General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley reliability vs Honda rant...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 09:46 PM
UncleDon
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Harley reliability vs Honda rant...

ORIGINAL: mnvikingsfan

Well just got off the phone with my brother who is pissed off. We rode Honda's for years and back in '06 we switched to HD RK's. I am talking we rode those Honda's hard-everything from dirt bikes to CBR 600's. to CBR 900's (still own one actually) and other than general maintenance the only EVER mechanical problem we ever had between all of those bikes was a broken chain (too many wheelies are very hard on your chain I found out one day!)...anyway, so far since October of '06, hes had the transmission (1200 or so)blow on him (no, he babies this RK so he did not beat on the engine) he had another issue that now slips my mind but was around 500 to fix, and now his spokes got loose the other day and he needs to another whole wheel he's told(500 more) plus he needs the 20k maintenance (another 500 I believe roughly) so this HD isclearly nickel and diming him. Granted the 20k maintenance doesn't really count but that still leaves around 2500 in actual repair work I believe in under 2 years. I can tell you all between the dirt bikes (roughly 8 bikes between us both over the years) and street bike Honda's we owned, if you added up ALL of the repair costs AND Maintenance on them you don't even approach 2500 that the HD is sucking up. Now he's thinking about getting a Wing if he has any more issues. There's only so much a guy can do, and I understand how pi$$ed off he is right now...so far, knock on wood I haven't had a single non-maintenance issue with mine. Anyway, hopefully no more problems but boy, this latest problem ruined our riding plans for this past weekend and it was perfect weather. Just sucks.

That said, no one can tell me with any sense of honesty, that HD's are anywhere close to the Jap bikes as far as reliability goes....I'm just not gonna buy it.

I sense I will get flamed for this but so be it....I know the posts of "I've never had a problem in 50k miles" are about to be coming at me hardcore but just from what I have seen, I think the Honda is clearly, from a reliability standpoint, a far superior machine....

And no, I'm not a freaking TROLL!!!!
just think if you were a smart man and took it to INDY,,,,,,,why the stealer?

Old 05-27-2008, 09:51 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Like already said,

Go buy a honda..who cares

Old 05-27-2008, 09:52 PM
CrzyKat
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had three goldwings before I bought my 08 Ultra. The last GW I bought new in 06...it was in the shop a total of 6 weeks in 12 months! Sold it and swore I'd never walk into another Honda shop. I have nothing but praise for the HD.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Moonrunner
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't had a problem in 29k! I'll let ya know about the 50k after this summer. I bought the 3 year service plan from the dealer for $1500. He changes oil every 2500 and does all the service work (1k, 5k, 10k, 20k......)and provides all the oil, filter, gaskets, etc in the deal. Preferred service that way, which means no appointment necessary, if I don't have time. Drop it of in the morning, always done by lunch if I want. 29,000 miles so far and we're still goodthrough Sep 08. I believe I'll get my money's worth by then. Wait til you pay for the 6 hours labor for the Wing air filter change, valve adj, etc. Harley labor = $75/hrbut Honda Labor $95/hr here in MT. Oh, Honda don't provide a washer without charging 3 bucks and ya better schedule it a month out to leave with them for 3 days too. I like the Vikings too at least this day I did:

Old 05-27-2008, 10:00 PM
mnvikingsfan
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 55Bubba

So if you hate the HD and the Honda is soooooo much beter, trade yours for an old wing. I don't care if it isn't as technologically good nor as reliable I am not riding rice. Course if you have no problems with yours, his just possibly might be a lemon. It happens, even in hondas I'm sure. Bottom line, it's your bike and your choice, ride what you want to but painting all Harleys with the crap brush is ..well just crap. Mine has 144k miles and I haven't spent nearly what he has other than maintenance since 1995.

Your money, your choice.... then next move is yours. I'm betting you'll be ridng one of those heartless plastic wonders before years end.

Bubba
What I said Bubba, was I have a hard time believing the HD is as reliable as the Honda from what I have witnessed. I never said "I want to sell my HD". I was simply pointing out the issues that my brother has experienced with his. I'm also curious to hear what other folks have to say as well about it.

