General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now we know how it played out at Sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 07:13 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts

Probably no chance at all. I'm sure the HA's knew that the Iron Pigs were LEO as well as the Iron Pigs knew that the HA's were a 1%er club not fond of LEO's.

Originally Posted by Double3
So whats the chances this guy was at a bar and not drinking?

Old 08-28-2008, 07:17 PM
ae4782tt
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry1955
It's not complicated Ron and you have been around long enough to already understand it. I don't allow 1%er threads or LEO threads when the bashing starts (which is every thread we've ever had here on those topics). I do this out of a mutual respect of both parties. I don't care how they do it at other forums so posting this link somewhere else is a waste of your time. I prefer to have these conversations via PM but you have continued to call me out in the open forum. Is that enough explanation for you?
PM sent

Old 08-28-2008, 07:23 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Thanks You Sir.

Originally Posted by ae4782tt
PM sent

Old 08-28-2008, 07:28 PM
Psycho Steve
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

finally i can put my 2cents in. as a nra, fbi certified firearms instructor, swat operator and a blue knight, i was instructed by both organazations on The LEO Safety Act of 2004 (HB 218). state, county or local can carry a firearm anywhere in the united states except airports and federal buildings. we can carry on airplanes if it is duty related and we have all the proper paperwork. what i bet got these guys in trouble was is if the had consumed any alcoholic beverage. that is a big no no. you are not covered if you consume any alcohol. i carry in bars, clubs , hooters you name it. i like to listen to the bands. but i cannot consume any alcohol. that is the price i pay for being armed all the time. the reason the law was passed was so that well trained leo's could carry nationwide to protect themselves as well as others.
however, i have to abide by the rules or i can't use it.

personally, i wish everyone who had a ccw could carry anywhere also. look how long it took to get the law passed before police could carry nationwide. it will take alot longer for the ccw's i am afraid.

great discussion guys. lets keep it cool and hear somemore opinions.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:41 PM
ae4782tt
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Psycho Steve
finally i can put my 2cents in. as a nra, fbi certified firearms instructor, swat operator and a blue knight, i was instructed by both organazations on The LEO Safety Act of 2004 (HB 218). state, county or local can carry a firearm anywhere in the united states except airports and federal buildings. we can carry on airplanes if it is duty related and we have all the proper paperwork. what i bet got these guys in trouble was is if the had consumed any alcoholic beverage. that is a big no no. you are not covered if you consume any alcohol. i carry in bars, clubs , hooters you name it. i like to listen to the bands. but i cannot consume any alcohol. that is the price i pay for being armed all the time. the reason the law was passed was so that well trained leo's could carry nationwide to protect themselves as well as others.
however, i have to abide by the rules or i can't use it.

personally, i wish everyone who had a ccw could carry anywhere also. look how long it took to get the law passed before police could carry nationwide. it will take alot longer for the ccw's i am afraid.

great discussion guys. lets keep it cool and hear somemore opinions.
Lemmee ask ya something Steve. Even if these guys were not drinking, don't ya think it showed some pretty poor judgement to go into a bar, known to be frequented by 1%'s wearing their Iron Hog Colors (assuming they were)?
Would you put yourself in a situation like that...wearing your Blue Knight colors? Even if they were stone cold sober, its not a very smart thing to do! Just lookin for trouble IMO.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:44 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

For what it's worth, in some states it is legal for those with a valid CCW Permit to 'carry in a bar/tavern'.

Take Kansas for example. A bar or tavern is no different than any other private establishment, being that unless a state approved "No Firearms" notice is posted on the entrance door, etc., it is legal to carry while inside if you have a valid CCW Permit.

Of course it is in violation if you drink to the point where a blood alcohol test shows that your are legally over the limit.

But then again, Kansas also passed a law recently permitting private citizens to purchase and own fully automatic weapons (machine guns), sawed off shotguns, silencers, etc....

Old 08-28-2008, 07:50 PM
coltsfan
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry1955
Thanks You Sir.
This thread is interesting. I don't have enough knowledge to make a comment but I am enjoying reading this.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:51 PM
laz
Extreme HDF Member

Received 9,613 Likes on 3,434 Posts

Lemmee ask ya something Steve. Even if these guys were not drinking, don't ya think it showed some pretty poor judgement to go into a bar, known to be frequented by 1%'s wearing their Iron Hog Colors (assuming they were)?
Would you put yourself in a situation like that...wearing your Blue Knight colors? Even if they were stone cold sober, its not a very smart thing to do! Just lookin for trouble IMO.
You've hit on exactly the reason I don't associate with any riding clubs, organizations, etc. Not LEO clubs, HOG, nothing. I've never been much for the group identity thing, and quite frankly, when I'm out riding, I don't want anyone to know what I do for a living. It's a separate part of my life and no one else's business.

That said, I'd say the IPMC or anyone else has a right to be wherever they want as long as they're behaving and not looking for trouble. Which they may or may not have been in this case. In short, those of us who were not there (which is most of us) may never know who got there first, who said what to who first, who escalated matters, etc.......

Old 08-28-2008, 07:52 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Here is one post we actually agree on buddy. You can't play both sides of the fence. I'm a Blue Knight and I know that if I ever end up in a bar with an outlaw club I can expect trouble. Instead of looking for problems I take the high side and stay out of those types of bars.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:53 PM
Psycho Steve
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

i have been in that exact situation you are talking about. daytona. blue knights and hell angels in the same location together. they showed us nothing but respect as did we to them. this is a free country to some extent. just because i am a police officer doesn't mean i can't belong to a club and wear my colors. and this was sturgis. i am sure alot more clubs were represented there than the two mentioned. i know several of my buddies went there last year and wore their colors.

i could be at krispe kreme getting my donuts hot and fresh. but does that mean a hells angel couldn't come by and get him some hot and fresh too? absolutly not

Last edited by Psycho Steve; 08-28-2008 at 07:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Now we know how it played out at Sturgis