General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charity Events Feeling the Pinch

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 06:11 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts
Default Charity Events Feeling the Pinch

I've noticed several charity ride events are not holding rides this year.

I often visit the site LetsRide.com and don't see many of the past rides scheduled for 2008.

Atlanta just held its annual Ride for Kids event and reported one of the lowest turnouts in many years.

Seems economic conditions are taking their toll on many more sectors of our society.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:17 AM
Dennydp
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Charity Events Feeling the Pinch

Economy and gas prices hurt charities big time.Got to care for your own first.Hopefully those that can will help a little more.Sturgis will probably be way down this year but local stuff should pick up a little.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:10 AM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had some sponsors back out this year for the event I organize, but I had others step up to the plate... so I am ending up about the same as last year for corporate sponsorship.
&nbsp\\;
I won't know until August if ridership is down or not.&nbsp\\; Now that this has come up, I will be interested to see how it goes.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-07-2008, 10:14 AM
1200babe
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many of our local rides charge&nbsp\\;from 25-&nbsp\\;to 50.00 per rider- for my family spending$ 50.- 100.00 to ride in an event- no matter what charity- &nbsp\\;is simply not affordable. If they dropped the charges to say 10 per rider we would still be able to participate. Its not that we dont want to- we Cannot do it right now.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:39 AM
snakeinthegrass
Road Master

Just canceled my reservations to Sturgis this year.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Not what I wanted to do but by the time August comes around gas prices will be intolerable and if the&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;price of gas does&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;go down, I will go to Sturgis and take my chances for finding accommodations.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Decided that it will be much cheaper to attend events in my local and surrounding area.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; We have a few charitable events within reasonable distance of NW Louisiana that&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; are doable and at a reasonable cost.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I agree with the statement above about the entry fee of attending charitable events needs to come down.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; The writing is on the wall IMHO.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:49 PM
LAMing
Road Master

&nbsp\\;
We've done the same: Cancelled long-distance 2 week vacation plans (in our cage). Instead, we're going to take mini-vacations each month and tour regionally using our HD.&nbsp\\; We don't plan to make any "special" bike events... just enjoy the mountains and small towns.
&nbsp\\;
Yup, the gas crunch is affecting many areas of life.
&nbsp\\;
Andre Ming
Eastern OK

Old 06-07-2008, 04:22 PM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hadn't really thought about the gas prices and charity events. I guess things really are bad when you can get a biker to not attend an event. I know that when planning our annual cruise that Carnival is charging $7 per day fuel surcharge to each passenger.