General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RH Turn at red light??? in BC and Alberta

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 09:04 PM
Jeff Brokenshire
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RH Turn at red light??? in BC and Alberta

I am leaving for a 3 week trip on Saturday, riding through British Columbia and Alberta, Canada. I have been told you can do a right hand turn at red lights???
&nbsp\\;
Is this true, and if so what sort of sign/road marking is there to let me know this is legal.
&nbsp\\;
Many Thanks
&nbsp\\;
Jeff

Old 07-09-2008, 09:29 PM
lanny
Cruiser
Default RE: RH Turn at red light??? in BC and Alberta

Hi, I live in Quebec and here you are allowed to turn right on a red light except Montreal. If I am not mistaken you do have the right to turn on red lights (right side only) in Alberta. Here is a web page for laws in Alberta:

http://www.edmontonpolice.ca/Traffic...dLightFAQ.aspx

You HAVE TO make a complete stop before turning. Most of our provinces you do have the right to turn. Here in Montreal they dont allow it cause we drive like idiots...so they say...the problem here is that the people that cross the streets dont care and wont let the car go by even if its the car that has the right...they just cross so for no one to get hurt the opt for Montreal drivers NOT to turn on red lights....but off the island you can. (Montreal is an island)...anyhooooo

hope that webpage answers your question. Its a police website of Alberta

Enjoy Alberta cause its VERY beautiful and BC is even NICER!!!! Cant get any better than riding your bike in the Rockies...

Old 07-09-2008, 09:34 PM
Yokel99
Cruiser

Unless marked on the lights at the intersection (very rare), right turns on red are legal.&nbsp\\; There are intersections in the city centres that allow left turns onto 1 way streets as well.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:36 PM
gwalsh
Advanced

Here in Ontario you can after making a complete stop.&nbsp\\; There are a few around me that have signs that state no right on red.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Jeff Brokenshire
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: lanny

Hi, I live in Quebec and here you are allowed to turn right on a red light except Montreal. If I am not mistaken you do have the right to turn on red lights (right side only) in Alberta. Here is a web page for laws in Alberta:

http://www.edmontonpolice.ca/Traffic...dLightFAQ.aspx

You HAVE TO make a complete stop before turning. Most of our provinces you do have the right to turn. Here in Montreal they dont allow it cause we drive like idiots...so they say...the problem here is that the people that cross the streets dont care and wont let the car go by even if its the car that has the right...they just cross so for no one to get hurt the opt for Montreal drivers NOT to turn on red lights....but off the island you can. (Montreal is an island)...anyhooooo

hope that webpage answers your question. Its a police website of Alberta

Enjoy Alberta cause its VERY beautiful and BC is even NICER!!!! Cant get any better than riding your bike in the Rockies...
&nbsp\\;
Thanks for that. Having never ridden "on the other side" of the road I am grateful for your info. I will certainly come to a stop and maybe if I am supposed to turn right maybe a kind and polite Canadian behind me will give me a toot. Major&nbsp\\;places we are going to are Vancouver &amp\\;&nbsp\\;Calgary. In places like Jasper, Prince George and Vancouver Island will that law apply as well?
&nbsp\\;
Thanks to all
&nbsp\\;
Jeff

Old 07-09-2008, 10:07 PM
lanny
Cruiser

Well your going to some beautiful places...You've picked all the right places to visit..if your in calgary next week try to go to the Calgary Stampede
http://cs.calgarystampede.com/

and Jasper, vancouver island is even nicer...Vancouver island is like England in UK but of course sunny..lol..but it does rain on the island cause its like in a valley...also pitt stop in Banff, Whistler

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/index.htm

and maybe next summer you can come on the east side of canada...
Ontairo with Niagara Falls and Niagara on the Lakes
Quebec City..oldest city in Canada 400yrs old very much like Europe...beautiful
and of course Montreal...we are known for the Party City of Canada..we have The Jazz Festival, Just for Laughs, Cirque du soleil..Best smoke meat in the world, Best Bagels in the World and i am serious when I say best in the world cause we always come first and even beat NY's bagels...&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; then we have Downtown Montreal..most beautiful women in the world too...hmmmm has to be all the cultures here...great food...

then you have the Atlantic Canada Maritimes...very nice...great fishing, beautiful coast, very europeen...nice...

well enjoy canada and have fun...you will love it
PS..gas is expensive comparing to US... [&o]

Old 07-09-2008, 10:24 PM
Jeff Brokenshire
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: lanny

Well your going to some beautiful places...You've picked all the right places to visit..if your in calgary next week try to go to the Calgary Stampede
http://cs.calgarystampede.com/

and Jasper, vancouver island is even nicer...Vancouver island is like England in UK but of course sunny..lol..but it does rain on the island cause its like in a valley...also pitt stop in Banff, Whistler

