Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Charity Events Feeling the Pinch (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/243015-charity-events-feeling-the-pinch.html)

Pine Tree 06-07-2008 06:11 AM

Charity Events Feeling the Pinch

I've noticed several charity ride events are not holding rides this year.

I often visit the site LetsRide.com and don't see many of the past rides scheduled for 2008.

Atlanta just held its annual Ride for Kids event and reported one of the lowest turnouts in many years.

Seems economic conditions are taking their toll on many more sectors of our society.

Dennydp 06-07-2008 09:17 AM

RE: Charity Events Feeling the Pinch

Economy and gas prices hurt charities big time.Got to care for your own first.Hopefully those that can will help a little more.Sturgis will probably be way down this year but local stuff should pick up a little.

thrillseeker 06-07-2008 10:10 AM

I had some sponsors back out this year for the event I organize, but I had others step up to the plate... so I am ending up about the same as last year for corporate sponsorship.
&nbsp\\;
I won't know until August if ridership is down or not.&nbsp\\; Now that this has come up, I will be interested to see how it goes.&nbsp\\;

1200babe 06-07-2008 10:14 AM

Many of our local rides charge&nbsp\\;from 25-&nbsp\\;to 50.00 per rider- for my family spending$ 50.- 100.00 to ride in an event- no matter what charity- &nbsp\\;is simply not affordable. If they dropped the charges to say 10 per rider we would still be able to participate. Its not that we dont want to- we Cannot do it right now.

snakeinthegrass 06-07-2008 11:39 AM

Just canceled my reservations to Sturgis this year.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Not what I wanted to do but by the time August comes around gas prices will be intolerable and if the&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;price of gas does&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;go down, I will go to Sturgis and take my chances for finding accommodations.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Decided that it will be much cheaper to attend events in my local and surrounding area.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; We have a few charitable events within reasonable distance of NW Louisiana that&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; are doable and at a reasonable cost.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I agree with the statement above about the entry fee of attending charitable events needs to come down.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; The writing is on the wall IMHO.

LAMing 06-07-2008 03:49 PM

&nbsp\\;
We've done the same: Cancelled long-distance 2 week vacation plans (in our cage). Instead, we're going to take mini-vacations each month and tour regionally using our HD.&nbsp\\; We don't plan to make any "special" bike events... just enjoy the mountains and small towns.
&nbsp\\;
Yup, the gas crunch is affecting many areas of life.
&nbsp\\;
Andre Ming
Eastern OK

sleepman54 06-07-2008 04:22 PM

Hadn't really thought about the gas prices and charity events. I guess things really are bad when you can get a biker to not attend an event. I know that when planning our annual cruise that Carnival is charging $7 per day fuel surcharge to each passenger.