General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More fallout from the Iron Pigs /HA "get together"

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 07:30 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
I see a lot of conclusions here, but I didn't see anything in the article that supports them.

The wacky concealed weapon charges make me question whether the prosecutor has much idea what he's doing, and charging both the shooter and the victim adds to that, but I don't know South Dakota law. Here and in some other states any of those guys would have been perfectly legal carrying in a bar and I've never known a cop who didn't (other than one who got disciplinary action for being unarmed in a bar, contrary to regs).

Whatever happened, the articles I've seen about this tell me I don't know enough to know who is the bad guy.
South Dakota law or not, the cop in question was drinking. He admitted to that. That means he can't be carrying under the federal law that allows cops to carry nationwide, with a few "place exceptions". But then the federal law has never been implemented 'cause the DOJ hasn't done what they need to do to make the law take effect. Because of those two little points of law, the cop that was carrying was rightfully charged with a weapons violation, trial to follow.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:32 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
Unfortunately, to the general public this is not a story about Police and Hells Angels, it is a story about bikers like you and me.

Fortunately, for bikers like you and me, the general public, other than here, are probably not paying any attention to this incident. I have seen nothing about it in newspapers, news magazines, or TV.
+1

thanks for some perspective

Old 09-04-2008, 07:37 PM
aimhard
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In a Kansas City Mall shooting an off duty officer shot and killed the killer before many more lives were lost. How many of these cop haters would risk their life, and take on a shotgun toting killer, to save a stranger?

Old 09-04-2008, 07:38 PM
Jimbo60
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tut
...........The punch line here is that a thinking person would not carry in a bar full of drunk'n meat-heads as they'd rather be riding and spending the money saved on gas!

Slight correction to your statment;

A thinking person would not go into a bar full of drunken meatheads.....

As to the LEOs that are taking exception to the way they are being treated on these threads, as I've said in another thread, I really don't pay that much attention to LEO stuff.

However, I can say that on the rare occasion that I have had to interact with LEOs, in the last 15 years or so, the majority have been overly aggresive, sarcastic and, genrally disrepectful. I have no criminal record, and this has been over minor traffic BS. The last time was at a DUI checkpoint - for having a tail light out!! - the way they acted you'd have thought that I was a convicted murderer on my way to rape their mothers. Really it was just short of the "up against the car and spread 'em" routine

Oh well........... I guess if you're not part of the club.......or "if you're not one of us, you must be one of THEM".

JMHO (and experience). So I really ain't surpised about the whole Sturgis deal.

................. Jim

Old 09-04-2008, 07:42 PM
ae4782tt
Road Master

Originally Posted by aimhard
In a Kansas City Mall shooting an off duty officer shot and killed the killer before many more lives were lost. How many of these cop haters would risk their life, and take on a shotgun toting killer, to save a stranger?
If I were there, and was carrying, you can bet your *** I would!

Old 09-04-2008, 07:58 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 703 Likes on 349 Posts

Oh well........... I guess if you're not part of the club.......or "if you're not one of us, you must be one of THEM".

JMHO (and experience). So I really ain't surpised about the whole Sturgis deal.

................. Jim
Jim...some of the attitudes displayed in here, from a cop's perspective, are exactly what fosters the "us versus them" bull****. Why would any cop want to even be a part of a group like this? I've seen a bunch come and go.

I personally have many more "civilian" friends than cop friends, but I'm not too sure that's normal. Every time I turn around there's a bunch of new guys in here that need to flex their muscles and tell everyone how tough they are and how bad the cops are. Let me share something with ya...EVERYONE has a bad cop story or two. SO DO I. But bad cops are NOT the norm.

Just yesterday, in 2 separate incidents, I arrested black females. In both cases I went out of my way to be courteous and accomodating. In both cases I was called a racist.

Maybe it's just easier for us to hang out with others in the "club". I choose to venture outside once in a while, hope you don't mind.

Tut, OPD response to the mall shooting wasn't great, but it wouldn't have mattered. The shooter was already dead. Do you know how rare it is for police to get to an active shooter situation in time to intervene? EXTREMELY.

