General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I love HD..... but!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 12:01 PM
FBTRIKE
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I love HD..... but!

One thing I would like to see HD do, is offer more options installed from the factory......I don't know if its practical on bikes but every new car or truck that I have bought has been orderd right from the factory the exact way I wanted it. Dealers always checked stock and whats coming in, trying to sell me something close but I've always put together the exact pkgs and options, waited a little longer, and got what I wanted.......

I know your not going to get every option and there are to many after market items that people want any way. But I would love to be able to order a HD With at least major options such as chrome front ends. Maybe a chrome pkg upgrade, where you could save a little by getting it installed at the factory instead of replacing pieces you know when you buy the bike your gunna want to replace.......I know you can get the CVOs but something in between would be nice......I do all my own wrenching so labor cost isn't a factor for me but for some others it's an additional hit and you end up with a lot of duplicate parts......

It just seems to me that in this day and age, it wouldn't be that hard to do....... What do you think?

Old 08-19-2008, 12:05 PM
wdg
Outstanding HDF Member

i would like to see that kind of fleixibilty. i waited for the cruise control and abs breaks and security sytems to be factory installed.then switched the exhaust sytem after 45 miles on the bike. just to start with.the passenger grips backrest were ordered with the purchase plus removed the saddle back guards and installed the under support.

Last edited by wdg; 08-19-2008 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:07 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

dealers kinda do that, don't they... with the "chrome girl". you can order anything in the HD (and after market) catalogues and have it installed before you take delivery.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:09 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It would be great to have a choice of seats,handlebars,windshields,saddle bags,exhaust,engine upgrades,etc., right from the factory.
Tom

Old 08-19-2008, 12:11 PM
FBTRIKE
Road Captain

Originally Posted by aviator
dealers kinda do that, don't they... with the "chrome girl". you can order anything in the HD (and after market) catalogues and have it installed before you take delivery.
Sure you can do that but your still paying for the original parts that the dealer takes off.........

Old 08-19-2008, 12:12 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by aviator
The problem with that is you have already paid for the stock stuff that you are replacing.
It would be a lot cheaper to order it with the upgraded item and just pay for it.
Tom

Old 08-19-2008, 12:23 PM
ebeattie
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

Id like to see it too, but Im afraid the HD response to that is order a bike through CVO. I think producing bikes with different packages would mess up their "just in time" parts stock at the factory. Also, the dealers would probably bitch hard and long about the lost labor and parts sales that customizing a new bike makes them. Factory options would likely hurt their bottom line!

Simply a numbers game.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:39 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think we'd all like to see that.

But you think they're expensive now? Just wait until they have to retrofit their assembly, fatten up their supply chain....

Old 08-19-2008, 12:47 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FBTRIKE
Sure you can do that but your still paying for the original parts that the dealer takes off.........
Exactly, plus you're also paying a whole lot more labor charges that you wouldn't have to pay if it was done during the original assembly. Also there is the possibility that the tech will screw something up or scratch something at the dealer.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:47 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by FBTRIKE
Not to mention the major hit you take from the dealership installing the parts.

Quick Reply: I love HD..... but!