General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bad experience on the road

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 02:33 PM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default bad experience on the road

quite a lot of threads on bad cagers and things they have done.

i am sure that over time, something will happen worse than this, but this is the most recent one and the one that really scared me.

we have all had someone sneak up on us and caught us off guard - or someone who kinda appeared out of nowhere.

i was heading out to sturgis, going north on the interstate between souix city and souix falls. driving along around 75mph. my support vehicle (aka wife, she doesn't ride) behind me. i am in the left lane of two lanes. nothing to my immediate right for quit aways. riding along in the middle of the lane.

next thing i know, i get passed on my left by some ahole going what seems like way over 90. appeared out of nowhere. he was less than a foot to my left.

thats correct, to my left.
there was no reason he could't have just used the lane to the right and passed me normal.

i check the rear view mirrors often and never ever saw him coming.

it was just all of a sudden. i thought i heard something to my left, but it didn't make sense. one of those situations where your mind goes thru multiple iterations of what could be happening in no time flat. i took a quick look at the left mirror and there was something there. next thing he was next to me. and luckily i was able to read the situation and not over react and swerve to my right too quickly. at 75 you just don't swerve quick.

the thing that just made this so weird is that it was another biker.

i can't believe that one biker would put another biker in that situation, or even put himself in that situation.

he must have had either some real confidence in my riding ability or a death wish.

like WTF.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:36 PM
blueridgerider
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to excuse the other biker, but why in the world are you camping in the left lane?

Old 09-09-2008, 02:39 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I had bikers pass me going north on my left while I am on a four lane in the left side of the lane. They are passing head on in the south bound lane for what ever reason I cannot figure it out! They weren't crotch rockets either!

Old 09-09-2008, 02:40 PM
1goindiesel
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Probably trying to make a point about "riding right". Not doing it in a smart manner tho. Perhaps drunk/stoned? If there is no traffic/sparse traffic I will usually ride right and pass left.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:44 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 7,717 Likes on 4,092 Posts

Mark,
Do not be surprised at anything on the roads, or who does it. Ride defensively and when you see an idiot just... "Git oughta the way so you can die another day."

Old 09-09-2008, 02:47 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Rude at the least but as mentioned above maybe he felt self-righteous in the fact that he thought you should be cruising in the right lane and not the left? Only guessing cuz who knows what's in someone's mind. Of course he could just be an A-H too...

Old 09-09-2008, 02:48 PM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

if i had been hogging the left lane, thats one thing. and i understand the comment about 'camping' in that lane.

i was going along faster than other vehicles and there were enough other vehicles there that justified staying in the left lane.

so its like i was gaining on a vehicle in the right lane, although he was about a block up. and the last one i had passed was about a block back.

there didn't appear to be a reason to get over to the right for that small amount of time.

really glad it was a bike and not a car - i do have to admit that.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:54 PM
BBQ.Uncle
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He sounds like an impatient a$$ to me. Glad yer ok.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:54 PM
Ric27
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some times you can't do the right thing fast enough

R

Last edited by Ric27; 09-09-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:55 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blueridgerider
Not to excuse the other biker, but why in the world are you camping in the left lane?
+1 - Yep there ya go....

For what it's worth, I will move to the left, pass a vehicle then move back right. Even if it is every 1/4 mile.

But out of curiosity, where was Mama? Did he also pass her on the left?

Last edited by RoadKingRon1; 09-09-2008 at 02:59 PM.

Quick Reply: bad experience on the road