And to all you experts, I'll continue to "pack", whether I happen to wander into a bar with my friends or not. I'll be the guy drinking diet Pepsi, but I WILL be CCW.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:03 PM
bigjimhp
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too often, the media portrays cops as heroes, when they are not. Its hard to find an honest cop in action, meaning one who will call dishonest cops out on the record, making them all the same

Old 09-04-2008, 08:09 PM
MR. SCOOTINN
Tourer

Originally Posted by stro1965
Jim...some of the attitudes displayed in here, from a cop's perspective, are exactly what fosters the "us versus them" bull****. Why would any cop want to even be a part of a group like this? I've seen a bunch come and go.

I personally have many more "civilian" friends than cop friends, but I'm not too sure that's normal. Every time I turn around there's a bunch of new guys in here that need to flex their muscles and tell everyone how tough they are and how bad the cops are. Let me share something with ya...EVERYONE has a bad cop story or two. SO DO I. But bad cops are NOT the norm.

Just yesterday, in 2 separate incidents, I arrested black females. In both cases I went out of my way to be courteous and accomodating. In both cases I was called a racist.

Maybe it's just easier for us to hang out with others in the "club". I choose to venture outside once in a while, hope you don't mind.

Tut, OPD response to the mall shooting wasn't great, but it wouldn't have mattered. The shooter was already dead. Do you know how rare it is for police to get to an active shooter situation in time to intervene? EXTREMELY.

And to all you experts, I'll continue to "pack", whether I happen to wander into a bar with my friends or not. I'll be the guy drinking diet Pepsi, but I WILL be CCW.

It is very simple the cops broke the laws..& any law enforcement officer for the people are not beyond the law...In this instance the cop may have been justified to protect him slef..but he broke the carry law & as any other civilian would be charged so should they...I Rember i guy in miami..had robbers breaking into his houes..about 3 times..& had stell bars on his window..even with that they broke in..so he put an electrical charge to it,,to protect his property & life & one of the robbers died from it..so he was charged with 2nd degree murder...So it is not about what is right & wrong..It is about the law..& they broke it.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:16 PM
learfxr
Tourer

I'm not allowed to carry in a bar with my CHL, so you don't see me there. I'm not sure if the LEO's are allowed to carry in a bar off duty cause it's not my resposibility to know that. I know there are laws against me doing it, so I don't.

I don't know how I would handle the whole mall shooting BS if I was there. If there with my wife I would get her somewhere safe and protect her. I doubt I'd be charging after the fool with my gun. It depends on how close the person is to us when it happens. If I'm in a store across the mall I'd prob stay with my wife and guard her. I carry to protect my family and my property, not to go running after wacko's. I don't go running into burning buildings either. I'll let someone else be the hero. I didn't get a CHL to be rambo

Old 09-04-2008, 08:34 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pococj
South Dakota law or not, the cop in question was drinking. He admitted to that. That means he can't be carrying under the federal law that allows cops to carry nationwide, with a few "place exceptions". But then the federal law has never been implemented 'cause the DOJ hasn't done what they need to do to make the law take effect. Because of those two little points of law, the cop that was carrying was rightfully charged with a weapons violation, trial to follow.
The law is in effect - 18 USC § 926B. Not sure what you're talking about as far as "never been implemented," but you're wrong - exactly when did the Department of Justice get the power to nullify a statute enacted by congress and signed by the president??? I don't claim to be the country's greatest expert on it, but I have taught academy classes about it, drafted state admin regulations and published a legal magazine article about it - there are even a few court cases on it already (i.e., one in NY determined that a Coast Guard member was allowed to carry under LEOSA).

As far as drinking, that isn't in 926B - it just says you can't be "under the influence" which is not the same as "not drinking" as we found out many years ago when our DUI laws said "under the influence" and we found out we needed to change them to a per se BA limit to get convictions.

So, as I said, I don't see anything in the article to tell me who was wrong or why.

Last edited by brenn; 09-04-2008 at 08:39 PM.

Quick Reply: More fallout from the Iron Pigs /HA "get together"