General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know about Poker Runs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 12:39 AM
Medicfrost
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra110
I mean actually setting one up and promoting it? Being a 23 year veteran of the fire service I feel this is a worthy charity. My wife and I and some other members of Barnstead Fire and Rescue have been involved with the FealGood foundation. (http://www.fealgoodfoundation.com/) The fundraisers in our small town have been decent but not spectacular. My thought was to have a Poker Run but do not know the ins and outs of staging such an event. Was hoping someone here had experience and would be willing to give me some tips on getting this off the ground.:confused
Fire and Iron MC has 4 stations (chapters) in New Hampshire, and Red Knights MC has 9 chapters in New Hampshire. Have you considered contacting them to help you put one together?

Here's their links: www.fireandiron.com & www.redknightsmc.org

Last edited by Medicfrost; 09-30-2008 at 12:42 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:22 AM
codyshop
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make it absolutely clear that all bikes are welcome and try not to gear to one brand of bike. We had a local charity put "no rice" on a poster and eleven people showed up. Ray

Old 09-30-2008, 01:28 AM
wallyn
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should also check for an insurance rider for your event. We are in SUE happy times. Even if we fully know what we are doing as motorcycle riders it seems lawyers think the event coordinator should be responsible if anything happens.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:54 AM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by codyshop
Make it absolutely clear that all bikes are welcome and try not to gear to one brand of bike. We had a local charity put "no rice" on a poster and eleven people showed up. Ray
Really? Wow, that would be like going to a KKK event with signs that say "Whites only". I wouldn't go to that either.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:16 AM
Medicfrost
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Thumper09
Really? Wow, that would be like going to a KKK event with signs that say "Whites only". I wouldn't go to that either.
There was a poker run down here in Osceola County, FL a few years ago to support anti-immigration from Mexico. We were running a poker run for a firefighter that had lost his child and ended up having a stop that crossed paths with them. These guys were riding with KKK shirts, and chanting all sorts of crap. Most if us went in, got our hand, and walked right out without getting a single drink. These guys seemed nice enough, but we just didn't want to be associated with them.

To say "No Rice" when trying to raise money for a charity is just doing an injustice to the charity. You are pushing out possible contributors, and these folks are now going to think that that charity is against them, and will never throw support to them, even if they have no idea that people have been ostracized.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:41 AM
Thumper09
Road Warrior

Why would we single out Japan? Because of Hiroshima? What about BMW. Isn't that the same Country where Hitler came from? How about Triumph? Didn't we suffer great losses during the revolutionary war? If we study hard enough, we can find a reason to ban every single manufacturer from every Country.

Why do we pick on Japanese bikes and cars only? Because it's easy to say the word RICE instead of Wienerschnitzel?

I think that's the reason. It just 'caught on' because it was easy to say.

Quite immature if you ask me. Bunch of 50 year old men acting worse then 17 year old kids.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:23 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Dave
Why would the feds care if it was called Poker Run?

Because in Texas, a guy got killed on a poker run down Houston way because the stops were at bars. He slammed down several beers at each stop, got drunk and killed himself. As a result, the Texas Attorney General outlawed "poker runs".

The still have them a few places in Texas but it is because the local authorities have decided to allow them. However, they don't call them poker runs.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:18 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

google "poker run" and you should find a good layout.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:50 AM
Thumper09
Road Warrior

Just another instance where one idiot caused the demise of certain gatherings of many.

When I go mountain biking down here on mountain biking-specific trails, I will get in fist fights with people I see riding without a helmet. They do not understand my aggression.

It is because we've had numerous parks closed down because one person rides without a helmet and crashes and smashes their head on coral rock. Their parents turn around and sue the park. They park, not having enough money for its defense, closes. Thousands of riders are now with one less place to ride.

So, if I see someone riding without a helmet, I will throw my bike at their face and point to the big giant signs that say "bicycling helmets required".

That idiot who did that in Texas should be brought back to life and then shot again.

grrrrr!! that makes me angry!!

Old 09-30-2008, 11:14 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree Thumper. That's why my original suggestion said to not have the stops at bars. At least you make an attempt to keep people from drinking and riding.

Quick Reply: Anyone know about Poker Runs?