Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Stealing your stuff or even whole bike!?!?! (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/246307-stealing-your-stuff-or-even-whole-bike.html)

Harley_Dude 06-18-2008 04:42 PM

RE: Stealing your stuff or even whole bike!?!?!

ORIGINAL: 07deluxe

I heard if you get a bike cover that says Honda on it they wont "F." with your bike. :D
In all reality if someone wants your bike they will have it. Get yourself some good insurance so you will have a better piece of mind. Its all replaceable. Use some common sense on the stuff that can be taken off like bags and quick release stuff, out of site is out of mind.

+1 INSURANCE - If they want it they'll have it.

oldairboater 06-18-2008 04:53 PM

Bikes always frame chained with a Cobra links system. Locked and alarmed. Sleeps in the room with me or I sleep with it. Someone always sleeps with the bikes. We eat watching the bikes. We crap with the door open if thats what it takes to watch the bikes. Never had a problem so far but I have a 45 Ruger that is locked and loaded and she&nbsp\\;says we will at least go for a tie if not a win. Bike can always be stolen but it will always be easier to take someone else's. Never had a problem with someone wanting to steal our stuff either. Wonder why?

Tinkermc 06-18-2008 05:03 PM

I have a plain cover and good insurance, if they steal it I get a new scoot, no big deal, keep current photos

ga.mason 06-18-2008 06:35 PM

You can't prevent it. Pay your insurance and forget about it. If your still worried stay at home, you won't enjoy your trip if you spend your time worried about what MAY happen.

jca_54 06-18-2008 06:55 PM

When there are large biker rallies, thieves will case hotels/motels on the incoming/outgoing freeways looking for expensive truck/bike-trailer combo's. All they have to do is&nbsp\\;steal the truck and&nbsp\\;they've got everything.&nbsp\\;

Cactus_FTW 06-18-2008 07:20 PM

In "82" someone lifted my "62" ....I still remember the feeling to this day.&nbsp\\; If you have your blood / sweat / tears into it, I don't care how much insurance you have, it'll eat at you for a long time.&nbsp\\; Just my $.02 ...

Tralfaz 06-18-2008 07:35 PM

I've gone on a few road trips with a few nights at camp sites, and more nights at hotels.&nbsp\\; I have detachable saddle bags and top case, plus locks on all of them.&nbsp\\; If I'm at a hotel, I bring them all in for the night.&nbsp\\; If I'm camping I just lock them all down.&nbsp\\; I will admit that all of these trips were made to places at a time when no particular motorcycle events were going on.&nbsp\\; My motorcycle does have the factory security system that requires the key fob to be present to start the motorcycle, but aside from that I've not taken any other security precautions (though my cover is also not HD branded).

I'll admit to being a little nervous about theft, but at the same time aside from having decent insurance I don't want to sweat it too much and just want to enjoy the trips.&nbsp\\; I'm thinking about getting lojack put in at some point, though.&nbsp\\;

bobcowan 06-18-2008 08:11 PM

Heavy duty cable and chain locks are a must.&nbsp\\; Lock the bike to something.&nbsp\\; A bike that's only locked to itself can easily be stolen.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Anything loose or easy to remove (like removable saddlebags) should be removed.&nbsp\\; Even windshields and "convertable" stuff.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
For sissy bar luggage, I bought a steel mesh back with a lock on it from a back packing store.&nbsp\\; It's designed to hold a back pack so you can lock it to a park bench or something.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

pappashelby 06-18-2008 08:13 PM

Good insurance and lock it up. Went on a 11k mile trip last year and 7k miles this year and didn't stay in the best of motels sometimes. Haven't had any problems.(knock on wood)

sealbeachbum 06-18-2008 08:20 PM

This is my security system....
&nbsp\\;
http://williamacarr.smugmug.com/phot...58_wu5Rj-M.jpg