General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chilling reality check...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 03:10 PM
ShockwaveTXB
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chilling reality check...

So my father and I were at the local dealership yesterday just looking around. We like to go look around the store and just check things out and we happened to go upstairs, off the showroom floor, where they keep several of the used bikes they don't have space for on the floor as well as some other bikes they are still processing and such.

Anyways, we were looking at one bike that was in a row of bikes that had some level of damage to them that needed fixed up before the dealership would sell them. This bike in particular didn't look too bad at all, just some road rash along the left side of the bike. The derby cover and the highway pegs were banged up, and the hand controls were dinged up but it didn't look too bad off.

Then the guy who was with us who took us up to take a look around walked over and said that the guy had died in the accident. Chills went down my neck as I never would have guessed it was a fatal crash based on the condition of the bike. I actually remembered hearing about a fatal accident on the highway a little while back and this was apparently that bike.

I guess that just goes to show that anything can happen and that while the bike might not get too banged up, what happens to your body is a whole different story.

Just wanted to share this bit with everyone so that everyone keeps safe riding in mind while out on the roads.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:12 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Gave me chills just reading it.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:30 PM
Slacker8
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll never buy another used bike!

Old 08-26-2008, 03:34 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

It is a good thing to have a taste of reality once in a while.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:36 PM
bandit31
Cruiser

That is definitely food for thought. Chills went down my spine after reading.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:36 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 7,717 Likes on 4,092 Posts

The chilling effect happens! Back in school, go to a wreck site or junk yard to see a car that other kids died in, and get the *******. A walk through Little Big Horn Battlefield in the evening.... very weird feelings and characters.

At a swiftwater rescue course, the instructor used an old beat up kayak for some pinning and rescue situation set-ups on a mountain stream. Then he told us a guy died in it and the family gave it to the instructor to help teach others how to save lives. Spooky dealing with that boat!

Wifey is a little bit Cheyenne blood... she picks up on stuff going on with objects and locations that make the hair stand on end...

Old 08-26-2008, 03:41 PM
Phlip96
Outstanding HDF Member

Gooooose bumps!!

Must not have had a guardian bell..

Old 08-26-2008, 03:48 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Big Sled
The chilling effect happens! Back in school, go to a wreck site or junk yard to see a car that other kids died in, and get the *******. A walk through Little Big Horn Battlefield in the evening.... very weird feelings and characters.
Wifey is a little bit Cheyenne blood... she picks up on stuff going on with objects and locations that make the hair stand on end...
I stopped a few times at the Little Big Horn Battlefield when I worked out of Billings, MT. before going back to Butte, and you're right, it is a weird feeling to walk around knowing the history and what happened there.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:01 PM
Medicfrost
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My buddy's brother died during Daytona Bike Week this year after his he was clipped by a cager. The bike, an 07 or 08 Road King, was barely damaged at all, but the brother had that and a 94 Road King. My buddy wanted to buy the 94 from his nephew after everything was settled. I asked him what they were going to do with the new bike, and no one wanted a thing to do with that bike. It's just being superstitious, but I'm like him, I don't want to have anything to do with a bike that someone has died on.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:33 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Wow, that was pretty chilling! I don't know if I'd want a bike where the previous owner unfortunately passed away while riding it either.

Stuff like that is even freakier when I think how close I came when I went down two months ago. Even at the low speed I was at, if I hadn't stopped I probably would've rear ended the lady, gone thru her rear window, and be in a coma or dead now. Might not be likely, but the fact it might have happened scares me sometimes.

Quick Reply: Chilling reality check...