General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

road king or fat boy that is the question?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 06:07 PM
swirvin1234
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default road king or fat boy that is the question?!?

I figured the general section is neutral, so I ask which is the better bike. I am in the market for a new scoot, and have had my heart set on a fatboy. I went to the local stealership this weekend and the road king standard caught my eye. I am 5'8" 170 and the fit was really good. I am looking for some advice in which would be a better all around bike. I don't plan to do much long distance riding, mostly around town. I am looking for a bike that is nimble around town but also very comfortable 1 up and 2 up (80% 1up/20% 2up).&nbsp\\; I recently had neck surgery (fusion) and don't want something that will be hard on the body. The fatboy fit what I was looking for, until I saw the road king with the windshield off. To me both are very excellent looking bikes, but which one? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

Old 07-14-2008, 06:12 PM
jbnl163
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: road king or fat boy that is the question?!?

The Road King is great for long distance, but also fun around town. The Fat Boy may be easier for around town as it is lighter. The RK will definitely treat your neck better. IMHO.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:14 PM
drfeelgood
Outstanding HDF Member

If the majority of your riding is around town go with the Fat Boy.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:23 PM
swirvin1234
Advanced

I have been waiting to see the changes to the 09's as well to see if they will offer abs on the fatboy's (good selling point to me). As this is an option on the RK in 08. Financially, I would probably fair better buying an 08 RK vs 09 fatboy.&nbsp\\; Too many decision, I wish I could afford them both... Keep the advice coming, it truly helps, and thanks!

Old 07-14-2008, 06:54 PM
Suzy Q
Novice

My husband's first bike was a Fat Boy, but since he traded up to his Road King, he's been much happier. A much more comfortable ride and he used to get a sore back after riding for more than about an hour on the Fat Boy.

You might also want to think of storage - you can add bags to a Fat Boy, but the Road King comes with the storage option already there. I love the hub's saddlebags on the King - means I don't have to put them on my Deluxe and she can stay nice and sleek.

Good luck whatever you decide!

Old 07-14-2008, 07:04 PM
NERider
Advanced

I had an '03 Fat Boy and traded up to an '06 Road King. Although I really liked the look of the FB you can't beat the King in terms of comfort...especially for a bad back. The RK takes the rogh roads alot better especially riding 2 up. Go with the King, you'll be happy you did. It is so much more versatile with the detachable windshield and bags. That's why they call it the King.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

[IMG]local://upfiles/36639/C8BCEC900DE34FD885A463744B9C3F3F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-14-2008, 07:15 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Frequently, folks trade up to a Road King from a Fatboy. Normally they love it and very rarely will you ever see anyone go back to a Fatboy from a Road King.
Just sayin'.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:38 PM
FEAR
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its good to be the king!!

Old 07-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is two totally different platforms, apples and oranges. If your chief concern is comfort then a Road King would be good. Fatboys are a lot of fun, not bad for 2 up, my wife loves ours. I would suggest riding both, that will tell the story. Good luck!

Old 07-14-2008, 08:03 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

As I read your post I first was going to say go with the Fatboy because you said that you have had your heart set on a Fatboy and I believe one should always go with your heart when it comes to bikes. That will save you money over the long haul. But, as I read further it seems that you like the RK maybe as much. If so, go with the king.

Quick Reply: road king or fat boy that is the question?!?