General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Sand & Gravel

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 09:44 PM
DukeofEarl
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Sand & Gravel

Yesterday, a 29 year old female soldier and her dad were riding in Wisconsin. She hit some sand in the road and lost control. She hit the guard rail a couple of times. Her dad who was following her, immediately stopped along with another motorcyclist who happened to be a paramedic. They both administered CPR to no avail and she did not survive.

My questions:
1. How many of you have hit sand or gravel on the road?
2. Was it a surprise?
3. Would better attention have revealed the sand or gravel on the road soon enough to react?
4. If you did hit the sand or gravel, what did you do to keep the bike in control?

Regards

Old 08-28-2008, 10:24 PM
landest
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DukeofEarl
Yesterday, a 29 year old female soldier and her dad were riding in Wisconsin. She hit some sand in the road and lost control. She hit the guard rail a couple of times. Her dad who was following her, immediately stopped along with another motorcyclist who happened to be a paramedic. They both administered CPR to no avail and she did not survive.

My questions:
2. Was it a surprise?
3. Would better attention have revealed the sand or gravel on the road soon enough to react?
4. If you did hit the sand or gravel, what did you do to keep the bike in control?

Regards
That’s a sad story. I can’t imagine the grief the father is going through.

Answers:
Answer: Yes, mostly on secondary roads.
2. Was it a surprise?
Answer: Not really. I consider it a normal road hazard.
Answer: Perhaps. Not enough information.
Answer: #1: Don’t over react. 2. Smooth and easy on the controls and handling. 3. Spend some time with a dirt bike to develop skills (if possible).

New #5. Sometimes things happen and can't be prevented even with the best skills and training. The road can be a harsh taskmaster at times.

If you know these people send condolences.

Last edited by landest; 08-28-2008 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:08 PM
LAMing
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Road riding is a pastime for most of us, not a race. Keeping that in mind, here are some tips that have kept me alive and intact for nearly 40 years riding on some of the most unexpected terrain: Dirt.

1. Never, ever, "over commit" to a turn, especially a blind curve.

2. ALWAYS ride under your skill level abilities. This way you have some in reserve if you have to draw upon it. If you're already at the traction and/or skill limit... you'll fall.

3. ALWAYS scan the terrain/road FAR AHEAD of you. Keep the eyes moving and analyzing. Do NOT fall prey to "tunnel vision" by only focusing a short distance ahead of you or the vehicle in front of you. (Look PAST the vehicle in front of you.) You want to see a hazard LONG before you're upon it. Riding twisties with limited vision? See Point #1.

4. If you see gravel/sand in a turn:

a. Quickly scan for a way to avoid it. If you have to tighten your turn, trail brake and do so. (You can because of Point 1 above!)

b. If you must pass through it, then try to straighten your line as you pass through it, then resume your turn after passing through it. The idea is to MINIMIZE input and lean angle while passing through the slippery. (This is a very easy and safe way to handle gravel/sand residue at a T intersection: Straighten your line through it.)

Unless you have superb riding skills, you want to avoid having the bike leaned at an aggressive angle and aggressive traction factor when hitting the ball bearings.

That's all that comes off the top of the head, hopefully some of the other more advanced riders can step in and offer some more tips.

Andre Ming
Eastern OK

Old 08-29-2008, 12:32 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by DukeofEarl
My questions:
2. Was it a surprise?
Depends on where it is and how much of it. A small amount on a straight patch of road should not cause an issue. A similarly small amount in a curve could create a problem. A large amount, perhaps washed onto the road after a storm, could create problems if you hit it unaware. It's certainly something you should watch for, as well as any and all other potential road hazards. I don't like surprises.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:34 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Excellent words of wisdom Lam

Old 08-29-2008, 12:36 AM
Chubby
Road Captain

Originally Posted by LAMing
Road riding is a pastime for most of us, not a race. Keeping that in mind, here are some tips that have kept me alive and intact for nearly 40 years riding on some of the most unexpected terrain: Dirt.

2. ALWAYS ride under your skill level abilities. This way you have some in reserve if you have to draw upon it. If you're already at the traction and/or skill limit... you'll fall.

3. ALWAYS scan the terrain/road FAR AHEAD of you. Keep the eyes moving and analyzing. Do NOT fall prey to "tunnel vision" by only focusing a short distance ahead of you or the vehicle in front of you. (Look PAST the vehicle in front of you.) You want to see a hazard LONG before you're upon it. Riding twisties with limited vision? See Point #1.

a. Quickly scan for a way to avoid it. If you have to tighten your turn, trail brake and do so. (You can because of Point 1 above!)

b. If you must pass through it, then try to straighten your line as you pass through it, then resume your turn after passing through it. The idea is to MINIMIZE input and lean angle while passing through the slippery. (This is a very easy and safe way to handle gravel/sand residue at a T intersection: Straighten your line through it.)

Unless you have superb riding skills, you want to avoid having the bike leaned at an aggressive angle and aggressive traction factor when hitting the ball bearings.

That's all that comes off the top of the head, hopefully some of the other more advanced riders can step in and offer some more tips.

Andre Ming
Eastern OK
Well said... a few key points: "straighten your line as you pass through it" & "ALWAYS ride under your skill level abilities" I also want to add: Tires and tire pressures are sadly neglected by most riders. They are what keeps you hooked up so they really need top priority. I stuck a set of Michelin Commanders on my bike and it's like riding on flypaper... makes a huge difference. Feel sorry for the father... I know exactly how he feels, I lost a daughter too.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:58 AM
LAMing
Road Master

Excellent point about the tires, Chubby. For casual trail riding, many has been the set of cheap Cheng Shin tires that has been on my dirt bikes. However, trees don't use cell phones/etc. You just made up my mind to keep the best tires I can afford on my Deuce road bike! Thanks.

Very sorry about your daughter.

Andre Ming
Eastern OK

Old 08-29-2008, 06:19 AM
ayebyte
Tourer

Remember to stay off the front brake.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:54 AM
bdn56
Road Captain
Default Sand

I never had a problem in the sand or gravel until February. I never thought twice about the sand blowing across the road at Panama City Beech. Within 2 to 3 seconds, my wife and I were laying next to the bike. She was ok. I will be limping for a long time. Had to put some training wheels on to be able to ride for a year or two. It only takes a fraction of a second to react. I guess I didn't.

Attached Thumbnails Road Sand & Gravel-june-2008-4.jpg  

Last edited by bdn56; 08-29-2008 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:19 AM
Bat
Cruiser

Originally Posted by LAMing

Andre Ming
Eastern OK
Obviously, excellent words. To re-enforce; I was riding close to the limit of my ability into a turn (1 and 2 above, errors). Fortunately saw the lose sand/gravel before I was right on top of it (better in regard to 3, but it was a turn and I didn't have as much "ahead" vision as I usualy would. This is also good advice in a car, which I learned from my dad and use on my bike, idiots are everywhere, in front, behind and all around us). Had a little in reserve in regard to number 2, so I was able to change my line and miss part of the hazard, but still needed to lean through the hazard, but was lucky enough, and was aware that no traffic was comming and was able to straigten some, and go over my line into the other lane a little.

Survived with a scare and reminder to heed LAM's advice. I will also say the comment before about not panicking/over reacting is key. When I have been dumb enough to let my mind wander and happen upon a hazard (dog charging, car pulling to far into the intersection, water puddle, etc.) my panic/over reaction caused me to have to work harder than necessary if I just would have relaxed and executed.

Quick Reply: Road Sand & Gravel