street. I think there was a pretty even mix of bikes back then. I know a friend of mine had a Harley Scat, It was a 2 cycle! My briother had a Sprint for awhile and then a Sportster,I think they were 1000's back then. I remember riding that thing up a ski slope when I was home on leave from the Navy. He would of killed me,had he known. Luckily I didn't dump it. When I got out of the service in 70. I bought a Honda 350SL which was what I call a street/dirt bike. In the 80's I started riding mainly street bikes and have had every major brand,Yamaha,Honda,Susuki,Kawasaki and Harley's.
There was alot less traffic back then and riding was more enjoyable! The good ol days!

Old 05-20-2008, 07:44 PM
Nomad X
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeap,I remember the old "King & Queen" seats.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:10 PM
Acobia66
Cruiser

These guys look like their from that era, theres a full patch Outlaw in there from Nashville where I'm from.

http://www.dougbarber.com/People_Pho...s/outlaws.html

Old 05-20-2008, 08:21 PM
ranger56528
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wish I could remember the 70's ...However got my 1st HD in Sept of78 that I remember and Easyride was the Mag...
Ifeel it all started to change in 90-92 to what it is now from my riding experiance..

Old 05-20-2008, 08:29 PM
Old Bones
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

35 to 40 years ago you didn't walk into a stealer and buy a new HD, you put a deposit down and waited your turn for a bike to come in. Or for what it cost for a good set of hard saddle bags now a days, you could build a cool bike.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:17 PM
Dickf5187
Cruiser

I've been riding regularly since the mid 60's. In the 60's and 70's Harleys were not very common. Quality left a lot to be desired so most people didn't want the aggravation. Suzuki and Yahama were producing mostly two stroke bikes while Honda pushed four stroke bikes. However by the mid seventies all of the Japanese mfgs. were phasing out two stroke engines due to pollution issues.

BSA, Norton andTriumph were prettypopular choices in the 60's but when Honda released the CB750 in the early 70's they hit a home run. Faster and absolutely more reliable (and no oil leaks!) than the Brits or HD.Honda sales took off while the others lost market share.

I would say that Honda was the key to bringing motorcycles to mainstream America. It became acceptable for the average guy to ride a motorcycle. Prior to that, anybody on anything larger than a Cushman was to be avoided at all cost... thebad element.

Most guys putted around in jeans and windbreakers. Cars didn't see us (daytime headlights were not mandatory) and it was challenging great fun. The big options were exhaust (sound familiar?) and backrest with luggage rack.

Do you all remember when the Japanese motorcycle were such a threat to a struggling HD that our government slapped a big tariff on import bikes 750cc and larger. If I remember all the big Japanese bikes were listed at 749cc in most product brochures. Then in the late 90's and early 2000's, Harley slapped a tariff on us the buyers... time have a way of changing.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:55 AM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm 30 years ago makes it about 1978. The AMF years...........Harleys were not popular and either were their riders. I was a spry lad of about 22, in the service of the US Army stationed at Ft why me (Riley), Kansas and 2 wheels was allsI owned. I was a lonerand rode every where by myselfor with a sig other of the moment.

I really liked the sportster tank paint jobs back then asthey were kind of like art deco. The Suzuki's, Kawasakis' and Honda's were the popular bikes. It seemed like only Outlaws or Police had Harleys.

Wasn't 1980 or 1981 the year Reagan did that tariff thing someone mentioned. HD really made a great push then and have never looked back. It only been upward and onward since then. Buying the company back from AMF. The EVO motor.

Iowned a 1972 Yamaha 650,used (red like this photo):

http://www.motosolvang.com/images_ne...a_XS650%20.jpg

then a 1979 Suzuki GS750L,new (mine was purple):

http://www.suzukicycles.org/photos/v...lue_450jpg.jpg

I bought my first HD new, 1981 XLS Roadster, 2 tone silver), it was different then the other XL's of that time in that it had a superglide gas tank w/ 3.2 or 3.6 gallons and was geared to be a "touring" sportster. Up to that point my exposure was as a youngster attending Laconia and other "scramble"race locations during the early thru late 60's with my father/mother/brothers/sisters. My father raced and won quiet frequently. I think at first he rode a ducati and really loved that bike. Back then you camped along side of the road, where ever you could find a spot. The hill climbs were held at Gunstock ski resort. It was a freaken blast. I was 7-11/12 yoand we kids were allowed to run loose until supper and/or when luch was served if we were hungry. I recently inherited my fathers 8mm footage of those days. Reviewing them I seen old triple engine triumphs running down a racing strip somewhere's in Laconia. Improtu race off's? And just lots of old iron and people from back in the day having a merry old time. It was neat to see groups of people in their Harley social group colors. Those thurston howell the 3rd yachtcaps seem to be quiet popular back then. I don't think they are worn much today. I haven't seen any around.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:45 AM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't start riding until '83 so just 25 years. What I haven't noticed here is any mention of the single biggest differance between now and then. That's the corporate juggernaut rolling down the highway stamping out cookie cutter establishments all along the way. I went out for a ride today down through the country into Lenior City here. I wish I had of had a camera for the view across the interstate. They must have had one of every nationwide anything. Easily a 100 or more places.

No matter where you go there you are. Look at the questions you see on this forum. I'm going to such and such place, where should I stay? People aren't asking where isn't infested with roachs, where they won't be eaten alive while sleeping, where the plumbing works and the sheets are changed. They aren't asking where to stay along the way getting there. Rather it's where's good relative to the sights to see or security for their bike. They don't ask where to stop to eat breakfast, lunch and dineron a 1000 mile trip over two days, but, rather, just a diner while they are there. You don't even ask where to get gas. That's a pointless question.

I think that's one of the easiest things to miss. It's easy to dismiss it as just so much urban blight even as you stop at the McDonald's for a cup of coffee to shake off the cold. Touring as people do now though is absolutely dependant upon it. Take all that away and replace it with just a bunch of little local joints and most would feel far less confident setting out for a day trip.