General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, It happened...Put er' down yesterday.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 06:19 PM
RjCapp
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Well, It happened...Put er' down yesterday.

Happy to hear you are OK.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:20 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: maxdoubt

...Her company (Nationwide)...

...Here's my question: has anyone here had an accident like this and did the ins. co. treat you good or try to jerk you around? My main concern is getting my bike back as good as it was before and in a reasonable amount of time. Thanks in advance for all your input.
I delt with the a similar situation, except I was in my car. Another vehicle ran a red light (red left-turn arrows) and turned left infront of my vehicle as I went straight through the intersection. I had a witness who saw the entire thing that was kind enough to provide a statement to the police... so determining fault was easy. The man's company was Nationwide.

If Nationwide behaves for your accident as they did for mine, your biggest wait will involve getting your dealer to get the work done and the bike back to you. Nationwide had an adjuster out to me ASAP.

Hope things turn out well for you. I hate coming up on cars waiting to turn left... sometimes I pucker so tight I almost pull the leather off my seat.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:12 PM
steelhorse 1971
Tourer

Watch them closely.A women(cops girfriend)hit my bosses wife after leaving 237ft of skid marks and totaled her 3 month old lexus suv.Estimated speed was 76 at inpact in a 45 zone(she didnt even get a ticket for speeding)anyway the ins company wanted to take 10 off the price of a new one.Her car only had 2000 miles on it.last I heard she was still fighting it.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:32 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

who knows

Old 05-27-2008, 08:50 PM
Novice
Tourer

glad your ok i haven't heard of anyone dealing with insurance companies that everything went smoothly

Old 05-27-2008, 08:59 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad you walked away, the bike can be fixed.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:13 PM
1tuffceo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Max,

First off, glad to hear that you're ok. I am a full time Nationwide Insurance Agent here in West Virginia, and in my experience with claims we are top notch.

If you have any problems you should contact the adjuster's manager. Our adjusters get slammed from time to time, but you can nearly always contact a manager because they do not work in the field all that often. You may also consider contacting the girl's Nationwide Agent. If they are a good agent they will do everything they can to help you get this claim closed. If you have any trouble making contact with your adjuster or manager PM me and I may be able to point you in the right direction.

Again, no promises, but I can certainly get some contacts for you that may not otherwise be available.

Good Luck,

Ben

Old 05-27-2008, 09:13 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ogkillah

the biggest problem you may have with the ins. co is that they can allege that because there was no contact between the vehicles, the accident is your fault, and your ins. co is responsible. as long as you have eye witnesses or a police report showing her at fault, you should have no problems. go through her ins. co directly, do not put the claim through yours. as far as them paying for all of the expenses, you shouldn't have any issues as long as they acknowledge fault.

been there a couple of times w/ car and bike, and it's not fun to argue with them...
Very True,

In my case, the azzhole husband told the wife to say nothing else, (after she told the Police it was her fault in not looking).

Her Ins. Agency told my Ins. Claims Adjuster that the agency was not going to file anything with the woman's insurance company as I did not run into the woman's car!!!!!

At that point I retained a Lawyer. Two years later I settled prior to going to court. The woman's insurance company paid for every scratch on my bike, and part of the settlement netted me a nice Road Glide to soothe my anger. The SuperGlide involved is sitting pretty in my garage also.

Talk to a lawyer.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:07 AM
BROWNDOG
Cruiser

If you have problems, a lawyer may not be necessary. I threatened my own insurance company by telling them I was going to call the state's insurance adjuster/commisioner and they immediately became a LOT more helpful. They don't want anyone investigating them!

Old 05-28-2008, 12:24 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Be sure to get some medical attention for your injuries to document them. That knee will scare the crap out of the ins co if they're afraid of disability.

I'm not saying cheat anyone, of course. Your knee can have a miraculous recovery right after they pay up for the bike and the truly needed medical.

Imho ins cos are a lot more afraid of injuries than they are of fixing a bike. It's just a way of having some power.

Good luck, glad you're OK.

Quick Reply: Well, It happened...Put er' down yesterday.