General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Have A Plan/Retirement/Moving

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 08:00 AM
Deepsouth251
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I Have A Plan/Retirement/Moving

As we sit thru another near miss on the Alabama Gulf Coast, my wife and I are once again discussing what we will do in 6 more yrs when my 2nd retirement is possible. I'm 55 yrs old and we talk about how each year it gets harder and harder to replace shingles, get on roof and nail down blue tarps, use chain saws to clear limbs/trees. We have always taken lots of short/wkend bike trips to bike events. We are wanting to start to take these trips to poss areas where we would consider living when the time comes. Please post where you live (in the southeast) and why you enjoy living there, so wife and I can consider visiting the area. Don't get me wrong, we love where we now live but when you take the beach out of the pic, it could be anywhere. It is tough to live here and cope with the storms as you get older. Interested in maybe North Georgia,Tn, or North Alabama. (No Florida, Thanks)

Old 09-01-2008, 08:29 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I hear ya! while I don't count Houston in the Southeast, I too got fed up with all the rain and the yearly threats of hurricanes. I moved to San Antonio this past January - and love it. plenty of great riding in the Hill Country. it does get hot - but, I'm willing to put up with that instead of all the rains.

if you've got 6 yrs before you can retire (again), maybe y'all should take a look at downsizing from your house to a condo ot townhouse - let someone else be responsible for the roof.

good luck with your decision making.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:42 AM
Deepsouth251
Road Master

Visited San Antonio when I was in the military at Fort Sam Houston. Was able to get out into the hill country on weekends and you are right lots of beauty to ride thru. Reason I mentioned Southeast is my 4 grandchildren live in west central Alabama and need to stay within 200-400 miles of them. In our area nobody lives in the condos because of all the summertime rentals of tourists in them. Anyway need lots of storage for toys. The plan also does include downsizing the house. It's amazing how big your house can be but if it's just you and wifie how little of that space you actually live in.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:28 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

grandkids make a big difference - stay close to them! I spent a year in the Enterprise/Ozark area with the Army..... however, I was so "pre-occupied" I didn't really spend anytime in the local area - nor can I speak to living there. I think I'd want to move further inland...... I've wanted to check out Demopolis after seeing a Travel Channel show about their Christmas celebration.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:56 AM
Deepsouth251
Road Master

Wife and I went to the best bike rally ever in Demopolis, Al (actually Forkland) 10 mi north of there. "Bama Bike Fest", back in July, been there many times. It's on a private farm and unencumbered by LEO. Lots of fun. As far as Demopolis, don't waste ur time to ck it out, very, very small town, nothing there. On the plus side it has wonderful fresh water fishing per the Demopolis Reservoir and beautiful Corps of Engineers riverside rv campgrounds.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:04 AM
JacktheBagger
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Come up around here . Get a couple acres out in the country and be done with it ..

Old 09-01-2008, 10:06 AM
Marsh
Outstanding HDF Member

I live and ride in middle TN. Windy roads, hills, forests, meadows, farm land,big cities and small towns. I could not be happier with where I live and ride. It's about perfect.
Marsh

Old 09-01-2008, 10:25 AM
Deepsouth251
Road Master

This post is for Bagger Driver. Funny u should mention Prattville, a friend of mine who is retired from the Montgomery PD and now travels the state for another agency has told me Prattville would be a good place for us as I could actually do that move now and if I could get a Municipal job in the area I would be able to stay on the same state pension plan just like a transfer, would not have to wait 6 years til retirement. Only about 100 mi from grand kids. Ummm food for thought.
In answer to Marsh from Franklin, Tn, I have been thru Franklin several times on bike travels and I have to admit it as beautiful a part of the U.S. that anyone would want to live in.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:30 AM
JacktheBagger
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

PM sent

Old 09-01-2008, 10:52 AM
ae4782tt
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in north central NC, (Hillsborough) to be exact, and have been here for 13 yrs. (former conn yankee) Orange county is very rural, but close to big cities (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) You are only a couple hrs to the coast, and about the same to the mountains. Climate is very nice, 4 seasons. Winter is short and mild. I like it!

Quick Reply: I Have A Plan/Retirement/Moving