General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about an Electra Glide Standard?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 07:02 PM
TXK9
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about an Electra Glide Standard?

I have been reading post on this forum daily for about 5 months. I never registered or participated because I do not own a bike. I have been saving for a bike and will make my purchase in January on my birthday. Im saving for a large down payment so I can get a low monthly payment. Now for my question.

This guy that I work with is selling his 2003 Electra Glide Standard. It is a really nice bike. He purchased the bike new in 2003 and added a radio (with upgraded speakers, stage one, short windshield, and tons of decorative pieces. He is an experienced rider who has own a few Harley's before this one. The bike has 31,000 miles on it and he is asking $11,000. I think he might take $10,000. He doesn't want to sell it until September of next year, but I would want it in January (birthday). I think I might be able to get him to sell in January. Is this a good buy?

This is not the model or the year I had my heart on. I was planning on spending $20,000 and getting a basic Road King. Im not a huge fan of the "batwing". The only reason Im considering this is because it will cost me half of what I was going to spend. With 31000 miles on it, is it worth the $10,000. Thanks in advance to anyone who gives me advice.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:19 PM
2Sore
Road Master

It's been my experence to get the one you really want or else you won't be happy...ever.
It's just like a wife.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:29 PM
MR. SCOOTINN
Tourer

One thing to keep in mind is the engine size to...I think the 88 is a good engine but under powered...Just make sure you get what you want the first time,,

Old 09-01-2008, 08:02 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A new Electra Glide STandard is only 16,500 and you can git it financed at probaly a better interest rate than the 2003. It will have Zero miles .
I know the 96cu engine will run stronger than the 88cu .

Look at the payments on the 2003 Bike and look at the payments on a 2008 or 2009 bike and they won't be that much difference.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:26 PM
Harleyriding77
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went to my local dealer to look over a 99 RK that had a ton of preformance parts and engine work done to it. After looking at the payments and such and the fact that with the engine work not being done by harley and some other stipulations that I couldnt get a warranty on it. The new Heritage I was looking at also could be had for just alittle more payment wise and had no miles on it, a shiney new warranty and the peace of mind that if it threw a rod out the side when Im driving off the lot that Im covered. So yeah it might be a good deal but do some shopping around when the time comes to commit to buy.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:52 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb

I dunno, I just have an aversion to buying someone else's motorcycle. Probably unfounded, but to me a motorcycle is more than a toy, it is an intimate and personal extension of me. If I were you, I would go for the brand new Road King. You could do a lot worse, and you'll have the peace of mind of a warranty (after all it IS a Harley).

After laying off riding for seven years, I bought a used 99 Standard. Rode it three weeks and bought a brand new 02 Ultra, which is what I should have bought in the first place. Nothing wrong with the Standard, just not what I want from a motorcycle. Follow your heart.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:23 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with the others. Buy a new bike if you're able to afford it. If a EG is not what you wanted, then you might as well wait to get what you really want.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:52 PM
Mr Zip
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive bought used bikes that ran like raped apes and ran forever. Its easy to love a bike that you have the title for, and 10k seems like a fair price, and its probably not going to drop too much more over the next few years. Might be worth a shot.

If money isnt a big deal, then get the one you want. My gut feeling is you'll love your first harley if its in good shape and takes you where you wanna go.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:59 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

if my wife didnt buy my road king for me, i wouldnt have bought a brand-new bike.

ive owned A LOT of bikes, many of which were new.... but the older i get, the more i realize that brand-new vehicles are a waste of money- especially if you know what to look for in a used one.

should the day come that i want to sell the RKC and get something else, itll be used.... unless of course my wife insists on a 'new' ride.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:03 AM
rydermike
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try a few out and wiegh the differences , as far as harley's my 1st one was a RK , then 6 months later was looking at used road glides & ultras ,they were all priced maybe 2 - 3000 dollars (03 & 04's) than a new 07 ultra , and they all had 23-44,000 miles. Just seemed new with warranty , knowing how the bike IS being taken care of and ridden , I am pleased I rode off with the new 07 .... and didn't have to wait for a guy to sell me a bike in his time frame.

Quick Reply: Question about an Electra Glide Standard?