General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retirement - Whata ya gonna do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 10:37 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

NIGHT TRAIN - I retired 6 years ago from municipal management. Staff was understanding enough not to put any citizen calls through to me for the last month. I think they overheard me saying what I was going to tell those idiots.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:39 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

50 for me. I'll get a good pension, plus 45% of my health insurance paid for while still staying on my current employer's plan.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:40 PM
Rick5547
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 61 and retired 4 years ago. Would move south but all the grandkids are here and I just couldn't do with out seeing them. The wife and I do go south for a couple of months in the winter. Sure enjoy the time without all the drama of taking grandkid here and there during that time but after the 2 months can't wait to get back and see them.

I have a enclosed bike trailer and have fixed it up enough to be able to sleep in it. It works for a couple of nights and then I'm ready to head back home.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:49 PM
Chubby
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GT_RoadGlide
I'm 61 and still in pretty good health all things considered. I'm retired now so have lots of free time. I have never trailered and am still capable of doing a long day in the saddle. Like DC to Milwaukee in a day. But lately I have been thinking about getting a trailer, not so much to go from A to B and then back to A. More like find an area to explore then park the truck and toy hauler in an interesting place and then do 2-3-4-5 days trips from there. When I'm tired of that area I head to the next. Now I’m out a couple of weeks and then head back home. And in the winter I’m here!

I budget $75 to $175 per day with a big share of that for hotels/motels. Needless to say I’m not staying city central at the Hilton. Hell I seldom want to be near a big city. [I have a brother who spends winters in AZ and NM. They have a motor home and tow a small truck. I don’t know what the places look like for the $200 or so a month they pay to park. He says that even includes the electric hook-up.]

Jus’ thinkin’ out loud…
Long way to go for me yet... just 46... have you considered a "Desert Fox" or similar toy hauler? Could be just the ticket for you. Jus' sayin'

Old 09-23-2008, 11:04 PM
nomad billy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

DO IT,I have a couple friends that do the 80-40 thing and they love it,lately though they have been thinking of raising it a couple degrees,gettin older aint easy.200 a month is cheap,but its only a place to keep what wont fit on the motorcycle and you wont be there much anyway.Just think,you could be sittin in the shade in winter haven california Jan 1,in a t-shirt talkin to your friends sittin the snow,tell them you,re goin for a ride and to call when it gets back in the 60,s,you,ll see em then.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:12 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb

I didn't intend to retire at 62, but my lungs gave out and I was forced to retire. I made a ton of money on my California house and moved here to St George and built a new house. Things just kept coming our way, and we have a comfortable retirement. One of our kids followed us a couple of years later and so did a close friend.

I did two long trips on the 02 Ultra. My dream was to get on my bike and tour the whole darned country and parts of Eastern Canada, but my wife isn't interested, and isn't physically able to do that kind of travel. I must admit the attraction of long distance touring is waning. I rode down to Las Vegas and back today, about 280 miles, and that was enough for one day.

Now, I volunteer at the local Police Department (wanted a law enforcement career early in life, didn't happen), and my riding buddy has a country music trio, so I follow him around setting up the sound. Church has me doing the finances, and we try to ride somewhere most every day. I am so busy, my wife is asking for more time with me. Meanwhile, she has branched out and gotten herself on the Homeowners Association Board. I never have been happier than I am right now, despite a few ailments that keep the brakes on.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:21 AM
Mad Mike
Road Master

62 and semi-retired - keep trying to quite altogether but just can't keep from getting involved in the old business - I think they humor me with occasional work just to shut me up. Helps pay for extra chrome.
Ride between 25-30k kilometers per year - would have come back to the States years ago but stayed on here for the kids (do you reckon that's like 'staying married for the kids?').
When I ain't ridin' I'm sitting behind this stupid screen trying to think of sarcastic remarks to make

Old 09-24-2008, 04:44 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

sorry to say i dont think i'll retire. the way things are getting i just dont see it happying.i have about 7 more year before i can .but due to the economy i doubt it.but i would like to move where it is warm year around.but if i did i would ride all i could and nothing else.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:05 AM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Retired at 52 from college teaching and never looked back. The "beer and party" mentality of many of today's students was too much. Since then I have worked several part time jobs-- setting ceramic tile, newspaper press room, currently at a local print shop. I've enjoyed every one of them and they leave plenty of time and flexibility for riding and home improvement projects.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:05 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

"I came into this world, bare *** and broke, and it appears I am going to be leaving, the same way"
Was basically retired at 43. Had my cars and scoots lined up for restoration (10 of them). Shop and tools paid for. Kids were young, as I didn't get married til late. House was basically paid for.
Then got divorced.
I'll be workin' til they plant me. No retirement. And with the economy the way it is, don't see any coming.
BUT I was 'schmart' enough, to see the world when I was young enough to bang out hundreds and hundreds of miles at a crack.
Been in everyone of the 50 states, and a few foreign countries.
I have had show cars and trucks. Race cars and trucks. Airplanes. More than my fair share of scooters.
And I have never failed to 'try anything'. Scuba, parachuting, skiing, sailing, flying, racing, on and on.

Never saw it til I came here last year.
The goal is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body. But to slide in side ways, used up, hollerin' "Oh chit, what a ride" And "OH CHIT, what a ride, it's been"

For everyone of you that has a safe and secure retirement, you are blessed. Many of my friends, AND family, have seen their retirement and pensions, evaporate with the Enron chit, the companies walking away from pension plans, or getting turned loose just prior to retirement.

Quick Reply: Retirement - Whata ya gonna do?