General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scared And Butterflies

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 07:54 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just keep my mouth closed, it keeps the butterflies, June bugs, skeeters and other unwanted pests out of the digestive tract.

Keep the butterflies. Adds to the ride. Once the butterflies leave, the only thing left to do for excitement, is to play dodge'em with crack/potholes in the road, swerve back and forth to practice high speed avoidance, or stare blankly at the gray ribbon.
42 yrs(road riding) this year, the only time I get them, when I know I HAVE to ride into the Cities for an event. Ppl drive like idiots. I think, at that point, it is called 'anxiety' tho, not butterflies.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:01 AM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

i get the BFs every time. to lessor or greater degrees, depending on the day. then while i am riding i often get the "oh my god" feeling as i realize that i just avoided a bad situation. or the "oh ****" when i totally misread something that could have been real bad, but use it to learn.

some of the BFs is fear and respect and some is the excitment.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:37 AM
Lt James
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by confederate
Stay alert at all times. Be comfortable where you are riding. Don't focus on fear. Have a positive mindset about riding. No your limitations. Ride safe. It will become more enjoyable when you can overcome these obstacles.
Great advice.

They will go away, and you'll just be able to think about riding... but just keep your head on a swivel. Never stop looking around you.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:54 AM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 7,713 Likes on 4,091 Posts

A couple of things maybe: Go to an empty parking lot on a Sunday morning and do all sorts of situational maneuvering. And another, I force myself to get antsy about cages and stay aware that they really want to kill me... after awhile the butterflies turned to alertness.

Bossman1
Outstanding HDF Member

It will (or should) turn to respect, never be afraid always have respect, It could keep u safe LOL

captain m
Road Master

I don't get nervous,I get gas,but that eventually goes away !!!! the butterflies stay a little longer,that's a good thing,it keeps you on your toes and more aware of your surroundings and speed.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:22 AM
leond
Cruiser

Be aware, the time a newer rider is most likely to get into an accident is when they've been riding from six months to two years.

Before six months, you know you don't know how to ride so you're extra careful.

After two years, you have enough experience to know what you're doing.

Between six months and two years, you don't have enough experience to know what you're doing. But you think you do.

LeonD

P.S. The butterflies will go away.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:39 AM
sarg0406
Advanced

+1 on all comments. Ride, have fun, but don't ever lose respect for what you are riding and never forget to ride like you are invisible to everyone else.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:46 AM
iceman336
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I always listen to my gut. The brain and the subconcious pick up a lot of seemingly unrelated information that when added together can make the difference. Good example of this was last week for me when I was riding without my gear (it was strapped to the back of the bike as it was smokin' hot out). Something told me to throw my jacket and full face on so I stopped and did so. 6 miles down the road, a gravel hauler tossed a freakin' big rock out of the tires. I saw it coming in time to throw my arm up and deflect it and it grazed my helmet instead. I have a honking big bruise on my arm and a wicked scrape on my helmet, but the extra layers kept me from having a broken arm or a split skull. I shudder when I think what would have happened if that thing struck me with the beanie on...

Old 08-19-2008, 12:03 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by leond
Be aware, the time a newer rider is most likely to get into an accident is when they've been riding from six months to two years.

Before six months, you know you don't know how to ride so you're extra careful.

After two years, you have enough experience to know what you're doing.

Between six months and two years, you don't have enough experience to know what you're doing. But you think you do.

LeonD

P.S. The butterflies will go away.
+1
Tom

Quick Reply: Scared And Butterflies