Right now, I have no intentions of selling my HD just because my brother is having some isssues with his. For you guys telling me "due us a favor or do yourself a favor and get the Goldwing" you sound like little girls. I have as much desire to sell my HD as I do to lose more hairor gain more weight....no thanks. Just pointing out some facts that I have witnessed first hand...

Old 05-27-2008, 10:01 PM
mnvikingsfan
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: eleutheros

I've had more Honda's than anything else over the years (all because I was cheap). Of the 9 the last two are Harleys; they're the best by far.
Okay, that is awesome to hear! That is the type of feedback I wanted to hear! Thanks!

Old 05-27-2008, 10:02 PM
mnvikingsfan
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: hardhead

My buddy's 06 vtx 1300 has had his clutch lever fall off and speedoworks-sometimes. Other than that it's a great bike. Also he's put about $6,000 in upgrades to get it to the level of my heritage when it was stock. Still thats nothing compared to your brothers troubles. I wouldn't blame him for going back to jap bikes. Hell, originally I wanted a vtx1800. My question is why were none of his issues covered under the 2 year warranty?
It was not covered due to it was an '03 model. The warranty was expired unfortunately...[:@]

Old 05-27-2008, 10:05 PM
mnvikingsfan
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Moonrunner

I haven't had a problem in 29k! I'll let ya know about the 50k after this summer. I bought the 3 year service plan from the dealer for $1500. He changes oil every 2500 and does all the service work (1k, 5k, 10k, 20k......)and provides all the oil, filter, gaskets, etc in the deal. Preferred service that way, which means no appointment necessary, if I don't have time. Drop it of in the morning, always done by lunch if I want. 29,000 miles so far and we're still goodthrough Sep 08. I believe I'll get my money's worth by then. Wait til you pay for the 6 hours labor for the Wing air filter change, valve adj, etc. Harley labor = $75/hrbut Honda Labor $95/hr here in MT. Oh, Honda don't provide a washer without charging 3 bucks and ya better schedule it a month out to leave with them for 3 days too. I like the Vikings too at least this day I did:
Thanks for the feedback. Plus, great picture too!!

Old 05-27-2008, 10:05 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Lopoetve

um.

his should be under warranty still. why arent' they replacing the tranny/other things under that?

this sounds fishy.
+1- A blown tranny should be covered, no question. What happens when a tranny blows anyway? Have never heard of a Harley trans failing, unless it was total abuse.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:06 PM
atomic
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: mnvikingsfan

ORIGINAL: 55Bubba

So if you hate the HD and the Honda is soooooo much beter, trade yours for an old wing. I don't care if it isn't as technologically good nor as reliable I am not riding rice. Course if you have no problems with yours, his just possibly might be a lemon. It happens, even in hondas I'm sure. Bottom line, it's your bike and your choice, ride what you want to but painting all Harleys with the crap brush is ..well just crap. Mine has 144k miles and I haven't spent nearly what he has other than maintenance since 1995.

Your money, your choice.... then next move is yours. I'm betting you'll be ridng one of those heartless plastic wonders before years end.

Bubba
What I said Bubba, was I have a hard time believing the HD is as reliable as the Honda from what I have witnessed. I never said "I want to sell my HD". I was simply pointing out the issues that my brother has experienced with his. I'm also curious to hear what other folks have to say as well about it.

Right now, I have no intentions of selling my HD just because my brother is having some isssues with his. For you guys telling me "due us a favor or do yourself a favor and get the Goldwing" you sound like little girls. I have as much desire to sell my HD as I do to lose more hairor gain more weight....no thanks. Just pointing out some facts that I have witnessed first hand...

You said

"I sense I will get flamed for this but so be it....I know the posts of "I've never had a problem in 50k miles" are about to be coming at me hardcore but just from what I have seen, I think the Honda is clearly, from a reliability standpoint, a far superior machine....
"

You were already disregarding people who had no problems with their bikes before even getting a reply. Now you are calling us little girls.

You have seen two bikes one had problem one hasn't. I am sure there are plenty of Honda's with serious problems. From the amount of people on here who have Harleys and the few number that have problems with them I believe Harley makes one of the most reliable bikes on the road. My Ducati left me stranded on the side of the road with 500 miles on it. I didn't bitch about it and say every Ducati was worthless and I should have only bought Harleys.

Quick Reply: Harley reliability vs Honda rant...