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/index.htm

and maybe next summer you can come on the east side of canada...
Ontairo with Niagara Falls and Niagara on the Lakes
Quebec City..oldest city in Canada 400yrs old very much like Europe...beautiful
and of course Montreal...we are known for the Party City of Canada..we have The Jazz Festival, Just for Laughs, Cirque du soleil..Best smoke meat in the world, Best Bagels in the World and i am serious when I say best in the world cause we always come first and even beat NY's bagels...&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; then we have Downtown Montreal..most beautiful women in the world too...hmmmm has to be all the cultures here...great food...

then you have the Atlantic Canada Maritimes...very nice...great fishing, beautiful coast, very europeen...nice...

well enjoy canada and have fun...you will love it
PS..gas is expensive comparing to US... [&o]

Thanks Lanny. Our route gives us 4 days in Banff ,3 days in Calgary, 3 nights in&nbsp\\;Jasper,2 nights in Prince George&nbsp\\;- Williams Lake&nbsp\\;- Whistler&nbsp\\;and 3 nights&nbsp\\;in Vancouver Island. Should do approx 4500 kmls over 3 weeks, staying mostly in B&amp\\;B's. Sure we will have a great time
Jeff

Old 07-09-2008, 11:35 PM
2Wheels Engine or no
Intermediate

Glad you here you're coming to check out Western Canada Jeff.&nbsp\\; Right hand turns are allowed on reds in AB and BC unless otherwise posted.&nbsp\\; Just come to&nbsp\\;a complete stop first and proceed when clear.&nbsp\\; You'll catch on to it quick....or after a few polite honks from behind.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Some ride recommendations for the Rockies.....take Hwy 1A rather than Hwy1 from Calgary to Banff, take the Bow Valley Parkway from Banff to Lake Louise rather than Hwy1, make sure to ride up to the Chateau Lake Louise on your way thru.&nbsp\\; Make a stop 35km north of Lake Louise on Hwy93&nbsp\\;(Ice Fields Parkway)&nbsp\\;at Bow Lake/Num-Ti-Jah Lodge (I acutally proposed there on the summit of Mount Jimmy Simpson last weekend).&nbsp\\; The Columbia Icefields (Largest non-coastal icefields in North America)&nbsp\\;100km south of Jasper on Hwy93 is cool to check out.&nbsp\\; When in Jasper make sure to take a ride to the Miette Hotsprings\\; great 17km twisty ride to natural hotspring pools).&nbsp\\; The ride up to Pyramid Lake, Marmot Basin ski area, Maligne Canyon/Lake and Mount Edith Cavell are great rides as well.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Let me know if you are looking to see anything else in the Rockies, I tend to spend most of my weekends climbing/hiking/skiing there.
&nbsp\\;
Enjoy the trip.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:52 PM
mjsawatzky
Road Captain

I live in Calgary, Alberta. If you've never been to western Canada before you're in for a real treat. Bring a camera and take your time. Ride Safe!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/63736/00296BC82A2A4E73B5A72AB2C9AF701A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-10-2008, 12:46 AM
Jeff Brokenshire
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: 2Wheels Engine or no

Glad you here you're coming to check out Western Canada Jeff.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Right hand turns are allowed on reds in AB and BC unless otherwise posted.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Just come to&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;a complete stop first and proceed when clear.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; You'll catch on to it quick....or after a few polite honks from behind.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Some ride recommendations for the Rockies.....take Hwy 1A rather than Hwy1 from Calgary to Banff, take the Bow Valley Parkway from Banff to Lake Louise rather than Hwy1, make sure to ride up to the Chateau Lake Louise on your way thru.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Make a stop 35km north of Lake Louise on Hwy93&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;(Ice Fields Parkway)&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;at Bow Lake/Num-Ti-Jah Lodge (I acutally proposed there on the summit of Mount Jimmy Simpson last weekend).&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; The Columbia Icefields (Largest non-coastal icefields in North America)&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;100km south of Jasper on Hwy93 is cool to check out.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; When in Jasper make sure to take a ride to the Miette Hotsprings\\\\\\; great 17km twisty ride to natural hotspring pools).&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; The ride up to Pyramid Lake, Marmot Basin ski area, Maligne Canyon/Lake and Mount Edith Cavell are great rides as well.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Let me know if you are looking to see anything else in the Rockies, I tend to spend most of my weekends climbing/hiking/skiing there.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Enjoy the trip.
&nbsp\\;
Thankyou. I have all the preset legs loaded into my Zumo 550, but it is very flexible. We start in Vancouver then Kamloops - Revelstoke - Banff - Calgary - Nordegg - Jasper - Prince George - William Lake - Hope - Vancouver Island - Whistler - Vancouver. My wife has a spinal illness so I had to plan the routes carefully. If she complains, well you do have hungry bears. I have printed out your suggestions, and appreciate your local knowledge.
Go Well
Jeff

Quick Reply: RH Turn at red light??? in BC and Alberta